AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Precautionary moonboot? - 24/3

01 - mcgrath.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 13, Vindicater

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Whilst I respect your opinion I couldn't disagree more with it. He would easily fall into our best 10 in my opinion.

Shiel, Stringer, AMT, Heppell, Merrett, Saad, Hurley, Hooker, Ambrose. You’ve got one spot he might fall in but still Fantasia, Parish, have been in our bests in more games than he has.

The sky certainly isn’t falling with him but it’s an obfuscation of truth to state he has played well.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
If we must have the “Baguley role” I’d prefer MacGrath played it until he is more ready for midfield duties.

Right now he’s great when he gets it on the outside but doesn’t have much contested game to speak of.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Shiel, Stringer, AMT, Heppell, Merrett, Saad, Hurley, Hooker, Ambrose. You’ve got one spot he might fall in but still Fantasia, Parish, have been in our bests in more games than he has.

I'm not clear on what you're getting at so i apologise in advance.
Are you saying he's gone backwards because he's not listed in our best each week as much as the guys you stated?

If we must have the “Baguley role” I’d prefer MacGrath played it until he is more ready for midfield duties.

Right now he’s great when he gets it on the outside but doesn’t have much contested game to speak of.
Could not argue with that personally. In fact why do we have to turn him into a midfielder if it is going to make him look like a B grade player. Let him star as a half forward or half back.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
If he's out I'd expect either Langford to hold his spot or Ham to come in.
Myers would probably come in
Swans aren't overly quick, so the lack of pace is a perfect opp for Woosha to name him...admittedly he may be handy as a head to head with JPK.

Mynott and Ham looked good in the VFL, but lets not rush them. We'll only drop them and screw their development up...like most of our kids.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

Im starting to think that's a good spot for him.

Keep Parish in the middle. Andy up forward as a defensive, goal kicking small forward. He displaced Bags' spot once. Time to do it again :)

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I'm not clear on what you're getting at so i apologise in advance.
Are you saying he's gone backwards because he's not listed in our best each week as much as the guys you stated?

You said he’s easily in our ten best players. There are nine who have unquestionably performed better than him and few others who are in competition. Any statement on being easily in our best ten isn’t based on form.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Could not argue with that personally. In fact why do we have to turn him into a midfielder if it is going to make him look like a B grade player. Let him star as a half forward or half back.
Because at some point in time it was decided that the natural evolution of any talented player must be to play as midfielder!

Maybe he should go back in defence it's where he played his best footy.
Maybe he should go forward where he kicks goals. Unlike number 12 who currently resides there.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
You said he’s easily in our ten best players. There are nine who have unquestionably performed better than him and few others who are in competition. Any statement on being easily in our best ten isn’t based on form.

I agree wholeheartedly on as you said Shiel, Stringer, AMT, Heppell, Merrett, Saad, Hurley, Hooker, Ambrose would all be worthy of top ten this year, but i would include McGrath in there. He's had one bad game and people are shouting him down. I would struggle to find another player who would come close to be honest. I couldn't consider Fantasia just due to the games missed and Parish has gone backwards imo.

Outside of that I reckon you could throw a blanket over a number of guys who's form has been patchy or worse..

The sky certainly isn’t falling with him but it’s an obfuscation of truth to state he has played well.
I'd argue that he'd be higher than Walla, Hooker and Ambrose in the BnF right now. Walla has had three stellar games but 4 goalless ones and Ambrose's first two weeks were poor. Hooker has missed 3 games. Pidge has really only had the one outright poor game.

McKennabomber

I lurk, seldomly post. Many annoy me.
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Ch 7 said he went for scans today on his knee. Does anyone have any info on this?

Ch 7 said he went for scans today on his knee. Does anyone have any info on this?
Someone mentioned it on the previous page as well, don't think we know anything official yet.

Back