AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams are worried about him already...

If you give him anymore than a second to compose he will cut you to shreds with his toolbox of speed and decision making...

I see a bit of Sam Mitchell about his reactions but at warp speed which is still developing...

giphy.gif

If that's the same passage of play I'm thinking of that was insanely good.
I genuinely got a chill up my spine.

I have a lot of love in my heart for Andrew.

I cant remember seeing another kid like McGrath who has such poise and smarts plays like a 100 gamer.

That passage of play that lead to the Begley goal was started by him was sitting at the back of a stoppage and kicked the ball forward through some legs to Joe and then sprinted pass to create the next option.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant remember seeing another kid like McGrath who has such poise and smarts plays like a 100 gamer.

That passage of play that lead to the Begley goal was started by him was sitting at the back of a stoppage and kicked the ball forward threw some legs to Joe and then sprinted pass to create the next option.

NecessaryJoyfulIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

Not sure how you can say that tbh, both had extremely comparable first years albeit in different roles. McGrath has the higher ceiling, but Hep would be level pegging at this stage.

That is a fair question and they both had extremely comparable first seasons, and its more a feeling than anything but when I look at McGrath and how he goes about his footy, he just oozes both the skills and the attitude needed to become an elite player, where Heppell just does everything right.

I counted 8 actions Pidge did.

You don't realise or respect what they do until compressed into a GIF.
When we talk about fitness at AFL level it's this sort of thing that really matters. He goes again and again and again in that contest.

It's these sort of repeat efforts that a guy like Francis struggles with.

His first year was on par with Selwoods. However he looks like he could be ahead of Selwood for the 2nd season comparison, admittedly we are only 1 game in and I'm joining the beautiful looking dots together.
Also don't forget Selwood had midfield full of Brownlow medalist to help him.

I was on the edge of my seat during the final quarter, but when McGrath cuts back to the middle with ball in hand a paddock in front of him an immense calm came over me. Don`t think there is anyone on our team you`d want with the ball in their hands over him (and he hasn`t even played 25 games - insane).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back