Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
Would this be the first time that an state in the US (New England/boston) had won both the World Series and Super Bowl in their same seasons/years ?
I know NE won the Bowl last year but It would be an great way for the City of boston/state of new england if they had the super bowl champs as well.

GO YOU PATROITS

BTW I know next to nothing about Gridiron really, but I support all teams that hail from the Boston/New England area.

(04/05) NFL Super Bowl XXXIX: New England vs Philadelphia

sb39.png

PATRIOTS 24 d. EAGLES 21

Game summary

On the first drive of the game, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb fumbled while being sacked by New England linebacker Willie McGinest, and the Patriots recovered the ball at Philadelphia's 34 yard line. Fortunately for the Eagles, coach Andy Reid's instant replay challenge overruled the fumble; officials ruled that McNabb had been down by contact before the ball came out of his hands. Later in the quarter after each team had punted twice, McNabb completed a 30-yard pass to Terrell Owens, with a roughing the passer penalty adding 9 yards, moving the ball inside the Patriots 20 yard line. However, linebacker Mike Vrabel sacked McNabb for a 16-yard loss on the next play. On the following play, the Eagles once again appeared to turn the ball over: McNabb's pass was intercepted in the end zone by Patriots defensive back Asante Samuel, but it was nullified by an illegal contact penalty on linebacker Roman Phifer, moving the ball back inside the 20 and giving the Eagles a first down. However, McNabb's second chance was wasted as he threw an interception to safety Rodney Harrison on the next play.

The Eagles defense then forced New England to a three-and-out on their ensuing possession, and Philadelphia got great field position by receiving the punt at the Patriots 45 yard line. But once again, they gave up another turnover: tight end L.J. Smith lost a fumble while being tackled by defensive back Randall Gay, and Samuel recovered the ball at the 38.

The Eagles defense once again forced New England to punt, and got the ball back at their own 19 yard line. Aided by a pair of completions from McNabb to receiver Todd Pinkston for gains of 17 and 40 yards, the Eagles drove 81 yards in 9 plays and scored on McNabb's 6-yard touchdown pass to Smith, taking a 7–0 lead with 9:55 left in the second quarter. It was the first time New England trailed during the entire postseason. On their ensuing drive, the Patriots moved the ball to the Eagles 4-yard line, mainly on plays by Corey Dillon, who caught two screen passes for 29 yards and rushed for 25. But quarterback Tom Brady fumbled the ball on a fake handoff and Philadelphia defender Darwin Walker recovered it. However, the Eagles could not take advantage of the turnover and had to punt after 3 plays. Eagles punter Dirk Johnson's punt went just 29 yards, giving the Patriots the ball at Philadelphia's 37 yard line. The Patriots then drove 37 yards to score on Brady's 4-yard pass to receiver David Givens with 1:10 remaining in the period, tying the game 7–7 by halftime. It was only the second halftime tie in Super Bowl history and the first time both of the game's first 2 quarters ended tied.

On the opening drive of the second half, Patriots receiver Deion Branch caught 4 passes for 71 yards on a drive that ended with Brady's 2-yard pass to Vrabel, who lined up at the tight end spot on the play. The Eagles later tied the game with 3:39 left in the third period with a 74-yard, 10-play drive that was capped by McNabb's 10-yard touchdown pass to running back Brian Westbrook. For the first time in Super Bowl history, the game was tied going into the fourth quarter.

Early in the final period, the Patriots put together a 9-play, 66-yard scoring drive that was keyed by 3 plays from running back Kevin Faulk, who caught 2 passes for 27 combined yards and rushed once for 12. Dillon capped off the drive with a 2-yard touchdown run to give the Patriots a 21-14 lead. Then after forcing another Eagles punt, Branch's 19-yard reception and a roughing-the-passer penalty on Philadelphia defensive lineman Corey Simon set up kicker Adam Vinatieri's 22-yard field goal with 8:43 left in the game to increase the score 24–14.

The Eagles responded by advancing to the New England 36-yard line on their next drive, but it ended with no points after linebacker Tedy Bruschi intercepted a pass from McNabb at the Patriots 24-yard line. After forcing New England to punt, Philadelphia got the ball back at their own 21-yard line with 5:40 left in the game.

The Eagles then drove 79 yards in 13 plays to cut their deficit to 24–21 with McNabb's 30-yard touchdown pass to receiver Greg Lewis. However, the drive consumed 3:52 of the clock, and only 1:55 remained in the game by the time Lewis scored. Because of this, many sportswriters later criticized the Eagles for not immediately going to a no-huddle offense at the start of the possession. (Two days after the game, some Eagles players revealed that McNabb was so sick that he had trouble calling the plays.)

The Eagles failed to recover their ensuing onside kick attempt. The Patriots then played it safe by running the ball 3 times and forcing Philadelphia to use all of its timeouts. New England punter Josh Miller then pinned the Eagles back at their own 4-yard line with just 46 seconds left in the game. Philadelphia then tried one last desperate drive to win or tie the game. But on first down, McNabb was pressured into making a rushed pass to Westbrook at the line of scrimmage. Instead of dropping the pass to stop the clock, Westbrook made the mistake of catching the ball and was immediately tackled for no gain, keeping the clock running and forcing the Eagles to run back to the line of scrimmage for their next play with no huddle. On second down, McNabb threw an incomplete pass intended for Owens. Finally on third down, McNabb threw a pass that went just over the outstretched fingertips of Smith and into the arms of Harrison for an interception with 9 seconds left, sealing the victory for the Patriots.

