”The Essendon fans are the real victims of this”

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
I have heard this parroted around a lot since the verdict yesterday. Is anyone else not buying it?

The reason I say this is I have a close friend who is a life-long Bombers fan. Within a few months of the scandal breaking he had written to the club a number of times regarding the wrong path the club was taking with “standing by Hird” and eventually he ended up cancelling his premium membership (making it explicitly clear to the club that he would not be a member until they had faced up to the problems). I also have a brother-in-law who is a life-long Bombers fan who did pretty much the same thing for him and his Bomber supporting teenage son.

In contrast, I have loads of Bomber fan mates (being a 36 year old, the Bombers are easily the most supported fan group amongst my mates as they were winning premierships when we were starting out school) who have taken the “stand by Hird” “there’s a conspiracy against us” point of view that is seen so much on the HTB and Essendon team boards.

What I want to put to everyone is, do you think that if the majority of Essendon fans had acted in protest against the club like my 2 examples at the top, they would have forced the club’s hand in getting rid of Hird earlier and facing up to what they have done?

My opinion is that the cult-like mentality surrounding Hird combined with the fact that many of the adult Bombers fans have developed an arrogant and entitled “born-to-rule” mentality due to them only having known success from a young age means this sort of scandal could only happen at a club like Essendon with the supporters they have. I really believe that other club’s supporters would have run the board/coach out pretty early on in the piece.

In other words, Essendon fans that went along with their club and didn’t demand heads rolled are not innocent victims here, they in fact play a part in this whole fiasco.

I have heard this parroted around a lot since the verdict yesterday. Is anyone else not buying it?

In other words, Essendon fans that went along with their club and didn’t demand heads rolled are not innocent victims here, they in fact play a part in this whole fiasco.

Great post. Stand by hird. Mexican hats. The supporters need to admit they played a part, a big part, or else they will never be able to move on as a club.

They were victims - more accurately fair game - the day they nailed their colours to that rotten mast.

The Coterie Club at EFC would be cursing today.

Should ring Mick and make him shut everyone up like they did with Shane-o mate. Hey mate.

Great post. Stand by hird. Mexican hats. The supporters need to admit they played a part, a big part, or else they will never be able to move on as a club.

Yeah, agree. I also think the fact that so many adult Bomber fans came into supporting the club when they were winning. It breeds a certain supporter culture, especially in a city like Melbourne where you have loads of teams to choose from and where suburban loyalties don't necessarily exist when it comes to who you'll support (as in, you can support Collingwood but live anywhere in Melbourne/Victoria and it won't be strange).

Seeing the way their supporters behaved has been fascinating from a people-watching perspective but pretty scary as well at times.

Yeah, agree. I also think the fact that so many adult Bomber fans came into supporting the club when they were winning. It breeds a certain supporter culture, especially in a city like Melbourne where you have loads of teams to choose from and where suburban loyalties don't necessarily exist when it comes to who you'll support (as in, you can support Collingwood but live anywhere in Melbourne/Victoria and it won't be strange).

Seeing the way their supporters behaved has been fascinating from a people-watching perspective but pretty scary as well at times.

Nah, they have been Hirds since day one.

Back in cable trams times.

It is their nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Essendon people who knew what went on was wrong and wanted everyone involved punished, I have sympathy for.

The ones who were standbyhird douchebags and thought the whole thing was a conspiracy against them, that Essendon was too big to fail, too important etc., the karma train has hit them hard

I agree, very very self entitled fanbase of extreme proportions. Like it was an affront anyone questioned anything they did, because they were Essendon and above reproach (at least in many supporters eyes, which is odd considering their list of past indiscretions even prior to this).

As I said in another thread, they have a lot of friends in high places, and brainwashed many of their followers into thinking they were some kind of squeaky clean moral custodians of football.

I feel sorry for their fans as I feel sorry for the game. This isn't a good day for the game of Australian football - which is in a competitive market with three imported English codes of football - soccer, rugby league and rugby union.

I am sure the AFL will step in to make sure Essendon fans don't go through the 20 years of pain as Carlton fans have received as a result of the actions of their management in relation to the salary cap in the early 2000s. 20 years of pain is too much even for Essendon supporters.

Of course they are victims, lied to be their club. No doubt they were going to believe what the club told them, but now it has been proven that they were lied to. They should vote with their wallets and not renew memberships until everyone associated with this saga is out of the club.

Have got to know some Bomber posters on this board who I really like. Married to a Bomber. Some good mates are Bombers

There are delusionists but most of the people I know (or get to know maybe) are pretty reasonable

But clearly there are delusionists and Tanners presser is a clear indication of this. Chicken or the egg - maybe the club itself engenders this attitude ....not sure

Don't we all have those times we blindly follow the club we love? We want to believe them when they tell us it's all going to be ok and they have things under control? We went through it at Port Adelaide albeit in a financial and coaching mess way and luckily we pulled through.

Following footy is like a religion to many of us and some religions have cultists. I feel for Essendon supporters, my wife included, who feel cheated by Hird, the board and now the players. What do you do though, do you swap religions (clubs) or do you lose faith (in the code)?

****ed if I know but waking up an Essendon supporter this morning wouldn't be easy.

I absolutely loathed what the Demons did in the last 8 years. Quite a few angry emails and a lot of despondency. Can only imagine there are are fans who care about their club and the game who have suffered through. Those I feel sympathy for.

Others who deny any wrongdoing? Well they can go * themselves.

Very few Essendon fans I know could impartially look at this scenario and come to the same realization that the overwhelming majority of AFL fans could. That being that the EFC ran a roughshod, seemingly clandestine, supplement regime that was amateur at best and sinister at worst.

The #standbyhird campaign was so embarrassing and seemingly hysterical that you could only come to the realization that most AFL fans are lemmings and cannot think for themselves.

They prayed at the altar of Hird and got what blind, unquestioned faith can deserve.

Don't we all have those times we blindly follow the club we love? We want to believe them when they tell us it's all going to be ok and they have things under control? We went through it at Port Adelaide albeit in a financial and coaching mess way and luckily we pulled through.

Following footy is like a religion to many of us and some religions have cultists. I feel for Essendon supporters, my wife included, who feel cheated by Hird, the board and now the players. What do you do though, do you swap religions (clubs) or do you lose faith (in the code)?

****ed if I know but waking up an Essendon supporter this morning wouldn't be easy.
There's definitely an element of this. (Seen it on my own board from time to time even....)

Very few Essendon fans I know could impartially look at this scenario and come to the same realization that the overwhelming majority of AFL fans could. That being that the EFC ran a roughshod, seemingly clandestine, supplement regime that was amateur at best and sinister at worst.

The #standbyhird campaign was so embarrassing and seemingly hysterical that you could only come to the realization that most AFL fans are lemmings and cannot think for themselves.

They prayed at the altar of Hird and got what blind, unquestioned faith can deserve.
alright - but why are pollies etc doing the same line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back