AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

the contest where he spoiled the geelong players body by backing into him whilst watching the flight of the ball. Sublime.
Kid is a defensive mastermind.

Yeah I loved that. He was outpositioned but still found a way to not lose the contest by making the right decision and committing to it 100%. He definitely has a great footy brain. I reckon all of our defenders bar Hurley would have tried to turn around and given away a free or just missed the ball entirely in that situation.

I reckon he will just keep improving throughout the year and be one of our best midfielders by years end. He's just that sort of guy.
I'm sure at the start of the year he will be a bit handball happy but as the year goes and he gets more comfortable in the midfield he will start to unleash his running and kicking so that he can really hurt sides.

Yeah I loved that. He was outpositioned but still found a way to not lose the contest by making the right decision and committing to it 100%. He definitely has a great footy brain. I reckon all of our defenders bar Hurley would have tried to turn around and given away a free or just missed the ball entirely in that situation.

I reckon he will just keep improving throughout the year and be one of our best midfielders by years end. He's just that sort of guy.
I'm sure at the start of the year he will be a bit handball happy but as the year goes and he gets more comfortable in the midfield he will start to unleash his running and kicking so that he can really hurt sides.

More of McGrath slicing through the centre square to hit one of our forwards on the chest please!

The way I read that article was: "We only need to play good footy for 2 and a half quarters each week and we will match it with any team."

I like his style.

I was team Clug... I was 100% wrong.
I remember halfway through the year being excited at the prospect of Jaeger and Clug for 2017.
It dissipated pretty quickly. By the time the draft came round, i was keen on McGrath. So natural with his decision making, balanced in his movement and sharp with the skills.

Im not in the slightest disappointed with the way that offseason panned out.
McGrath, Ridley, Begley, Mutch, Stewart.
good haul that should us in good stead in the future

The kid is super exciting, but he still handballs a bit too much for my liking when he has a chance to break and kick it, especially in congestion.

He tends to handball backwards and sideways a bit, however no doubt part of that is because like most younger guys he would be heavily relying on his team mate's call for the ball in congestion. It will probably come with experience and guile but he needs to trust his kicking and evasiveness more. He did it a couple of times in Colac and looked golden.

As one of our more tidier kicks it would elevate him even more, which is enticing considering the quality he is playing with now in only his second year.

The kid is super exciting, but he still handballs a bit too much for my liking when he has a chance to break and kick it, especially in congestion.

He tends to handball backwards and sideways a bit, however no doubt part of that is because like most younger guys he would be heavily relying on his team mate's call for the ball in congestion. It will probably come with experience and guile but he needs to trust his kicking and evasiveness more. He did it a couple of times in Colac and looked golden.

As one of our more tidier kicks it would elevate him even more, which is enticing considering the quality he is playing with now in only his second year.
I can’t wait for the confidence to build and he takes on the opposition instead of handballing off. His handballs in congestion are mostly delaying the inevitable of kicking it long but if he backs himself and breaks the line he will dominate.

He looks like he works in to games well; always seems to be prominent in last quarters. Hopefully with a long stint in the midfield he'll start to learn his capability against the bigger bodies. He improved across the season off the back-line, and I think using his run and carry in the latter stages of a match as other players start to tire will be a real weapon.

I'm a big fan, his decision making is lightning and his hands in close I think have taken even the playing group by surprise - no sooner does he have the ball and he's already got it off to another player, the challenge is on those players to keep up.

Parish and McGrath in the midfield this year is an exciting prospect, I think they've both got such potential to be A graders, and i'm looking forward to watching them develop over the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You lot are judging who the better pick was out of McGrath and McCluggage after one season and two pre-seasons. Riiiiiiight. I'm sure Gold Coast were saying the same thing about O'Meara after his first year. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Yes it's a different situation but things can change very quickly.

You lot are judging who the better pick was out of McGrath and McCluggage after one season and two pre-seasons. Riiiiiiight. I'm sure Gold Coast were saying the same thing about O'Meara after his first year. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Yes it's a different situation but things can change very quickly.
Yes, yes we are. You're on an opposition board judging us for being happy about the kid we picked with pick 1, who neutralised Eddy Betts in his first season, won the rising star and plays like a future captain?

If a future captain isn't good enough to be happy about at pick one then I don't know what is.

Yes, yes we are. You're on an opposition board judging us for being happy about the kid we picked with pick 1, who neutralised Eddy Betts in his first season, won the rising star and plays like a future captain?

If a future captain isn't good enough to be happy about at pick one then I don't know what is.

Things can happen in the game quickly. Look at Alex Johnson at Sydney for a prime example. Wait until he has played a few consistent seasons in the game before the 'oh so glad we didn't draft such and such instead'.

As a swans man why do you even care what we think about McGrath?

As a swans man why do you even care what we think about McGrath?

I'm impressed by him too, as is most the AFL, just think its a bit early to be bragging about picking him over who went at number 2 just yet. One season is way too early.

I'm impressed by him too, as is most the AFL, just think its a bit early to be bragging about picking him over who went at number 2 just yet. One season is way too early.
It's hardly bragging, we're on our own board talking amongst ourselves. Bragging would be shoving a Rising Star in your face... which we'd be within our rights to do come to think of it.

Don’t think that’s the case either, plenty of our own supporters where disappointed that we took McGrath over McCluggage, what’s been stated is supporters now are happy with who we took but I don’t think anyone here has flat out said he will be better than McCluggage in the long run.

I know I'm jumping the gun but I reckon Mcgrath has a chance at being a better an even better draft pick than Gumbleton - that is provided he continues to improve and stays injury free.

You like to live on the edge, don't you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back