[edit] Scoring summary

* PHI - TD: L.J. Smith 6 yard pass from Donovan McNabb (David Akers kick) 7-0 PHI
* NE - TD: David Givens 4 yard pass from Tom Brady (Adam Vinatieri kick) 7-7 tie
* NE - TD: Mike Vrabel 2 yard pass from Tom Brady (Adam Vinatieri kick) 14-7 NE
* PHI - TD: Brian Westbrook 10 yard pass from Donovan McNabb (David Akers kick) 14-14 tie
* NE - TD: Corey Dillon 2 yard run (Adam Vinatieri kick) 21-14 NE
* NE - FG: Adam Vinatieri 22 yards 24-14 NE
* PHI - TD: Greg Lewis 30 yard pass from Donovan McNabb (David Akers kick) 24-21 NE

[edit] Final statistics

[edit] Overview

McNabb completed 30 out of 51 passes for 357 yards and 3 touchdowns, but threw 3 interceptions and was sacked four times. Westbrook was the Eagles leading rusher with 44 yards, while also catching 6 passes for 70 yards and a touchdown and returning 3 punts for 19 yards. Pinkston caught 4 passes for 82 yards. Owens was the Eagles' top receiver with 9 catches for 122 yards.

Brady completed 23 out of 33 passes for 236 yards and 2 touchdowns. Dillon was the top rusher of the game with 75 yards and a touchdown, and had 3 catches for 31 yards. Branch's Super Bowl record 11 catches tied Cincinnati Bengals' Dan Ross in Super Bowl XVI and San Francisco 49ers' Jerry Rice in Super Bowl XXIII. (Coincidentally all 3 would eventually be traded to the Seattle Seahawks: Ross in 1985, Rice in 2004, and Branch in 2006). Running back Kevin Faulk contributed 38 rushing yards and 27 receiving yards.

Branch and Terrell Owens each had 100 yards receiving, marking the third time in Super Bowl history, one player from each team had over 100 yards in a Super Bowl. Michael Irvin and Andre Reed were the first in Super Bowl XXVII, and Branch and Muhsin Muhammad the second a year earlier in Super Bowl XXXVIII. Branch also became the fourth player to have at least 100 yards receiving in back-to-back Super Bowls, joining John Stallworth, Jerry Rice and Antonio Freeman. Also, Mike Vrabel and David Givens became just the 14th and 15th players to score a touchdown in consecutive Super Bowls. Vrabel is the most surprising person on this list because he is a linebacker and he scored his on offense. They also became just the 7th and 8th players to catch a touchdown in back-to-back Super Bowls.

With the victory, Tom Brady became just the fourth quarterback to win at least three Super Bowls. He joined Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman on this exclusive list. Brady also became the fourth quarterback to throw a touchdown pass in three different Super Bowls. Other quarterbacks to do it were Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and John Elway.

Re: When New England spank Philly

Don'tcha just love these 'BLOW INs' come SB time.... :rolleyes:

Celtic_Pride should crawl back under the four leaf clover and don't come around here no more......STOP !!

Being a bit harsh here guys. Regardless of his lack of knowledge on American geography he does raise a good point. The New England Patriots do play at Gillette Stadium at Foxborough Boston and were originally called the Boston Patriots. They just changed their name to broaden their appeal, a bit like Footscray->Western Bulldogs. If New England won the superbowl I think it would probably be the first time that teams from the same city won the superbowl and the world series in the one season, even if they don't have the same name.

Not worth worrying about, as its not going to happen.

Closest would've been the Eagles/Flyers double if the NHL lockout hadn't happened.

To answer your question celtic, it has happened before.

In fact the most recent I'd forgotten about. Same State not city.

2003 - Tampa (NFL) & the Marlins (MLB)

Before that :

1989 - San Francisco (NFL) and Oakland (MLB) {beat San Francisco in WS}

And how could Woodson forget :

1979 - Pittsburgh (NFL & MLB) :cool:

E-A-G-L-E-S
IGGLES!!!!!!!!!
Hope it is a good game, but we're going for the mighty Iggs to come out on top....Brady hasn't seena blitzing team like the mean green machine.....

usalion said:
Brady hasn't seena blitzing team like the mean green machine.....
That's my theory ;) And with the possibility of TO coming back for the Superbowl we would have more options to go to.. Looking forward to next monday although i cant see it cos i have to work
mad.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JeffDunne said:
And how could Woodson forget :

1979 - Pittsburgh (NFL & MLB) :cool:

I'm not a Pirate... GO YANKEES ~~~~ :p

celtic_pride said:
Would this be the first time that an state in the US (New England/boston) had won both the World Series and Super Bowl in their same seasons/years ?
I know NE won the Bowl last year but It would be an great way for the City of boston/state of new england if they had the super bowl champs as well.

