Past Andrew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

When I started following Carlton, we won 3 flags in 4 years, 4 in 9 and made finals 10 years straight.

Carlton made the finals, that was the top five from 1978 to 1988.
11 years straight. I assume your first season was 1979 ( to make it 10) which was a damn good year to get on board.
Actually any year from 1968 to 1979 would have been a good year to get on board. I actually got no idea why I chose Carlton myself. Think I just loved the jumper the most as a little kid.
Any supporters that been with Carlton since any of these periods have indeed been blessed.

I feel for players like Walker and Simpson that been players in the darkest part of our history but really special effort to be one club players.
2011 was the season they would have experienced closest to being in a grand final. I think if Waite, Gibbs and Kruezer had been out there for finals footy in week 2 of 2011 , Walks would have got to experience Carlton in a grand final a few weeks later. He probably should have got a free in dying minutes in the final in Perth but them the breaks. Would have been in preliminary final although even with other players back still feel we were a star player or two short of a premier team in 2011.

Yes 1979 was my first year. I lived somewhere that a committee member owned and he took me to training and Carlton players would visit. I was old enough to appreciate it as I came over from NZ as a kid rather than being born into supporting the game.

I feel for players like Walker and Simpson that been players in the darkest part of our history but really special effort to be one club players.
2011 was the season they would have experienced closest to being in a grand final. I think if Waite, Gibbs and Kruezer had been out there for finals footy in week 2 of 2011 , Walks would have got to experience Carlton in a grand final a few weeks later. He probably should have got a free in dying minutes in the final in Perth but them the breaks. Would have been in preliminary final although even with other players back still feel we were a star player or two short of a premier team in 2011.

I was at the 2011 semi-final and I remember being pretty pissed off at Walks. I maintain that had he made a real effort to go for the ball rather than throwing his hands up and succumbing to Glass' arm around him he would have gotten the free and we would have been playing Geelong in the Prelim.

No doubt that we would have beaten WCE easily had we had Kreuze and Gibbs that night. What annoyed me even more is that predictably the Eagles went to the MCG and barely gave a yelp as the Cats pummelled them. We would have at the very least given them a proper game.

big ups to walks...
he's been both exciting and frustrating...although the excitement certainly out weighs the frustration for me.
he's been as dynamic as they come when fully fit, just sorry to see the last 2-3 years of his career dogged with injury and I'm sorry he didn't see the success he craved.

respect...

I remember be there for his first game and thinking that he was going to be a sensation.
Fact is that not many get to be sensations esp when they are not in top teams but he certainly had sensational moments

Good Memory.

Interesting side note, the majority of the players who speak in this clip are now at different clubs

odd they didn't talk to jeffy who seemed on the footage the closest of them all.

Still don't understand why he was moved back after 2011, bewildering

That 1st game against WC is my favourite memory of standing in the social club bar...at a time where we were so s**t that drinking beer and talking to mates was the modus operandi.

Cruelled by injury but a very good career nonetheless.

Best of luck in the AFL afterlife!!

Yes 1979 was my first year. I lived somewhere that a committee member owned and he took me to training and Carlton players would visit. I was old enough to appreciate it as I came over from NZ as a kid rather than being born into supporting the game.

I had no idea you came from across the dutch when you were a kud.

You type without an accent at all. But I suppose you have been here thirty sivin years... :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had no idea you came from across the dutch when you were a kud.

You type without an accent at all. But I suppose you have been here thirty sivin years... :p

You're a but of a duckhead eh bro?

Good Memory.

Interesting side note, the majority of the players who speak in this clip are now at different clubs

Reckon they could interview some of the mark of the year selection panel and ask why it was not as good as the winners mark.

Think I heard on the radio it was a public vote that year, but I was o/s that year so don't know for sure. Anyone remember?

Panel vote. I recall Luke Darcy making a token effort to justify it. I think the chest mark vs taking it in the hands and single opponent vs pack had a bearing. Totally overlooks the timing, the height and the fact that Walks had to generate much of that leap rather than get a ride on a solid pack underneath.

Was in the rooms after his debut game .... had the world at his feet
Terrible run of injuries - years of shoulder problems then the knees.

Hope he gets sent off with a win and a bag of goals.

I was at the 2011 semi-final and I remember being pretty pissed off at Walks. I maintain that had he made a real effort to go for the ball rather than throwing his hands up and succumbing to Glass' arm around him he would have gotten the free and we would have been playing Geelong in the Prelim.

No doubt that we would have beaten WCE easily had we had Kreuze and Gibbs that night. What annoyed me even more is that predictably the Eagles went to the MCG and barely gave a yelp as the Cats pummelled them. We would have at the very least given them a proper game.
Think Waite was missing that game as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back