AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

What evidence is there that Heppell even needs 'freeing up' . He was close to our best in the final despite struggling with his foot injury which will get fixed up post season. Other than the foot issue I don't see that Heppell has any major issues. In fact out of leaders he was one of the few that actually stood up and played well, most of the rest were disappointing.
Everyone wants to change something, right? As if there is any reason to replace Heppell.

Merrett is not an answer and I doubt he will ever captain Essendon. I would rather Shiel - if (as is true in my fantasy wonderland) his football improves.

Heppell at 27 has at least two more years in the role. If Shiel isn’t Essendon royalty by 2022/23 McGrath will be.

The presence of Fantasia and Myers in the leadership group (and the removal of Hooker) has shown a willingness to prioritise smart, nice guys. A football captain needs to be inspirational on field.

Re the captaincy.....

1) McGrath may well captain Essendon one day but he is nowhere near ready to do it now.

2) I don’t think Merrett is ready either. In fact I would say that he needs to refocus on just playing well far more than Heppell.

3) I really don’t see a better option than Heppell. He’s not a great captain but I suspect he is the best we have.

4) There is a tiny little part of me that wonders if you did have to find a new skipper, what about the package? The off field stuff isn’t his go but it does feel at times that this is his team. He’s the talisman, the guy who ignites us. There is a much larger part of me that knows this is crazy.

If his best position is that inside mid role, and the same is with Merrett - is that too small around the ball?

Also I think Devon Smith would make an excellent captain. Hard as nails, great player. He's someone the young players should be modelling themselves on.

Re the captaincy.....

1) McGrath may well captain Essendon one day but he is nowhere near ready to do it now.

2) I don’t think Merrett is ready either. In fact I would say that he needs to refocus on just playing well far more than Heppell.

3) I really don’t see a better option than Heppell. He’s not a great captain but I suspect he is the best we have.

4) There is a tiny little part of me that wonders if you did have to find a new skipper, what about the package? The off field stuff isn’t his go but it does feel at times that this is his team. He’s the talisman, the guy who ignites us. There is a much larger part of me that knows this is crazy.
I would rather Jake in the leadership group than Orazio. Love Raz the livewire forward but he’s too slinky and not rugged enough.

But as outright captain I’m giving it a no - but I do see where you’re coming from.

I would rather Jake in the leadership group than Orazio. Love Raz the livewire forward but he’s too slinky and not rugged enough.

But as outright captain I’m giving it a no - but I do see where you’re coming from.
I’m sure everyone will give it a no. Including me!

Re the captaincy.....

1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Agree
4) One of the worst ideas I've ever read.

I think Devon Smith would make a great captain. He's a great player, absolutely tough as nails and from pressers he seems incredibly poised and well spoken.

Honestly, If I were playing, I'd be looking up to a bloke like him. Especially when he rag dolls people giving up 10 kegs to them. That's team lifting stuff.

I'd be going a fresh look under Rutten/Woosh.

Captain - Devon Smith
Vice Captain - Dyson Heppell

Leadership Group - Hooker, Hurley, Merrett, Shiel, Merrett, Daniher(?)

Emerging Leaders - McGrath

I am surprised that many think McGrath is a decent kick - By AFL standards he is an average kick but in the role he plays he is a below average kick - You need to kick better if you playing a mainly outside role.

Feel like maybe you missed where i said a tiny part of me wonders but a much larger part knows it would be crazy.....

I did read that but you still put the idea out there. I like what Stringer brings to the team but there is no scenario where he becomes captain. Naming a guy like Shiel or Smith as captain would be interesting and a bit out there. Naming Stringer is just so out there, its in another universe.

I did read that but you still put the idea out there. I like what Stringer brings to the team but there is no scenario where he becomes captain. Naming a guy like Shiel or Smith as captain would be interesting and a bit out there. Naming Stringer is just so out there, its in another universe.
So we actually agree on all four points. I think it’s crazy and so do you.

It was intended as something that’s fun to contemplate for ten seconds, not as an idea that warrants real consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re the captaincy.....

I don't get this at all.

What about Heppell's leadership makes him "not a great captain"?

He provides extremely good onfield leadership. He leads by example. He clearly has the respect of his peers.

I often think people have this ******* weird conception of what a captain is. Mate, they toss the coin, they say a few words before the bounce, and they front up to press conferences more often. That's genuinely about it. That's why clubs have so many vice captains, leadership groups, young leadership groups etc etc. It's a figurehead position. That's it. Not the spiritual embodiment of the club, like supporters seem to think.

Hooker and Heppell are the only two that display onfield leadership.

Merrett doesn't strike me as a captain and McGrath definitely isn't ready.

I'm usually more critical of the club, but Heppell is the right choice.

I don't get this at all.

What about Heppell's leadership makes him "not a great captain"?

He provides extremely good onfield leadership. He leads by example. He clearly has the respect of his peers.

I often think people have this ******* weird conception of what a captain is. Mate, they toss the coin, they say a few words before the bounce, and they front up to press conferences more often. That's genuinely about it. That's why clubs have so many vice captains, leadership groups, young leadership groups etc etc. It's a figurehead position. That's it. Not the spiritual embodiment of the club, like supporters seem to think.
Ok - substitute the word leader for captain.

I don’t think he’s a great leader. I think he’s a competent one but not a great one. I also think he is the best we have as I said.

I think a great captain can offer a lot more than what you said. They drive standards and discipline across the group. Yes their is a group of leaders also responsible for this but the captain drives the leadership group.

Re the captaincy.....

Am I the only one who thinks Merrett actually had a decent year? He had some flat spots, but I reckon he went ok.

Am I the only one who thinks Merrett actually had a decent year? He had some flat spots, but I reckon he went ok.

Yeah I think he gets marks tougher than most. He had actually had quite a good year on the whole. Not at his AA best perhaps but I think he wins our B&F comfortably. But evidently its not leadership to simply play well each week.

No one here can attest to whether Heppell is a good captain. 99% of Heppells football life is away from the cameras.

The only aspect you can judge him on is the way he represents the club in the media. And he does a good job FTR.

As for on field - he puts his head over the footy when he has to. But no one other than the players can tell you whether he’s an effective communicator or motivator on field.

I’m sure you aren’t the only one but personally I thought it was just ok.

I like the super aggressive version who hunts the footy and tackles with intent. Feel like we did t him as much this year as we have previously.

What evidence is there that Heppell even needs 'freeing up' . He was close to our best in the final despite struggling with his foot injury which will get fixed up post season. Other than the foot issue I don't see that Heppell has any major issues. In fact out of leaders he was one of the few that actually stood up and played well, most of the rest were disappointing.
He’s one of the highest paid players at the club, isn’t quick/explosive like Dangerfield, isn’t a beast like Fyfe or Cripps, isn’t untouchable through traffic like Pendlebury and can’t hit a target by hand like Cotchin or foot like Josh Kelly.

If there was anyone I would trade with some value now it would be Heppell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back