Past #1: Daniel Currie - officially traded to Gold Coast in exchange for a third round selection (#53)

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll put his name up there.

With the departure of Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon, they'll be a bit short on ruck/relief ruck options.

Nicholls and Gorringe will be left to shoulder the ruck load, which is a bit of a concern for them. Gorringe wanted out last year and he has been hampered by injury. Peter Wright will be used primarily forward, and outside of that, you probably have Sam Day (who you wouldn't want playing more than 20% ruck time).

So, I would back Cuz in to get a game and perform. He'll benefit from a rucking role that is primarily rucking focused, and setting up around stoppages as opposed to floating forward and having to impact in that position of the ground when a bloke like Goldy is #1 ruck.

Good luck to him though, he's a good bloke. Played footy a few years ahead of him at the Knights and know his brother Paul quite well. Good family and he will acquit himself well up there, as he has down at Arden Street.

All the best Cuz.

Gorringe is on the way out too from what I've heard.

Can not blame him for wanting greater opportunities especially when you tear the VFL to shreds and then have the impossibility of pushing the best ruckman out of the side. He got to represent the club he grew up for, something I would pay large sums of money to do. I hope he goes up there and out plays Nicholls and show what he can do :) Go Cuz, make Nicholls your bitch :D

Getting a spot in the side before Goldstein is the hardest job in footy. He's the best in his position and needs almost no assistance. Currie did his best in his three years at North, cracked a couple of games after a long, long time on AFL lists and was consistently in the bests for Werribee when fit. Goodbye and goodluck, Crusher. Also, help destroy Gold Coast from within tah mate thats all for now.

Best of luck to him, he's a quality ruckman and I hope he gets serious gametime next year. Deserves the chance to make a real go of his career and wasn't going to get that with us. He will always be remembered as one of the lucky few in the history of all that is to pull on a guernsey for the NMFC :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#1 Daniel Currie

CURRIE%20Daniel.png

Games: 0
Goals: 0

It was another frustrating season for Daniel Currie, failing to play a senior game for the seventh year of his eight season AFL career. The former Swan had to contend with teammate Todd Goldstein's unbelievable form as North Melbourne's solo ruck, meaning he could never earn a call-up to the senior side, despite strong VFL form for Werribee.

After the opening 10 rounds of the VFL season, Currie was the leading vote-getter in the J.J. Liston Trophy. However, injury struck, suffering a tear of his plantar fascia. Originally meant to be sidelined for a few weeks, Currie missed two months of football, ending the chances of him being crowned the VFL's fairest and best player.

Currie returned at the end of the season, and despite missing a significant chunk of the season, still managed to finish just four votes behind eventual winner Nick Rippon from North Ballarat.

At 26, with eight seasons and just four games to show for it, Currie is desperate to become a regular AFL player. The ruckman has attracted strong interest from the Gold Coast Suns, while Greater Western Sydney have also made inquiries. No one at North Melbourne would begrudge Currie for moving to another club. If he leaves, thanks for your services Cuz, and the North Melbourne fraternity sincerely hope you can become a team's first-choice big man.

Daniel Currie is currently playing the quality of football that would arguably see him playing in the seniors at many other AFL clubs.

But with Todd Goldstein dominating, Currie continues to wait in the wings at VFL level.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-05-11/number-one-contender

Daniel Currie was thrust right into the heat of battle with Werribee on Sunday as he made his long-awaited return from a torn plantar fascia.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-08-24/currie-turns-corner

A late season foot injury may have cost Daniel Currie the chance to claim the VFL’s highest individual honour, the J.J Liston Trophy.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-09-08/vfl-currie-best-ruck

404004-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

So what does everyone think we could get for him?

GC have 2nd and 3rd rounds (35 & 40) which I think that ballpark is what he's worth.

Can't tell if not getting a game is going to help or hinder us, especially as Goldy is the best of the best and no 2nd ruckman would have played.

So what does everyone think we could get for him?

GC have 2nd and 3rd rounds (35 & 40) which I think that ballpark is what he's worth.

Can't tell if not getting a game is going to help or hinder us, especially as Goldy is the best of the best and no 2nd ruckman would have played.
The way GC is going they'll end up with a plethora of picks. Apparently they should only be taking 3 in the draft, so I'd imagine we'll hold out on a deal until the very end and take the highest pick available that at they won't be using. Could end up being in the 30's-40's if we're lucky!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back