AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Francis turned 20 three weeks ago and has played 5 AFL games.

Do you think he would deserve it over a rookie? I don't think so, it's a far bigger achievement by the rookie.

Do you think he would deserve it over a rookie? I don't think so, it's a far bigger achievement by the rookie.
Eh. Looking at the history of the award if that's the criteria then that's the criteria. But all else being equal the younger player should have the edge, as it's a bigger achievement with one pre-season and less than one year in an AFL environment with AFL coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh. Looking at the history of the award if that's the criteria then that's the criteria. But all else being equal the younger player should have the edge, as it's a bigger achievement with one pre-season and less than one year in an AFL environment with AFL coaching.

Should have made myself clearer, I was actually questioning the criteria.

I think age 21 and under 10 games is fine. But 2nd or 3rd year players probably have to be close too AA or have to be extreme standouts to win it over a 1st year player.

Eh. Like I said, it is what it is. You could pick holes in the criteria and circumstances for literally any other award too if you wanted to, up to and including the premiership flag. At the end of the day the award is the award, the winner is the winner, and it carries only as much weight as people choose to give it.

Eh. Like I said, it is what it is. You could pick holes in the criteria and circumstances for literally any other award too if you wanted to, up to and including the premiership flag. At the end of the day the award is the award, the winner is the winner, and it carries only as much weight as people choose to give it.
I know it is what it is but I'm simply stating an opinion that I believe the criteria is flawed

the hawthorn melt was both anticipated and well accepted.

mcgrath handled the pressure well and the win was well deserved. Only problem now is the bastard will put pressure on the cap in coming years!

I think age 21 and under 10 games is fine. But 2nd or 3rd year players probably have to be close too AA or have to be extreme standouts to win it over a 1st year player.

Depends on the field. I think Burton had an equitable year to Heppell when he won it, its just that Heppell didn't have to beat out a McGrath

So with the criteria, effectively a guy could have had three preseasons and be eligible as long as he hasn't turned 21 Jan 1st and has played less than 10 games. 3x preseasons, that's bs

The system is designed so that it isn't purely a midfielder award. Taller players typically take longer to develop which means that many might not play until their second or third years on the list. As long as you have a cut-off it will inevitably be arbitrary unless we want 25 year old mature age players winning the award.

As it is, I firmly believe that they handicap the award in favour of younger players; that is if an 18 year old and a 21 year old had identical seasons then the 18 year old would win the award. I'm pretty sure that McGrath being 18 months younger gave him a slight advantage in a tight contest. We can probably say the same about the year Heppell won it.

The system is designed so that it isn't purely a midfielder award. Taller players typically take longer to develop which means that many might not play until their second or third years on the list. As long as you have a cut-off it will inevitably be arbitrary unless we want 25 year old mature age players winning the award.

As it is, I firmly believe that they handicap the award in favour of younger players; that is if an 18 year old and a 21 year old had identical seasons then the 18 year old would win the award. I'm pretty sure that McGrath being 18 months younger gave him a slight advantage in a tight contest. We can probably say the same about the year Heppell won it.
Good points, didn't think of it that way. Big fan of U.S sports and I've always loved rookie of the year award.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back