AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Using him out of position.

He'll still effect the game because he's a complete natural and gets involved of his own accord but he's quite clearly a far more natural running defender than he is a midfielder
Wingman and midfielder are two different things, I never once saw him play on a wing in his 18s year he was either half back or in the guts and he has spent little to no time in the guts for us this year.

Wingman and midfielder are two different things, I never once saw him play on a wing in his 18s year he was either half back or in the guts and he has spent little to no time in the guts for us this year.
thought he'd be a good one to run with Titch. Has excellent nullifying skills, plus pace and the engine.
Tackles, uses it well in congestion and evasiveness.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at the coal face more often in a head to head with the oppositions ball winner.

I think his best role is as a quarter back, similar to what GWS is doing with Whitfield... he has great leaping ability which is being wasted on the wing.

Only issue is it may limit our ability to use Saad and McKenna in such a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was telling this year is how (comparatively) slow he looked when playing in the middle.

He's obviously anything but slow so it's a good example of how much of a step up it is playing in the middle both in terms of the physical requirements and with pressure coming from 360 degrees.

I don't think it means that he necessarily had a worse year than last year. His individual impact was not as noticeable due to a changed role.

I'd mark it down to "second year blues" if he was still playing in defence and getting belted by opponents.

Had a weird dream that we traded him to West Coast for picks 2, 7, and 19. Not sure why or when it happened during his career but y'all reckon he could be worth that much someday? Or more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back