AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Whenever I think about McGrath and how people are getting impatient about him or saddened to hear about the way he's training, conflicted with him being selected at #1, I always think of Luke Hodge in his first year.

When Luke Hodge was selected at #1 over Judd Hawks fans went apeshit. They couldn't believe it. They didn't want him, they wanted Judd. Even when he played his first game people knew he had a lot of talent but had no idea the type of player he'd become. It was all HUGE expectation and Hawks fans were very much torn in regards to him. I distinctly remember speaking with an old workmate of mine about him years ago back in 2002 I think (my old workmate was in charge of the Hawks Cheer Squad) and even he wasn't completely sold on him.

Anyway to cut a long story short people should embrace this kid and cut him come slack. He has huge potential and if he turns out anything like a Hodge as a footballer, then that's only a good thing really imo.

Last edited:
Whenever I think about McGrath and how people are getting impatient about him or saddened to hear about the way he's training, conflicted with him being selected at #1, I always think of Luke Hodge in his first year.

When Luke Hodge was selected at #1 over Judd Hawks fans went apeshit. They couldn't believe it. They didn't want him, they wanted Judd. Even when he played his first game people knew he had a lot of talent but had no idea the type of player he'd become. It was all HUGE expectation and Hawks fans were very much torn in regards to him. I distinctly remember speaking with an old workmate of mine about him years ago back in 2002 I think (my old workmate was in charge of the Hawks Cheer Squad) and even he wasn't completely sold on him.

Anyway to cut a long story short people should embrace this kid and cut him come slack. He has huge potential and if he turns out anything like a Hodge as a footballer, then that's only a good thing really imo.
He will be a gun, ill quit watching TAC all together if he doesn't become a star. Will be talked up like Parish and Zerrett after a few years that im very confident off.

He will be a gun, ill quit watching TAC all together if he doesn't become a star. Will be talked up like Parish and Zerrett after a few years that im very confident off.
man i hope more than Parish - the most undervalued/underrated player on this board

man i hope more than Parish - the most undervalued/underrated player on this board
Not really. Everyone knows how good he already is; hence him being talked about less.

s**t haircut though
I think that's the real worry with Parish. Just can't see him get over it unless he shaves it. Big worry with it is he may be doing combover by his mid 20s.

A shorter and more Athletic version of Hodge is what I am hoping for.

The obsession with players coming in and being the next Joel Selwood is mind boggling

Don't mind a slow burn from a young player as long as they can be a key cog in our line up for 10 years in the end
Thats not it at all for me. I'd just rather he played midfield wether that be in the afl or vfl i just think for his size the BP could be a really damaging for his confidence.

Thats not it at all for me. I'd just rather he played midfield wether that be in the afl or vfl i just think for his size the BP could be a really damaging for his confidence.

Kids these days understand what development is all about. A level headed kid like McGrath realises he starts behind guys like Heppel, Watson and even Zac.

I was overseas last week and didn't see his first game. Using him off a back flank - ala Heppell or Mills - is a good idea but I think it would be counterproductive to play him in a back pocket. Ultimately you want him to get a fair bit of the ball and build up confidence. That's easy to do on the flank because you often find a lot of uncontested footy and can gain confidence setting up the play. I'd be reluctant however to play him in the back pocket and I'd prefer him to play midfield in the VFL if that is the only spot available.

Merrett didn't really star though. He was very good; but did play VFL for a bit

Merrett was certainly managed - was sub in six games and three early VFL games - but his output was much higher than you'd expect from someone his age.

Among full games he averaged 17.7 possessions; 4.6 marks; and 3.4 inside 50s.

Had we not managed him so much he would have been right up there for the Rising Star award. My view is that Merrett was more impressive than Parish in his first season but Parish had more opportunity since our team was so poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because I don't believe he has the strenght to play as a BP getting isolated square I could see him losing confidence very quickly.

I can't believe the concern/negative comments. McGrath looked excellent to me, he already looks like he has plenty of time to make good decisions.

I can see him starting the season slowly and more focusing on beating his man but by the end of the season we'll have the dilemma of whether or not to release him into the midfield as he'll be our best rebounding defender.

Because I don't believe he has the strenght to play as a BP getting isolated square I could see him losing confidence very quickly.
He destroyed one of the best small forwards seen at under age level so I don't think he has much of an issue being one out with another small forward, until he starts to lose a lot of those contests it's a bit presumptuous to think he could lose confidence

Because I don't believe he has the strenght to play as a BP getting isolated square
Can you dumb it down and explain to me exactly what you mean by this?

What is "getting isolated square" and how does it relate to strength, and then why do you believe McGrath is incapable of dealing with whatever it is you're describing? Ta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back