AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think age 21 and under 10 games is fine. But 2nd or 3rd year players probably have to be close too AA or have to be extreme standouts to win it over a 1st year player.

Interestingly enough there were more noms for 2nd and 3rd year players this year than for 18 year olds from the last intake.

Think it's a massive double standard, it should be for first year players only regardless of age.

Fremantle game - At a time when the game was tight - Loose ball deep in defence - Goddard fails to get the handle on a ground ball, McGrath sweeps behind, and in one motion picks up the ball and delivers a handball - That says it all.

Good to see that he has been recognized for his defensive efforts. All year McGrath was held directly accountable for shutting down a opposition player, where as Burton was able to stroll around the back 50 racking up touches.

100% right call for him to be rising star.

Interestingly enough there were more noms for 2nd and 3rd year players this year than for 18 year olds from the last intake.

Think it's a massive double standard, it should be for first year players only regardless of age.

The issue there is you'd have to do away with the nominations because your not going to find 23 first year players worthy of a nomination.

The issue there is you'd have to do away with the nominations because your not going to find 23 first year players worthy of a nomination.

And that would be completely fine by me

Depends on the field. I think Burton had an equitable year to Heppell when he won it, its just that Heppell didn't have to beat out a McGrath

I think McGrath has had tougher challenges comparable to hepp. Hell played off half back and was a sweeper. He was damn good but McGrath has had more accountable roles.

I think McGrath has had tougher challenges comparable to hepp. Hell played off half back and was a sweeper. He was damn good but McGrath has had more accountable roles.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, I put Burton's year on a par with Heppell's, the difference is that Burton is a 2nd year player and McGrath was better than both of them in any event

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good points, didn't think of it that way. Big fan of U.S sports and I've always loved rookie of the year award.
Interestingly the NHL Rookie award (Calder Trophy) has an age limit of 25 years, this was introduced after it was won by a 31 year old (Sergei Markarov). It was his first year as a professional player having previously been with the "amatuer" Red Army team

Sorry that this keeps getting brought up but I feel like I'm watching Gavin Wanganeen every bloody week with Pidge.

It's marvellous.

Be interesting to see if his career follows a similar path. I remember Wanganeen wanting to spend more time in the midfield but it became clear he was much more suited to defence. I suspect McGrath will make that transition a lot better.

Would love McGrath to back himself more with his foot skills as he develops. Wanganeen used to slaughter us with his kicks out of defence when he was at Port.

I know what you mean but can't agree. It would be like playing GAJ in the back pocket his whole career
The difference is Ablett didn't dominate as a small defender. In fact he didn't even dominate as a small forward, where he played for so long.

He'll obviously be great wherever he plays, anyway.

The difference is Ablett didn't dominate as a small defender. In fact he didn't even dominate as a small forward, where he played for so long.

He'll obviously be great wherever he plays, anyway.
Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from. Not many can lock download and provide offensive drive like Pigeon

Overheard my 6yo this morning singing this song he made up to the tune of our theme song:

"See McGrath fly up, up, to win the rising star. Our Joey Daniher loves playing with him, and with Tippa we always win. See McGrath fly up, up, yeah we win everything!!"
Haha thats great. My 4 y.o runs around the saying "Anthony McDonald Tippungwutti" lol I can barely pronounce his name. He was in the hospital the other day having treatment yelling out go bombers go tippa. I love it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back