AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree completely I have been one to be a bit harsh on him at times. But I just don’t think people are understanding the role he is playing and how team orientated it is. His role allows shiel to be Shiel (which he definitely wasn’t last night).
I agree he has another level to go but I just think people are underrating how hard his role is right now and how good a job he is of doing it.
Yeah you're probably right too.

We always taught our kids in junior footy to avoid doing U turns if you can. If you get the ball and you are facing the wrong way....give it to team mate that is running up from the defensive end. They are facing the right way....they can see what is unfolding ahead...they can see space...they can see a good lead...they at least have the chance to try and kick to a team mates advantage. Around the body is kick and hope. Maybe it as simple as going back to basics for a bit.

It's hard enough to win the ball so we really shouldn't be doing things that are a fair chance of handing it straight back.

Would not be surprised if opponents know this is a weakness in his game and set their structures, when he is on ball to be in position to cut it off.

I'd like to see what happens with his kicking/rushed disposal when we get ourselves a gameplan that buys him space to operate in. We still crowd the drop of the ball at stoppages and contested balls, meaning every play is coming out of a phone box.

Good midfields create space to spread and operate in.

Hard to criticise him despite the dump/turnover kicks.

That said, we had a couple of passages last night where we laced out a forward and they dropped it anyway, so maybe not so big a deal at the moment.

It was an odd decision to go pay a premium for Shiel to come in at the same time mcgrath is moved onto the ball.

A middle of draper, parish, merrett mcgrath and a couple of bigger mids is a better balance

McGrath is being McGrath. Gradually improving, but still not really hurting teams. Will be a good player for years, though.

He is not our problem.

I beg to differ. Murphy’s has dropped off in the twilight of his career but McGrath’s is far from convincing. What are you basing it on?

I'm basing it on the fact that Murphy's ball drop has always been too high & he kicks a lot of floaters

McGrath is a gun, in an amazing draft. Mclug, Taranto, Simpkin, SPS, Setterfield, Logue, Florent, Perryman, English, Berry, Ridley ... probably looking like one of the best drafts ever. And McGrath is performing as well if not better then all of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

getting pretty tired of seeing him at stoppages. needs to be freed up to play wing or half back where he can use his strengths. offers very little when the pressure is on around clearances.

I wish I could find the gif of Adam Treloar imitating Tom Mitchell's awful handballs when he got 50 disposals against Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back