Weight – 92kgs
Recruited from – Echuca/Bendigo Under 18
AFL Debut – 2004
Games 2006 – 22
Games Total – 56
Goals 2006 – 6
Goals Total – 14

BACKGROUND INFO

After one of the best debuts I have seen in the Navy Blue, Andrew Walker showed all AFL lovers why he was chosen at number 2 in the 2003 AFL Draft with a fine display in Round 5, 2004 against West Coast.

He racked up 26 disposals (19 kicks & 7 handballs), took 9 marks and laid 4 tackles, not to mention that magnificent mark he took in front of the Carlton Social Club! A star was born!! :D

Tex played 15 games in his debut year and averaged just over 9 possessions per game.

In 2005 he was apart of the pre season premiership side and began to cement his spot in the senior side. He played 18 games in 2005 and averaged just under 10 possessions a game.

Now we will all agree that 2006 was the year that Walker took the next step. He continued his apprenticeship in the backline and at times took on the big jobs that nobody else could handle.

In 2006 he averaged just under 18 possessions a game and had 17 plus disposals in 13 of the 22 games. A vast improvement from his previous two seasons!!

We will all agree that Walker is an athlete more so than a footballer, however he is starting to really think like an AFL footballer now, and as he matures he will only get better.

2007 PRE-SEASON

After having surgery on his groin (?) at the end of the 2006 season, Walker started his pre-season a little later than the rest. He participated in the light drills at training with the injury group and it wasn’t until just before Christmas he commenced full training with the rest of the boys.

As I am sure you have all noticed, he has bulked up considerably and put on 7 kgs over the pre-season. He looks to be in fantastic shape!!

ROUND 1 – NAB CUP VS ESSENDON

Walks had a pretty good game last week. He played on James Hird all night and kept him fairly quiet. A few times he went for a run and it looks as if his disposal has improved, although there is still room for improvement whilst kicking on the run.

Can’t wait to see who he lines up on tonight and I am expecting a big year from 1AW!!

He kicked one absolute Barry Crocker at full pace, i would have kicked it better....although i would never have gotten up to that pace either :eek: .

Looks set for another solid year :thumbsu:

ROUND 2 NAB CUP VS HAWTHORN

Another great performance by Andy last night. He had 21 possessions which included 15 kicks (11 effective), 6 handballs and 5 marks.

His run out of the backline is clearly a strength in his game. Whilst his disposal at times is questionable, the good things he does far outweigh the bad.

He is starting to gain some real confidence with the likes of Waite, Setanta and Thornton around him and is continuing to develop as our main rebounder out of defensive 50.

ROUND 3 NAB CUP VS KANGAROOS

Another good game from Tex or should I say "Mr Fix-It."

He went onto Grant after he threatened to blow the game apart at the end of the 2nd quarter. Grant hardly got a touch after that.

His disposal tonight was also good. 18 disposals and 4 marks (10 kicks, 8 handballs). I think only one kick was ineffective.

Will only get better :thumbsu:

P.S I am off to Phuket tomorrow for two weeks (and missing my first Carlton game in Melbourne since I have been going to the footy :( ). Hopefully I can find a bar that will televise the game but if not, please feel free to post about Walks' game :D

GO BLUES!!!

Sadly I haven't had the time this week to re-do my video analysis of the possessions he had.........which serves a great in justice, because I can't actually recall a single error by hand or foot.
His disposal was top shelf and if he can keep that up he will coast into the midfield, and become what we hoped he always would.

Great stuff tex. :thumbsu:

Sadly I haven't had the time this week to re-do my video analysis of the possessions he had.........which serves a great in justice, because I can't actually recall a single error by hand or foot.
His disposal was top shelf and if he can keep that up he will coast into the midfield, and become what we hoped he always would.

Great stuff tex. :thumbsu:

Doing my own analysis, he only had one error, which although in the vicinity of the Carlton player, was an easy opposition mark. Very good footskills be Walker on the weekend, hopefully he can continue it into the season proper.

