AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Becoming a similar question to Wanganeen. Is he better value at this age in defence?
I still think he is a better onballer. Especially in our outfit
Our back 6 of Hurley, Hooker, Francis, Ridley, Saad and McKenna works.

We finally saw our game plan click friday night. And you can see how Shiel, McGrath, Parish, Zaka and Fantasia are going to be critical to it.

I still think he is a better onballer. Especially in our outfit
Our back 6 of Hurley, Hooker, Francis, Ridley, Saad and McKenna works.

We finally saw our game plan click friday night. And you can see how Shiel, McGrath, Parish, Zaka and Fantasia are going to be critical to it.
Are Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Begley, Ham our mainstays in midfield when Heppell and Zaharakis are gone?

Are Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Begley, Ham our mainstays in midfield when Heppell and Zaharakis are gone?
i would think so.
We have a good amount of years before those 2 retire. And enough years of drafting and FA to cover them too.
Plus, i think Langford has a spot in that midfield. Though he will be made to earn it after this week.
Question may become if we can play Langford & Begley or Langford & Redman. These two will give that bigger midfield spot a good run for its money too.
And i may just concede that Guelfi has a role as a tough, negating player. I can see him transitioning more to the middle.

Said it throughout JLT and the first two rounds. Our issue wasn't talent or depth in the middle. Its been effort. We brought effort, we kicked 130.
If we can keep it up, we may just sneak into the 8.

i would think so.
We have a good amount of years before those 2 retire. And enough years of drafting and FA to cover them too.
Plus, i think Langford has a spot in that midfield. Though he will be made to earn it after this week.
Question may become if we can play Langford & Begley or Langford & Redman. These two will give that bigger midfield spot a good run for its money too.
And i may just concede that Guelfi has a role as a tough, negating player. I can see him transitioning more to the middle.

Said it throughout JLT and the first two rounds. Our issue wasn't talent or depth in the middle. Its been effort. We brought effort, we kicked 130.
If we can keep it up, we may just sneak into the 8.
Love to see a Pendlebury or Bontempelli type tall mid go through. I'm not sold on Langford as that player and not sure Redman is. I might get smashed for this but I reckon either Ridley, Redman or Zerk could cover Francis's role at HB and he could play as that tall midfielder. His vision, the quality of disposal and hardness at the contest translate well to the role... or maybe I'm going full Dodo.

Love to see a Pendlebury or Bontempelli type tall mid go through. I'm not sold on Langford as that player and not sure Redman is. I might get smashed for this but I reckon either Ridley, Redman or Zerk could cover Francis's role at HB and he could play as that tall midfielder. His vision, the quality of disposal and hardness at the contest translate well to the role... or maybe I'm going full Dodo.
Francis' tank and pace aren't made for midfield time.

Langford is the most likely for the Pendles/Bont type mid. Has the kick and movement on him. Plus the mark that Bont has.
Really just needs to find that 5th and 6th gear to go to and some consistency. He seems to be the one who is dropped when we start slow, and when he is dropped we come good. Works his way back and plays some good football to end the year with...and we repeat.

The guy he can probably model his game on best is Taranto. Use the frame. Go in hard. Want the ball or the contact.

Francis has trouble running out a game in his current position. He would be gassed in ten minutes playing in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Francis' tank and pace aren't made for midfield time.

Langford is the most likely for the Pendles/Bont type mid. Has the kick and movement on him. Plus the mark that Bont has.
Really just needs to find that 5th and 6th gear to go to and some consistency. He seems to be the one who is dropped when we start slow, and when he is dropped we come good. Works his way back and plays some good football to end the year with...and we repeat.

The guy he can probably model his game on best is Taranto. Use the frame. Go in hard. Want the ball or the contact.
In his draft year he played midfield minutes for SA. Sanderson: "I see him playing his best football as a midfielder." Twomey: "He has tested in the elite category for agility... can impact the game in the air or at ground level and doesn't waste his touches." He doesn't have the tank for a permanent role through midfield now, but this has to be a possibility after a couple more preseasons. As well, I would see it as more part of the midfield rotation anyway; that he develops into an option to play through there. He definitely has the ability to play a variety of roles though. Remember this?

Our defensive options in the future include Ridley, Redman and Zerk. We'd be silly not to try Francis through the middle IMO.

In his draft year he played midfield minutes for SA. Sanderson: "I see him playing his best football as a midfielder." Twomey: "He has tested in the elite category for agility... can impact the game in the air or at ground level and doesn't waste his touches." He doesn't have the tank for a permanent role through midfield now, but this has to be a possibility after a couple more preseasons. As well, I would see it as more part of the midfield rotation anyway; that he develops into an option to play through there. He definitely has the ability to play a variety of roles though. Remember this?

Our defensive options in the future include Ridley, Redman and Zerk. We'd be silly not to try Francis through the middle IMO.

Reckon Ridley and Redman would see more midfield time than Francis.
He's too handy down back.

It no longer matters what he did as an underage player. He enjoyed considerable physical advantages as a junior, that may have made him effective in the midfield, that he will never enjoy as a professional. We have sufficient AFL evidence to know that his best position is almost certainly as a third-tall defender who provides value by intercepting opponents attacks. He is never going to be a midfielder.

Drafting players who excel in one role and then trying to turn them into something completely different rarely works. Francis is unlikely to be that exception.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back