Past Andrew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'll get emotional on Sunday. I love Carlton and I love Carlton players. Andrew Walker has been a beacon of hope for the club since he arrived in the 2003 draft. We were lucky that Carlton was so awful in 2003 that we secured Walker with a priority pick in that draft. I remember being pretty excited about an athletic 190cm footballer who would be playing with a pretty handy athletic 190cm footballer we had at the time. I remember his debut game at Princes Park in 2004 when he ripped the game apart. The years of hope and despair were hard to take. Injury after injury denied us an elite player. How lucky we didn't lose him before the 2011 season. Frustrated with his treatment he wanted out. Adelaide coughed up the Walker pick for Tambling (tee HEE) and the rest is the icing on the cake. A stellar 2011 season up forward kicking 50 plus goals. The mark of the century. The goal of the century. The 2013 season saw a mature Walker become an attacking defender proving he was capable at both ends of the ground. The remainder has been a battle against the effects of injury with more than a few glimpses of his ability. His preparation is second to none. The finely tuned exterior makes it difficult to fathom that his body is shot. That's why I expect him to have a good one on Sunday. His mental strength will see him through. And when it's finished I'll be on my feet clapping until he disappears from view.

Still bitter he never won MOTY and didn't get AA in 2011.

Congratulations on a great career Walks. Victim of your own versatility in a way but you bled blue and I am sad that you won't be here for the good times, because you sure as s**t went through the tough ones.

What a pity to be seeing the last of 1AW in the Navy. :(
With his chronic shoulder and knee problems, the fact he reached 200 games is a tribute to his resilience, determination and talent. I love that he remained a one club player with us through our clubs' crappiest years.

Many, many thanks Andrew! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(The number 1 jumper must now go into mothballs until the arrival of one B. Silvagni.)

What a pity to be seeing the last of 1AW in the Navy. :(
With his chronic shoulder and knee problems, the fact he reached 200 games is a tribute to his resilience, determination and talent. I love that he remained a one club player with us through our clubs' crappiest years.

Many, many thanks Andrew! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(The number 1 jumper must now go into mothballs until the arrival of one B. Silvagni.)

Retire number 1 for a year as per tradition, then switch Jack to #1, keep #2 for Ben and by the time Tom is ready #3 will probably be available.

Well done Walks. Will always remember that mark, a few ripper goals and that massive bump on Christensen
Still remember meeting him at his first training session at the club.
Seemed like a really nice person even then.
Over heard him talking to his old boy. He was talking about how he shouldn't have been nervous and that training at Carlton was " just like seniors training for Echuca". :eek:

2011 for anyone in the their mid 20s and younger would have to be their best memory of a Carlton season.

Walks was as a big a part of that year as any, and I still remember the buzz after the Essendon game (both of them).

It's a shame he'll join a bunch of other heroes in that era who never got to taste real success, but for everything he had to endure injury wise, he more than earned his 202 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back