GO YOU PATROITS

BTW I know next to nothing about Gridiron really, but I support all teams that hail from the Boston/New England area.
Been a fan of the Patriots for years and over the last four or five seasons it been a great ride. I won't be missing this game.

usalion said:
E-A-G-L-E-S
IGGLES!!!!!!!!!
Hope it is a good game, but we're going for the mighty Iggs to come out on top....Brady hasn't seena blitzing team like the mean green machine.....

Yeah mate...keep that dream alive!!!

McNabb will crumble and choke once again while Brady ....well he'll just keep being Brady!! :D

PATS will win this by double digits.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK

TO is playing.

Brady will not be able to cope with Philly's aggressive D...they'll be forcing him to scramble.

Porthos said:
TO is playing.

Brady will not be able to cope with Philly's aggressive D...they'll be forcing him to scramble.

So TO comes back 4 weeks before his doctor recommends....sounds like the act of desperation to me. After he has his first couple of "big hits" from NE he'll be a non factor in the result. Eagles have started the trash-talking already while NE just quietly goes about their business.

New England is the far superior team. Repeat "TEAM"

They have "hammered" superior outfits to Philly in a more difficult conference. Look what they did to Indy and the Steelers!! Expect the same on Monday.

Also, this is the first year that Vegas has "factored in" the Coach when setting the line for this game!! Superior Team with the superior coach.

Don't get me wrong...the Eagles are probably my second team after...the Phins (shhh!). But from a betting standpoint the Pats -7 is the only place I can put my dollar$$!! :cool:

COOL-A-ROO said:
Yeah mate...keep that dream alive!!!

McNabb will crumble and choke once again while Brady ....well he'll just keep being Brady!! :D

PATS will win this by double digits.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK

Brady- very good QB, but this is the spot for DM to shine, and he really has not choked in the past- in two of the NFC title games, he got hurt, cutting down effectiveness- and is WR corps dropped everything in sight. Yup, the Patsies are favs and rightly so, but I look for the mighty Iggle D to shut down the Patsies- maybe even convert a turnover or two into points- and McNabb and Co to do enough to win- with TO getting a TD catch- that'll be one to see. No blowout, but a close, relatively low scoring game.

PATSIES GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

COOL-A-ROO said:
They have "hammered" superior outfits to Philly in a more difficult conference. Look what they did to Indy and the Steelers!! Expect the same on Monday.

Correction COOL-A-ROO.

The Steelers LOST thier own game...handing the Patsies turnovers is asking for trouble. If the Eagles can avoid turnovers, creat some of thier own, I can see an upset on the cards. I think alot of ppl get bluffed by the 41-27 scoreline in the AFC CC. The NE O-line was the difference to giving Brady the chance to make the play. With the Eagles blitzing, it'll be interesting if the Pats do the same, straight down the guts to start fast otherwise it'll be up to McNabb to propel the game into overdrive with his size and targets. I doubt a NE double digit victory. Pats have holes in thier D and it's a matter of McNabb finding them early and converting them into points. Definately over the number game.

Woodson said:
Definately over the number game.

Pats WILL score at least 24 points minimum. The question is can Philly top 21 to go over the number? :confused:

Pats need to score more in order for it to go over.

Still pondering this bet. SBs usually a high scoring affair. Two very good defenses coming to play. Perhaps a Pats / Over tease!!

Still thinking.

COOL-A-ROO said:
Pats WILL score at least 24 points minimum. The question is can Philly top 21 to go over the number? :confused:

Pats need to score more in order for it to go over.

Still pondering this bet. SBs usually a high scoring affair. Two very good defenses coming to play. Perhaps a Pats / Over tease!!

Still thinking.

Don't tell me I've put doubts into your head.... :D tease indeed.

No doubts on the Pats here Woodson!! Just think the total is trickier to get. Smaller play on the tease, thats all.

Not going overboard in this one....after all, it is just another game!! :D

Hopefully an entertaining affair with the Patriots winning by 8 or more.

Good luck to all if you are having a punt on it.

Woodson said:
Correction COOL-A-ROO.

The Steelers LOST thier own game...handing the Patsies turnovers is asking for trouble. If the Eagles can avoid turnovers, creat some of thier own, I can see an upset on the cards. I think alot of ppl get bluffed by the 41-27 scoreline in the AFC CC. The NE O-line was the difference to giving Brady the chance to make the play. With the Eagles blitzing, it'll be interesting if the Pats do the same, straight down the guts to start fast otherwise it'll be up to McNabb to propel the game into overdrive with his size and targets. I doubt a NE double digit victory. Pats have holes in thier D and it's a matter of McNabb finding them early and converting them into points. Definately over the number game.

Not true woodson!! You can only do what the opposition lets tou do. The patriots took full advantage of opportunites given to them and converted. A good team will always do that.By the way, any team with the defence that the steelers were claimed to have should have been able to hold the patriots to FGs instead of TDs.

By the way, go the pats!! Will the first score be A pats FG or pats TD. Seeing though they have scored first in EVERY GAME this year, what will it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back