Toast 0wned

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Round 2, 1998. Twilight game in Round 2. They were 41 up at half time and ended up winning by 25. Doesn't sound that bad, but they were last in 1997 and it wasn't known early in the year that they'd actually improved as much as they did.

They 1986 loss was a disaster. We had to win our last 6 to make the finals. We won four straight including sides battling for our spot, Footscray and Fitzroy, the previous two weeks so it came down to a regulation win against 11th placed Melbourne and then a tough one against Essendon at Windy Hill in the last week. Melbourne beat us by 85 points with David Williams kicking 9. We beat Essendon the next week but it didn't matter. We missed the finals by percentage.

The game we won in 1998 was in Round 17 by 55 points. The game was in the balance at 3/4 time but we kicked 10 goals to 2 in the last quarter. Carey kicked 8. Melbourne then won 7 games straight until losing to us in the Preliminary Final.

One of my favourite Melbourne wins was in 2000. We were outscored by 18 points in the 1st quarter, 19 in the 3rd and 20 in the last - but 11 goals to 2 in the second quarter won us the game by a point. Thoroughly outplayed for three quarters but won the game...amazing.

Another 1 point win was in 1999. Melbourne had fallen away a bit in 1999 but they took it right up to us in Round 12 - leading by 19 points early in the last quarter. We kicked the last 2 goals of the game to get the margin back to six points 10mins into the last quarter. From there we kicked 8 consecutive points to hit the front late in the game. Melbourne kicked the last point but lost despite kicking two more goals during the match (14.8-92 to 12.21-93).

Keeping on the 1 point theme was the first of the 14 straight wins. Again, we were expected to win well and looked to be on track early in the last with 5 goals to Shannon Grant and a 35 point lead. The Dees then kicked the next 7 goals in the next 20mins to get a 6pt lead. But a poor kick out by Travis Johnstone ended up with a young Andrew Swallow who just made the distance from 50 to snatch the game. Again, we won with less goals (11.12-78 to 10.19-79)

Now I wonder why that 1986 game hurt so much 30 years ago and that explains why.

I also remember going with my mate. It was one of the few games that we both got to go to together. We planned it out for weeks before. Get the train down from the bush...do this that and the other in the City and then go to watch us smash s**t Melbourne.

85 point loss.

The pain never goes away.

shiraz

Team Captain
Jan 14, 2009
Cambodia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No. Same season though. Later that year we led them by about 4 goals at half time but capitulated and lost by 50 with Neitz kicking 8. No current Melbourne player has played in a win against us for Melbourne. Nathan Jones has played in all 14 losses.
Fantastic stats work but I think you might be mistaken. Jones played in the game mentioned above. It was his 4th game, and he even got 2 brownlow votes (after Neitz, 3 votes)!

Too bad because I was definitely using that one this w/e

How many members did we have way back then?
2016-04-08_12-52-49.png

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This thread never gets old.

16 consecutive wins in a row against GoDees (equal club record against any club).

12 games in a row scoring 100+ points against GoDees (equal 10th longest streak in VFL/AFL history over one club).

Haven't lost to GoDees since 2006. The last time we lost to GoDees Sav Rocca was playing for us, and Brad Scott was still playing footy.

0wned... and loving it.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Between 2007 and 2010 I used to have a bet with a mate from school every time we played Melbourne and he would always pay up. By year 12 in 2010 it had been 4 years and he used to joke about how rich he made me with all the bets I won. It's been 7 years since and they still haven't beaten us. How time flys and how things stay the same.

Fun fact: if you bet a Melbourne fan a six pack of beer at the start of the streak and kept going double or nothing until yesterday, you would now have over 32,000 six packs. That's over 70,000 litres of beer, which is roughly enough to de-ice 2,800 snowed in Range Rovers at Mt Buller.

Never gets old.

We could win another 16 and it would just about make up for the embarrassment of the '87 Elimination Final.
Right up there with the '83 Prelim (where I was sitting behind the * cheer squad) as the worst day ever at the footy.

Back