Toast “Controlling” football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why the return of Ablett towards the end of the year will be so important. His delivery inside 50 remains elite. This is round about the time of year we'd want to manage his workload anyway, so hopefully he'll come back at the business end of the year fresh and ready to go.

The 'Gaz factor' could be enormous come this year's finals. In big games, the ability to capitalise when you have the footy in offensive situations is highly accentuated. When on song, he still does this better than anyone else in the comp.

I know the merry-go-round discussion about last year's PF can make your head spin. But another significant factor in us getting run down for mine was the fact that Junior was a shadow of himself throughout the finals series, having played too much footy through the H&A. It doesn't appear we will have that problem with him this year. So, if he gets back, look out...our efficiency up forward in crucial moments might just spike significantly.

About the only time this season any footy program has taken us seriously and put some work into explaining our game plan.
And the last time they did it we were flying at 11 - 1

Then it went pear shaped on the back of the public airing of how the small forwards were positioning and the oppo coached to negate it.

Im all for staying UTR

Go Catters

The coaches finally realised that getting the ball to the defensive back of the centre square is 60m closer to our goal with many more options going forward than “kicking down the line” near our defensive 50m.

It’s a long long way to goal from defensive side of the wing with few attacking options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve all been guilty at some point of lamenting our slow play. But credit where credit is due, we are just about perfecting the art of slow, methodical play. We are 18th for playing on from a mark, 1st for uncontested possessions and uncontested marks.

Meanwhile, our “slow backline” - which isn’t really so but is unconventionally tall - has been the subject of widespread criticism and blame for slow play for a long time. By now it should be very clear that (1) it’s not slow and even if you argue it is, it’s working extremely well, and (2) playing slowly is by design, not accident and it’s not the structure to “blame” but the coaching to laud.

I will also put in a strong word for hard running football, at whatever pace that is. The way Blicavs goes end to end filling space and cutting off delivery. The way Menegola gets to an unbelievable amount of contests. The up and down the ground of Miers. Tuohy just power running a wing. Duncan and Guthrie are also excellent runners. It all makes a huge difference to strangling the opposition. There‘s actually very little genuine speed - perhaps only Rohan really.

Fascinated to see where this brand of footy takes us.
Very good thread.

I'm not sure if it is premiership winning football as I have doubts it will hold up against Richmond and Collingwood.

I am also fascinated to see where this style of football takes us.

Very good thread.

I'm not sure if it is premiership winning football as I have doubts it will hold up against Richmond and Collingwood.

Not sure we need to worry about the pies, the way they are tracking.
Richmond will be a huge test, to see how the style goes against the pressure they'll likely bring.

Ok, I’ll put it into numbers:

2019/2020
Kicks: 10th/1st
Marks: 10th/3rd
Uncontested possessions: 15th/3rd
Effective disposals: 12th/3rd

It’s night and day.

It’s understandable you are reluctant to be bullish but facts are facts. See FredLeDeux sig.

Yeah, I agree. There's something different from the way they were playing last year. Even though they're still using the tempo footy, I think the Cats are playing much better in the midfield than last year. I have been critical of CS and the coaching team recently, but all credit to them because they've found something that's working. The good thing is, this year it's not something the opposition can stop as easily as they did last year with that forward set up they were using in the first half of the season that was exposed. I see a calm ruthlessness in the side at the moment. This is a group of men who have truly gelled as a team. A side like that can go far.

After reading this thread thru the week and watching Hawkins get so many 1 on 1's last night .,.. I feel we are either are playing quicker or being more clever with it . Im not sure what parameters id put it measure 'speed' ..how long do we handle the ball for each possession? It's hard to define.

id say we are selectively more direct. We go inside at times , and at others we don't. When Danger kicked long to Hawk last not that was not playing slow. It seems if side want to flood back then we will be more selective with the chess football. If they wish to press up then why try to break thru because we know scoring chances are there to be had.

Is anyone really calling the last two games slow football? Maybe St Kilda first quarter aside, this has been fast ball movement. Patient at times but still finding the open player by foot quickly and looking up the ground first. The lamented slow football is when we go sideways to the point of allowing the opposition to get back, having nothing on forward, and kicking it to a 50/50 down the line after all that. That's crap and ineffective. Maybe this is what we were trying to do in those games but factually we weren't. We looked uninspired and rudderless. Last couple of games have looked purposeful and if we're prepared to be a little pragmatic when the pressure is turned up it could well end up working out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone really calling the last two games slow football?
Slow football, at least as I intended it in this thread, refers to a few things:

1. The lament of supporters we have heard for years about playing slowly and not moving the ball quickly

2. Supporters erroneously referring to us being slow by virtue of our height

3. The updated strategy of 2020 which is being used to great effect which is built on controlling possession, often with very slow build-ups, in sending the ball forward.

Last night was the perfect combination of controlling the ball and a slow build up before releasing possession and sling-shotting forward. I would not describe it as slow, per se. But the central part of the plan was still denying Port the ball and a slow build-up from D50 until we had the space and the right kicker to deliver forward.

I dont prescribe to the ideological myth of ”finals pressure”, there are many games during the H/A season that have as much and somtimes more pressure Than finals matches. Its the same game plans and players.

