AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Precautionary moonboot? - 24/3

Remove this Banner Ad

01 - mcgrath.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 13, Vindicater

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Fully expecting him to be made captain after these 2 years. He seems a very fast learner, to the point that you can see him make adjustments mid game, and he fully committs to the defensive side of things. He seems extremely driven to keep inproving and be the best he possibly can, and he wants to win. He can drive us to success in the future if he can instill confidence in the young group and set the standard.

Fully expecting him to be made captain after these 2 years. He seems a very fast learner, to the point that you can see him make adjustments mid game, and he fully committs to the defensive side of things. He seems extremely driven to keep inproving and be the best he possibly can, and he wants to win. He can drive us to success in the future if he can instill confidence in the young group and set the standard.
I'd be doing a Freo with Fyfe and giving it to him in 2022

Hepp was 24 I think wasn't he? And Jobe gave up the captaincy at 32.

In two years Hepp will be 30 – I'd hope his career lasts longer than that but if he gets closer to the end of his career sooner with his injury issues then he might also pass the baton at a younger age than Jobe did.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
One of the few that looked like they were giving everything for the jumper til injury cut short the year. Really stood up and a breakout year IMO.

Absolutely massive he has re-signed & re-committed in the midst of all the doom and gloom and alleged player dissent.

Hopefully the catalyst for more signings prior to the trade period. Might just stem the bleeding.

Fluff and filler right? Wait til the last ten seconds or so. Apparently senior players at the club reckon McGrath is ready for leadership, although TW didn't specify whether that was leadership group, co-captain or outright captain.... (he did speculate personally about co-captaincy though).

It is notable that both McGrath and Langford's re-signing interviews/video messages have mentioned that they want to follow Hepp though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades

Fluff and filler right? Wait til the last ten seconds or so. Apparently senior players at the club reckon McGrath is ready for leadership, although TW didn't specify whether that was leadership group, co-captain or outright captain.... (he did speculate personally about co-captaincy though).

It is notable that both McGrath and Langford's re-signing interviews/video messages have mentioned that they want to follow Hepp though

Noticed there seems to be an effort to state they’re behind Hepp. A good thing.

Pidge is a smart kid from a smart family, not that I think he’s ever going anywhere but as the anointed leader of a big 4 Melbourne club he essentially sets himself up for life with his next contract, 2 years works for him and because it works for him it works for me.

Space Indaver

Debutant
Oct 16, 2014
Aichi, Japan
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon, Chicago Bulls, Preston
Does anyone else reckon McGrath could end up rotating forward rather than back this year? We're a bit deeper in the backline and absolutely bare up front. Andy's seemingly a very clean shot on goal, operates in traffic really well, and is great outside the contest. Obviously a tenacious defender but I feel like he could get more ball and affect the scoreboard more up top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back