“The extra day’s break...”

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I have been impressed with Richmond’s ability to blow sides away in the last quarter which has almost become a common theme this season.

I thought I’d see how the fixture has transpired for the Tigers and thought it’d be an interesting talking point.

The info below is based on the amount of days difference between the two sides the week prior to that game. Obviously, Round 1 will be equal as neither side would’ve had a game the week prior.

Round 1: equal vs Carlton (W)
Round 2: 1 day extra vs Adelaide (L)
Round 3: 4 days extra vs Hawthorn (W)
Round 4: 1 day less vs Brisbane (W)
Round 5: 1 day extra vs Melbourne (W)
Round 6: 1 day extra vs Collingwood (W)
Round 7: equal vs Fremantle (W)
Round 8: 1 day less vs North (W)
Round 9: 1 day less vs WCE (L)
Round 10: 1 day less vs St Kilda (W)
Round 11: equal vs Essendon (W)
Round 12: equal vs Port (L)
Round 13: 1 day extra vs Geelong (W)
Round 14: Bye (Sydney too)
Round 15: equal vs Sydney (W)
Round 16: 2 days extra vs Adelaide (W)
Round 17: 2 days extra vs GWS (L)
Round 18: 1 day less vs St Kilda (W)
Round 19: 1 day extra vs Collingwood
Round 20: equal vs Geelong
Round 21: 2 days extra vs GCS
Round 22: 1 day less vs Essendon
Round 23: 2 days extra vs Bulldogs

10 games with extra break than the opposition. (5 times vs top 8 side)

6 games with equal day’s break as opposition. (3 times vs top 8 side)

6 games with less break time than the opposition. (1 time vs top 8 side)

Tigers are the side to beat, regardless of the above, they have blown sides away in the last because they have been legitimately better but having only had to play another top 8 side once with less break time is a far better proposition than the other way around, thus this post.

As a comparison, I’ve had a look at Collingwood’s break times compared to their opponent. Collingwood has the extra break 5 times, equal amount 7 times and less day break 9 times.

I plead with Tigers supporters to keep this on topic and discuss the above, whether you think it’s relevant or not, and not turn this into a Collingwood vs Richmond shitfest like other threads have gone.

I repeat I’m not making excuses for Richmond winning and acknowledge they’ve been the best side this season, simple.

Early season matches with greater breaks are less beneficial as teams are fresher as a whole.

Likewise immediately following the bye.

How many of the matches where Richmond get an extra day are 8 to 7 day breaks, as opposed to 7 to 6 day breaks? The latter are less beneficial.

Early season matches with greater breaks are less beneficial as teams are fresher as a whole.

Likewise immediately following the bye.

How many of the matches where Richmond get an extra day are 8 to 7 day breaks, as opposed to 7 to 6 day breaks? The latter are less beneficial.
I agree with all of the above.

The only thing I took out of my OP that bothered me was the disparity between top 8 sides and bottom 8 sides for extra/less games. Only the one game (vs WCE) where you had less days break.

I have been impressed with Richmond’s ability to blow sides away in the last quarter which has almost become a common theme this season.

I thought I’d see how the fixture has transpired for the Tigers and thought it’d be an interesting talking point.

The info below is based on the amount of days difference between the two sides the week prior to that game. Obviously, Round 1 will be equal as neither side would’ve had a game the week prior.

Tigers are the side to beat, regardless of the above, they have blown sides away in the last because they have been legitimately better but having only had to play another top 8 side once with less break time is a far better proposition than the other way around, thus this post.

As a comparison, I’ve had a look at Collingwood’s break times compared to their opponent. Collingwood has the extra break 5 times, equal amount 7 times and less day break 9 times.

I plead with Tigers supporters to keep this on topic and discuss the above, whether you think it’s relevant or not, and not turn this into a Collingwood vs Richmond shitfest like other threads have gone.

I repeat I’m not making excuses for Richmond winning and acknowledge they’ve been the best side this season, simple.
Fair enough. Your point is valid. If it were up to me we'd go to 9 matches all starting at 2.00pm Saturday, but I'm as old as the hills

I was too young to enjoy enough of it. I wish I could’ve done it with my little one.
Any overlap between the VFL/AFL Pies playing Vic Park/MCG respectively? We usually get 1 or 2 VFL Richmond matches at Punt Rd on the morning of an AFL game at the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any overlap between the VFL/AFL Pies playing Vic Park/MCG respectively? We usually get 1 or 2 VFL Richmond matches at Punt Rd on the morning of an AFL game at the MCG
Something I will definitely keep an eye out for next season!

Don't think extra day means much. Buckley said on SEN during the week something like club physios don't believe a 7 day break is even enough for a full recovery.
Im no sports scientists, and wouldn’t have a clue if it would even make a difference.

I guess I try find some sort of evidence for the Tigers ability to go another gear in the last whilst the opposition comes to a screeching halt.

It’s truly a sign of a quality side, but it will help a side having an extra day as one day less would hinder them also.

In no way is this ‘rigged’ or planned, or a justification as to why, but I thought I’d look at it and found it stood out for me.

Do it for 18 teams and work out the median and compare that to Richmond. Then come back to me. This is your homework over the weekend.

Stop looking for others reasons why successful teams are successful other than them being better.

You can't really call playing a night game and the other team playing the 1pm game the next day an extra day break, by the time you get home and get to sleep it's 1 or 2 am it's half a day at best given the disruption to sleep and recovery.

Do it for 18 teams and work out the median and compare that to Richmond. Then come back to me. This is your homework over the weekend.

Stop looking for others reasons why successful teams are successful other than them being better.

this. useless info without any reference points

The best thing for the MB is for there to be a moratorium on Richmond themed threads. It would be really cool and different.
Premise for the OP is flawed until you judge it and compare it to all 18 teams.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Remove this Banner Ad

Back