AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Precautionary moonboot? - 24/3

01 - mcgrath.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 13, Vindicater

Last edited by a moderator:
McLuggage > McGrath unfortunately
Just on McCluggage anyone else notice how many times he kicks it to the opposition ? He is a good kick and nails some good ones but their are also a lot that misfire by a long way.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Just on McCluggage anyone else notice how many times he kicks it to the opposition ? He is a good kick and nails some good ones but their are also a lot that misfire by a long way.
He bites off a lot at times and sprays the odd one. I haven’t felt it happens a lot but will keep an eye out.

I think we will see the best of that draft crop from next year. McGrath is an excellent player but McCluggage is a force who opens up the game with multiple possessions in a chain or breaking lines by foot. Also wins important marking contests.

McGrath is more defensively minded… to be fair maybe you can’t be surging forward all day and covering for turnovers.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

Speaking of kicking, he's up to 63-81 so far.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Think the suggestion that McGrath has lost his pace and agility is incorrect. To me he’s never really used it offensively at AFL but he still showcases it with his desperate tackles and smothers.

Think he needs to be told in practice matches to try and take 5 steps before he disposes of the ball just to show him that he has the athleticism to be a dynamic player around the ball.

I bet you there’s more players who have Hind/Saad/McKenna speed in the AFL than you expect. It’s the willingness to back yourself to tuck the ball under your arm and take the opposition on with your leg speed that is rare.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers

I'm always a little underwhelmed when I see him. Massive talent but not AA quality, like he's often talked up as. I don't watch all their games but when I do he's never what I'd call dominant. Does look a more natural midfielder than Andy though. My main issue with McGrath is that he always looks hurried. If that doesn't improve with experience I'd lean towards him moving back because we know how good he can be there.

Think the suggestion that McGrath has lost his pace and agility is incorrect. To me he’s never really used it offensively at AFL but he still showcases it with his desperate tackles and smothers.

Think he needs to be told in practice matches to try and take 5 steps before he disposes of the ball just to show him that he has the athleticism to be a dynamic player around the ball.

I bet you there’s more players who have Hind/Saad/McKenna speed in the AFL than you expect. It’s the willingness to back yourself to tuck the ball under your arm and take the opposition on with your leg speed that is rare.

Personally early this year I had some concerns with him just jogging along off the pace of the game when the opposition has had the ball and it did come up in a discussion I had with an observer I know from another club whos opinion I do rate. I am not taking anything from his last few games as clearly he is well short of a run. I rate him but I do not think we use him effectively and I also do not think his defense has been as good as it has been in the past. Don't get me wrong he played a few cracking games early this year but I was not sure he was always improved on what he did previously and my personal view has been he has struggled to find a bit of that zip while playing on the inside.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I still think McGrath has Parish-like improvement in him
I completely disagree. When given the opportunity (infrequently) Parish always showed his capability. They’re only 1 year apart and McGrath hasn’t shown any glimpses that he’s anywhere near the footballer Parish is or has been, again when he’d been given the opportunity.

I completely disagree. When given the opportunity (infrequently) Parish always showed his capability. They’re only 1 year apart and McGrath hasn’t shown any glimpses that he’s anywhere near the footballer Parish is or has been, again when he’d been given the opportunity.

Last year Parish was spoken about as being vanilla, trade bait, and not good enough for a top 10 pick. I didn’t see too many singing his praises. Things can turn around with a good pre-season.

People on here were asking to trade Parish not so long ago. In fact even to trade Stringer after last season

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If we had our time again on the draft table and looking at current performances of the 2016 draft.... I'd take Jordan Ridley at no. 1.

The top 3 midfielders have been good but there aren't in the top echelon and I'm not convinced they are going to get there. Taranto looks to be banged up already for me so I'm not sure where he'll be in a few years.

McCluggage goes ok but there's something that irks me. Maybe its the Luke Darcy high draft pick nonsense of every kick but just seems to make some bad decisions at times.

Haven't been a huge fan of McGrath but he still has some decent scope to improve, maybe more so than the others. Next year will be defining. Mids come good in year 5 or 6. Hoping for that jump.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
People on here were asking to trade Parish not so long ago. In fact even to trade Stringer after last season
Yes there were but there were also people saying he’d been played out of position for years.

It’s been reported Stringer was carrying an injury last year - he was definitely carrying some pudding.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Haven't been a huge fan of McGrath but he still has some decent scope to improve, maybe more so than the others. Next year will be defining. Mids come good in year 5 or 6. Hoping for that jump.

I think Mcluggage could pop next year if Neale leaves, be interesting if taggers return though

Also think Mcgrath could pop like Parish if played in the same position. I'd be swapping Zerrett and McGrath's roles next year

Tarantos already had some huge years but agree in that he looks incredibly slow

Yes there were but there were also people saying he’d been played out of position for years.

It’s been reported Stringer was carrying an injury last year - he was definitely carrying some pudding.
There was a few games I think back in 2019
He missed 6 with ankle injury from Pies game where he was BOG. Then rushed back and struggled ..and yes was carrying some weight

I can’t be the only one that thinks he clocked the backline too quickly.

Incredible small defender so we tried for more, which is fine, but would you rather have the best small defender in the AFL or another very good midfielder?

Incredible small defender so we tried for more, which is fine, but would you rather have the best small defender in the AFL or another very good midfielder?
Another very good midfielder with this group by the length of the flemington straight. Especially considering he wouldn't be that much of an upgrade of what we have back there.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’d look at using McGrath forward with stints through the midfield, we have enough wing options and McGrath could also offer genuine speed and pressure inside 50. Could also help him refine his attacking game and show he can be a damaging player forward of centre.
Very much my thinking. This way you keep him as a rotating mid but you add a pressure forward and hope that he learns how to get dangerous and kick goals.

I still think he has it in him to be a starting mid but he needs to find consistency in his influence around the ball like Parish and not rush his disposal. Having an uninterrupted run in the side probably benefits his composure. His return from injury also brought with it the rushed disposal in the heat of us contending for finals.

Last edited:

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not this little black duck. I couldn't believe people wanted to trade either.

Could see Parish was special from a mile away, notwithstanding his year was way above any of my expectations. Stringer, the X factor player who has also exceeded expectations but hardly put a foot wrong since joining us.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Don’t see him as damaging enough by foot to ever be elite behind the ball. Would rather have Hind and Redman playing on opposition small forwards who aren’t as good defensively but are much more damaging ball in hand.

Back