If you want to be specific about game plan trends probably the hawks triple peat premiership game plan was the most pressureless uncontested brand of football you will see.. The finals games they played the opposition could hardly get the ball to off them, it was a precision passing game that resulted in a game of footy with hardly a pressure gauge at all. The ”pressure” stuff is as much a game style choice as anything an will pass phase into something else.

Well the way i saw it richmond easily accounted for brisbane and GWS by huge margins and only got over the line against us after a huge scare, out of the 3 finals they played they found our style far more difficult to come up against. So i would say our style was much moe challenging for them than fagans and camerons in september to deal with.
Contrary to the concept that pressure kills precision keepings off football, its the opposite. Controlling the ball and the tempo of the game completely removes the main advantage of banging the ball forward that teams like Richmond have.

We just didn’t have our best and most efficient kick our best forward on the night. Probably 3-4 goals right there. End of story.

Contrary to the concept that pressure kills precision keepings off football, its the opposite. Controlling the ball and the tempo of the game completely removes the main advantage of banging the ball forward that teams like Richmond have.

We just didn’t have our best and most efficient kick our best forward on the night. Probably 3-4 goals right there. End of story.

Agree entirely.

Think with pressure around the contest and to win the ball which is a multi slog fest of an entire team in the one area these days which is just moderb day stoppages and contested footy. The ability to win in these areas is only as good as your depth and bottom six... You need an all in approach and in our case over many years we havent had the depth or cattle on the park to sustain quality contested footy.

Seems to be an area we have improved on this season with players like fogarty parfitt simpson able to hold their own in a contested football situation with the ball being flicked around in motion both defensively and offensively

Very good thread.

The same Pies that s**t themselves V Melbourne?

The Tigers I get.

GO Catters

The pies will be lucky to even make the 8.
That's what we have to hope for. They still worry me even finishing 8th.

I think it's become quite clear that this "slow" football has been the game plan that the club has worked hard towards for quite a while. We finally have the balance right, we know when to go forward with pace and when to hold back. Round 1 against GWS we were too happy to go quick and lost our structure, and in return we got easily burnt on the turnover. Against Carlton, the opposite, we were too risk averse and got dominated in the centre. Without Stanley against WCE it showed that we don't need a dominant ruck, but we need that presence to keep the opposition ruck accountable at least. Because centre clearance goals are out biggest weakness. The 6-6-6 stops us from controlling the ball from defence (I'm sure we'd always start with a man behind the ball by choice with this game style).

When looking at the Richmond prelim through this perspective, it becomes clear how pivotal Hawkins is to it all. Those one on ones we can generate for him, to allow for easy goals 20m out straight in front, are essential for finals football. For too long we relied on skill and flukey goals to stay in the contest. But now, we have a genuine, reliable avenue to goal that can be easily replicated. That stands up in finals. That's the difference this year.

Agree entirely.

Think with pressure around the contest and to win the ball which is a multi slog fest of an entire team in the one area these days which is just moderb day stoppages and contested footy. The ability to win in these areas is only as good as your depth and bottom six... You need an all in approach and in our case over many years we havent had the depth or cattle on the park to sustain quality contested footy.

Seems to be an area we have improved on this season with players like fogarty parfitt simpson able to hold their own in a contested football situation with the ball being flicked around in motion both defensively and offensively
Yep - and let’s not forget the little ‘Cyril Rioli’ acts that actually do change the tide of the game. Not talking about goals - I’m talking about the flicks and bumps of the ball forward, the smothers, the intercepts. Some of these do not register a possession.
During the recent game, there were so many moments where the ball was hot and in congestion and our team (especially defenders) stuck a hand out or flicked it forward, completely breaking that surge by Port.
We are not too bad at contests either or clearing the ball out of a contest situation.

There are distinct differences in 2020's version of "Slow" football and seasons past.
Most notably: physically slow play v mentally slow play.
ie: short quick kicks rather than waiting for the umpire to call "play on" then kicking down the line.
Physically slow play creates mental slowness resulting in skill errors.
Unlike quick instinctive play, slow play builds tension and pressure to find the perfect kick.
Slower play limits options so increases predictability.
Slower play is easier for opposition to defend and to set up their counter-attack.
Slower play allows opposition to jog back and rest up for their next lightning counter-attack.
Previously everyone would flood back into defense with few outlet targets.
Previously shorts kicks were to stationary players, now players offer multiple leads and targets.
Players are kicking to a target player's advantage not just long long down the line.
Fast short kicks force defenders to chase, confuse defensive setup and trap them out of position with a long kick.
Defenders now race out of defense en-mass intent to maintain forward ball momentum (Shades of Bris Lions/Matthews)
Teammates rushing ahead creates lose-man overlap and maintains forward ball momentum.
Hawkins stays forward to provide one on one target for fast breaks when attacking.
Ball is kicked long into space over heads of defenders with Cats forwards running toward goal. (defenders nightmare)
Players skills and body strength has improved along with better understand in the new controlled tempo game style.
All the defenders are more composed/experienced especially Bews. O'Connor, Henry, Kolo.

Saw an interview where one of the players said that during our last decent break, the team spent a lot of time practicing ball movement, and drilling into the players the way they want to move the ball. I think this was the week before the west coast game.

Looks like it is working now.
Never forget, Matthew Scarlett and Cory Enright were part of the Immortal premiership team that moved the ball so fluidly from the backline. They’d definitely have a lot to teach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back