AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone brought a good point in how he’s similar to Wanganeen.

Although Doesn’t take the risks Wanga did early in his career.

Still Wanga didn't become a true mid until he was at Port
What kind of mid do we want McGrath to be? He didn’t play on the wing at all in the 18s and spent a bulk of his time at centre bounces and stoppages which hasn’t been the case this year, if we aren’t going to play him in the centre then he should have stayed on the flanks for now because the wing is doing him no favours.

What kind of mid do we want McGrath to be? He didn’t play on the wing at all in the 18s and spent a bulk of his time at centre bounces and stoppages which hasn’t been the case this year, if we aren’t going to play him in the centre then he should have stayed on the flanks for now because the wing is doing him no favours.
Agree. Maybe even develop him deeper forward. Think with his ball winning ability, body type and natural goal sense we could model him on a Robbie Gray/GAJ style mid-fwd. Obviously not completely analogous nor am I suggesting he’s at that level, maybe just a good development path.

Added bonus is it makes Bags redundant. Thanks Bags, but think you’re done mate.

Last edited:

the wing is a relic of a bygone era - its used to be a position of great one v one battles, the games greats plied their trades, won games off their own boots.

its now dead, engulfed inside a moving zone.
good observation, wings are now defensive runners who are used to fill up space in the back line while the high half forwards are now expected to be the linkage between the defensive unit and the forward line due to all the mids and wings being stationed in the back line. I blame Plough, he started all this flood crap.

good observation, wings are now defensive runners who are used to fill up space in the back line while the high half forwards are now expected to be the linkage between the defensive unit and the forward line due to all the mids and wings being stationed in the back line. I blame Plough, he started all this flood crap.
Rocket eade started the flood crap. Plough popularised it.

I think his ideal role right now would be as a midfielder who rotates forward. But as a midfielder he needs to play both inside / outside. He's got good instincts and hands, which lends itself to being at the coalface, but his greatest value right now might be spreading from the contest and providing run-and-carry.

I don't think the 'wing' is really a meaningful position in the modern AFL. We are really talking about inside and outside midfielders. I think he should be doing a bit more work on the inside but I do think he needs to spend some time on the outside simply because the likes of Shiel and Merrett and even Heppell and a fully-fit Smith are better inside players right now.

Bring back the 80s - relevant positions, Whacko Jacko, biffo - and Essendon premierships !!

You could but if the clubs wont do it then the AFL would need to enact some form of zone because in the old days there were zones in the sense that the forwards played forward and the backman followed the forwards. Even in the 1980s sides would sometimes dropped one or two players back.

Essendon premierships should be compulsory.

Maybe he should go forward where he kicks goals. Unlike number 12 who currently resides there.
My opinion is that he would be terrible in that position. Just doesn’t stick enough tackles or chase hard enough at the ball carrier to ba a good pressure small. Which is why I think as your Heath Shaw half back smart movement is where he will find his groove.
No shame in picking a superstar back pocket at pick 1 but we need to play to his strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we really meant to believe that he was an elite runner?

Seems to always get beaten to the ball, or at best breaks even with his opponents speed.

Seems to always get beaten to the ball, or at best breaks even with his opponents speed.

I don't know what classifies as 'elite' but he ran a sub-11 sec 100m prior to being drafted, was 2nd in repeat sprints at the combine and from memory was a very good 400m runner as a junior as well.
It's entirely possible that it's all pretty standard for an AFL player, but most scouting services had him as 'quick' pre-draft. It's also possible he just may have naturally plateaued early, or we got him to bulk up to fast.

I'd still like to see him playing behind the ball and coming off the back flank. It's interesting that pre-draft he mentioned Johannison from the Dogs as someone he was basing his game around...

I don't know what classifies as 'elite' but he ran a sub-11 sec 100m prior to being drafted, was 2nd in repeat sprints at the combine and from memory was a very good 400m runner as a junior as well.
It's entirely possible that it's all pretty standard for an AFL player, but most scouting services had him as 'quick' pre-draft. It's also possible he just may have naturally plateaued early, or we got him to bulk up to fast.

I'd still like to see him playing behind the ball and coming off the back flank. It's interesting that pre-draft he mentioned Johannison from the Dogs as someone he was basing his game around...

Sub-11 second 100 metres is elite. Repeat efforts and being fast at AFL level midfield running requirements - 12, 13, 14 KMs a game is not going to see the kind of top end speed he would reach over 100 metres however. Especially at 21 years of age.

You would see how quick he was if he was a rugby league or Union winger as they get 20 or 30 metres to really get going and they also don't do anywhere near the k's.

He was the national champion in the U17 400m hurdles. If he choose a career in athletics instead of footy he'd more than likely be in the mix to represent Australia at the olympics.

As has been posted above, the combine results indicate he was among the most athletic kids in his draft year.

His running is nowhere near as elite as your knack for being wrong about stuff though.

Sub-11 second 100 metres is elite. Repeat efforts and being fast at AFL level midfield running requirements - 12, 13, 14 KMs a game is not going to see the kind of top end speed he would reach over 100 metres however. Especially at 21 years of age.

You would see how quick he was if he was a rugby league or Union winger as they get 20 or 30 metres to really get going and they also don't do anywhere near the k's.
^^This

Take Usain Bolt for example, admitted he struggled with the repeat running efforts required in soccer

^^This

Take Usain Bolt for example, admitted he struggled with the repeat running efforts required in soccer
I'd add that not only is sub 11 very quick but when you throw in 400 metre running and then jumping over hurdles and you have pretty rare athletic qualities. One of my best mates at school was a sub 11 runner (10:7) and wound up in our Commonwealth games squad for long jump. That's the sort of athlete McGrath would be if he kept at it you'd think.

As a side story said mate is getting on like me (not surprisingly) but is still a rediculously fit machine - me and the Mrs tool his Zuu class a few months ago and I was so spent I couldn't do the Z hand sign properly for the team pic after :)

Attended 20 center bounces this season, Way too low.

Where’d you see this? He’s only won two for the year so which is just below average (8 players at centre bounce, 20/8 = 2.5). But certainly should be contesting them at a much higher rate than that.

Where’d you see this? He’s only won two for the year so which is just below average (8 players at centre bounce, 20/8 = 2.5). But certainly should be contesting them at a much higher rate than that.

Article posted yesterday on the AFL site/app. Has all teams numbers. Taranto for instance has attended 140, get him in the middle more.

He was the national champion in the U17 400m hurdles. If he choose a career in athletics instead of footy he'd more than likely be in the mix to represent Australia at the olympics.

As has been posted above, the combine results indicate he was among the most athletic kids in his draft year.

His running is nowhere near as elite as your knack for being wrong about stuff though.
Okay? He was an elite runner?

What happened to his pace? Go troll somewhere else.

Okay? He was an elite runner?

What happened to his pace? Go troll somewhere else.
Is this the troll calling someone else a troll to hide the fact that he's trolling? :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back