GRAND FINAL NAB CUP VS BRISBANE

Another great game from Walks on the weekend. He was more involved in the first half, having 14 possessions during this time and ending the game with 17 possessions.

I think over the past few weeks Tex has continued his form from last year and really shown what he is capable of. I think 2007 may be the year his critics finally shut their mouths!!!

BRING ON ROUND 1 :thumbsu:

Hrrrm.... good question. Probably Brown. Russell for Delidio.

Agree - Tex on Brown, unless he pushes into the midfield, then maybe Russell to tag.
Not sure Russell is quick enough for Lids, could be wrong though.
Maybe Bentick/Carrazzo to grab him before he takes off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - Tex on Brown, unless he pushes into the midfield, then maybe Russell to tag.
Not sure Russell is quick enough for Lids, could be wrong though.
Maybe Bentick/Carrazzo to grab him before he takes off.

Agree. If Brown pushes into the midfield then Tex to take another dangerous forward (if they have one!) :p

If Delidio proves too much for Russell then perhaps Carrazzo can tag him. Bentick is too slow for Delidio.

ROUND 1 VS RICHMOND

Another solid game from Walker on the weekend. I included him in the Blues best. Expecting a big year from Tex :)

His stats:

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 5
Marks: 6
Clangers: 3
Tackles: 2
Goals: 1
Behinds: 1

He looks like he is playing with more confidence and is thoroughly enjoying running the ball out of the backline. Had a stint on the wing and used the ball well with a run and carry type of play on a few occasions.

His goal was the highlight. As many have already commented, the speed at which he marked that ball and to keep running and not break stride was encouraging. His disposal is also improving each week.

This kid is going to be a star! :D :thumbsu:

ROUND 1 VS RICHMOND

Another solid game from Walker on the weekend. I included him in the Blues best. Expecting a big year from Tex :)

His stats:

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 5
Marks: 6
Clangers: 3

He looks like he is playing with more confidence and is thoroughly enjoying running the ball out of the backline. Had a stint on the wing and used the ball well with a run and carry type of play on a few occasions.

His goal was the highlight. As many have already commented, the speed at which he marked that ball and to keep running and not break stride was encouraging. His disposal is also improving each week.

This kid is going to be a star! :D :thumbsu:

The goal was awesome, he also looks to have improved his quick handball gives in traffic.

He is ready for more time up the ground.

ROUND 2 VS GEELONG

I know I have said this on a number of occassions already but it was another solid game from Walker on the weekend, despite our loss.

He always gives 100% and it is evident that he has worked very hard on his fitness during the pre-season.

His stats:

Kicks: 20
Handballs: 8
Marks: 7

the link doesn't work BG.

How many games has he played now? He could well be one of the youngest Carlton people to play 100 games :)

Gees the Carlton website really needs to update the player profiles. He has played 57 games :thumbsu:

http://bigpondguide.com/8411a_1_

Hopefully that works now.

I think Lance has that honour already doesn't he? He was 17 when he started playing for Carlton.

Gees the Carlton website really needs to update the player profiles. He has played 57 games :thumbsu:

http://bigpondguide.com/8411a_1_

Hopefully that works now.

I think Lance has that honour already doesn't he? He was 17 when he started playing for Carlton.

He's played 57 games leading up to his 50th?

Confused much?

:p

Quite amazing that he's played that many games for a 20 year old. Probably one of the reasons he's underrated by opposition supporters is that they think he's older than he actually is, but at only 20, he's got heaps of improvement left in him.

Quite amazing that he's played that many games for a 20 year old. Probably one of the reasons he's underrated by opposition supporters is that they think he's older than he actually is, but at only 20, he's got heaps of improvement left in him.

I think the main reason that he is underrated by opposition supporters is that he was taken number 2, had a cracking first game, then wen tquiet.

How much would you give it to the Pies if Thomas had a cracking first game then disappeared for two years.

Tex has done a hard apprenticeship, but is now becoming one of the truly good players in our team, and in the comp. lets just hope his improvement of the last 12 months continues and he becomes one of the elite in the competition.
IMO I think he will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back