Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
You guys have an absolute ripper here.
I've known him since childhood & he was always one of the youngest in his class & his footy team due to WA cutoff dates for birthdays. He was always small & skinny, but fast & skilled with a surprisingly good mark for his height.
Since then he has grown & filled out & is as tough as old boots. He hurts oppo players, like his old man did, in a fair, but nasty way.
Brilliant character & will do anything for the team. Will work as hard as anybody on the track.
Seriously, I can't speak highly enough about him, & no I'm not related.
Check out his WA game against Vic Metro where he hardly got the ball, but he made sure Rowell didn't do much either.
All the best & I reckon you guys drafted as well as anybody & it's not just because my son is mates with Chad.
I hope he lives up to this comment. I have been waiting for a player like this since Mumford - who can hurt opponents in a fair and nasty way.

it’s really the only way to hurt opponents.

swannyfan

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wall St. Turtles
Really loving the look of this guy. Probably won't get the same BF love as the others due to lack of perceived x-factor.

Rewatched his WA games. footskills not his forte, but is the consummate team player. Does all the dirty in and under work/chasing/blocking for team mates/flinging himself around for smothers etc. When winning the hard ball or even receiving a handpass in space, first instinct is to get it to his outside ball users without trying to do too much himself in search of self glory. Tackles with reckless abandon.

Already built with the framework of a sherman tank, once he fills out a bit, i reckon this guy could be a bit of a 'you want that ball you've gotta through me' type enforcer. Though early stages, it's looking like we have a really exciting mix of inside bulls and outside class.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Really loving the look of this guy. Probably won't get the same BF love as the others due to lack of perceived x-factor.

Rewatched his WA games. footskills not his forte, but is the consummate team player. Does all the dirty in and under work/chasing/blocking for team mates/flinging himself around for smothers etc. When winning the hard ball or even receiving a handpass in space, first instinct is to get it to his outside ball users without trying to do too much himself in search of self glory. Tackles with reckless abandon.

Already built with the framework of a sherman tank, once he fills out a bit, i reckon this guy could be a bit of a 'you want that ball you've gotta through me' type enforcer. Though early stages, it's looking like we have a really exciting mix of inside bulls and outside class.

Sherman tanks had too high a profile (too tall) and for a tank in WW2 they were thinly armoured and had a rather weak gun. They were reliable though, did not break down nearly as much as the British and German tanks.

Summed it up perfectly with this post mate. Doesn't need to have x-factor. If he's getting first hands to the ball and winning the basic hard balls, then getting it out to those around him who do have the x-factor, then he's nailing his role as an inside mid. The bolded particularly is what I hope translates for this kid at the top level.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just watched his interview on Swans website.

Probably the most Aussie bloke you will ever see. Absolute hoot. Looks like a ripper.

Wow you are not wrong. He is so Australian he is one step away from marrying a crocodile.

Also what is with the weird romantic restaurant music in the background?

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
What a relief for Warner of the West.
No longer dressed in the drab of blue and white.
Now cloaked in the might of Regal Red And White!

And, I'll also add for fu, this likely lad looks to have some shovel.
barry likes a bit of shovel, situated centre square.

Onwards to Victory!

Would not be out of place on a building site at 9 am and sitting on a milk crate having a smoke, a pie and an iced coffee.

HOW DO YOU KNOW MY MUM.

Back