AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think McCluggage will end up the best player of that draft, probably not as strong on the inside as Taranto but will be an elite goal kicking midfielder.

McGrath will likely Captain the club by the time he's 25, and if he plays like he did against West Coast each week, won't be a miss for us. Taranto would be the one that suits us best at the moment though.

If that's the level he can play at, can Captain the club to success, then it's a Hodge v Judd scenario, where no one loses, if he can't, then it's a fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game from McGrath today. Absolute shame he hasn't been playing as much midfield time in the past. Kid is going to be an absolute jet.

he finds space to get kicks out of tight traffic. But it does means he's not always hitting players on the chest.
When we start to get better at first hands on the ball and he's got space, i think we'll see better kicking. Same applies to Parish, Shiel and Merrett.

A decent ruck & Heppell back should help.

I sometimes wonder what game you watch.

McGrath's kicking is below average by AFL's standards - He too often blindly kicks the ball without purpose - I'd hate to be a forward leading up to McGrth.

McGrath's kicking is below average by AFL's standards - He too often blindly kicks the ball without purpose - I'd hate to be a forward leading up to McGrth.

I might not go quite this hard but I don't get the hype. The AFL industry is obsessed with possessions and I wonder whether you can really get a feel for possessions, particularly of an inside midfielder, unless you are watching the stat sheet.

During the pre-season, he wasn't getting praised by the commentary for bit of play. It was like he was called with the ball, someone looked down at the stat sheet and it would be a spark for "he's going to take the next step" however many minutes later.

I then find that Ridley, for example, has a moment when he takes a strong mark/kills a contest and then runs off with the ball to deliver a 35m to 50m bullet, degree of difficulty, 7.5 to 8, and there is no comment.

I might not go quite this hard but I don't get the hype. The AFL industry is obsessed with possessions and I wonder whether you can really get a feel for possessions, particularly of an inside midfielder, unless you are watching the stat sheet.

During the pre-season, he wasn't getting praised by the commentary for bit of play. It was like he was called with the ball, someone looked down at the stat sheet and it would be a spark for "he's going to take the next step" however many minutes later.

I then find that Ridley, for example, has a moment when he takes a strong mark/kills a contest and then runs off with the ball to deliver a 35m to 50m bullet, degree of difficulty, 7.5 to 8, and there is no comment.
McGrath is very creative by hand more than anything and felt he showed good composure throughout the game and was nailing those forward handballs which we have been trying to execute as a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back