AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Precautionary moonboot? - 24/3

01 - mcgrath.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 13, Vindicater

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Watched him closely a few times and he looked cooked on the chase. Blokes half his speed were pulling away from him. He’d obviously been on the move constantly prior to these blow-outs which leads me to ponder whether he has worked out how to pace himself in the midfield yet. This is all a great education for him especially taking on the likes of great exponents of repeat efforts such as Sidebum.

Please send Andrew back to HB for the rest of the season.
He's basically played there the last three weeks judging from the heat maps anyway.

Not convinced midfield is really the right place for him. In general I'm far from convinced that every great HBF needs to move into the midfield anyway. I like McGrath defending and setting up attacks for us off half back to be honest.

Not convinced midfield is really the right place for him. In general I'm far from convinced that every great HBF needs to move into the midfield anyway. I like McGrath defending and setting up attacks for us off half back to be honest.

It's your classing robbing Michael to pay Dyson scenario

hotkorma

YESS
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Elite defensive 1 on 1. Happy for him to play back.

But then again part of me wants our best players near where the ball spends most of its time. (For us this is defence)

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure he's the genuine midfielder we need.

If we plan on playing him as a mid long term then we should make him play wing/hff/fp. We want our mids to learn how to deliver the ball forward of centre.

All the best genuine mids in the league rest forward and are a goal threat. We should be teaching him how to do that and not defending like a back pocket.

He's only spent a bit of time in the midfield but given his output as a defender in his first season...

Could it mean chucking some mid minutes to someone like McKenna?
Yes please.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Any chance of us playing him in the guts? When McKenna comes back he will go to the wing like he did early in the year but he really should be given more of a run at the centre clearances. When Zerrett or Smith aren’t in the middle we are very slow and ideally we have those 2 and McGrath all running through their at different times.

At the start of the last quarter we had Zaharakis, Heppell and Goddard starting in the centre I don’t want to see that ever again.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd like to see him forward.

Tippa hasn't fired a shot this year and we need to find a way to stop the ball from pinging straight back out when we don't mark it.

Saad and MCKenna should suffice as small defenders.

McGrath played the first three games in the midfield - Was particularly good when he quelled B.Hill in round 2, but then got cut up by Hunter in round 3 - This seemed to rattle the selectors who played him in defence in round 4 and 5 , while he played a mixture of mid/defence in round 6.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
McGrath played the first three games in the midfield - Was particularly good when he quelled B.Hill in round 2, but then got cut up by Hunter in round 3 - This seemed to rattle the selectors who played him in defence in round 4 and 5 , while he played a mixture of mid/defence in round 6.

McKenna also being suspended might have had some impact on that one.

Back