Opinion 1 era ends, but the new has begun: or the sweet relief of finally getting O'Meara after all that

Remove this Banner Ad

JoondalupJ why do you need to single Lewis out. Why do posters on here suddenly want to think Lewis is a Sook?
Hawks can't guarantee him a contract past next year, Melbourne offer him three years on good coin, why is a retirement package ok for Sam and not Jordy?

No way just go and watch Clarko speak about it all on the Hawks website pure class Clarko pure class
Wright admitted that it had not gone down well. Again, it's got nothing to do with Mitchell and Lewis leaving, it's the issue we've been bent over for just about all the trades now—probably based on blowing our load early with Mitchell. Good on Clarkson for helping his mates out, but it is having a haemorrhaging effect on how the other clubs are now dealing with us.

Look, if Gold Coast want to be pricks, good luck to them. Just that I'm not sure anyone will be falling over themselves to deal with them in the future.
Which is the statement they are trying to make. And fair enough if half your side is trying to escape.

If anyone thinks this is all part of the plan and not a big mess, go watch GW video about the trade. This period will go down as the worst ever.

Our engine room has been destroyed - JOM no nearer to getting done. Pick 10 draft was a dum decision as it has meant we have nothing to negotiate with now. I would of prefered my chances to get the JOM deal done with the pick we traded for 10.

Apparent GC want a first and early second. Im sure if we went to them offered what we did for pick 10 now this deal would be done.

Apparently now Hartung is off the table, good luck next year when breust becomes a RFA, he aint going to take less than market value after this whole F#$%# up.

Club culture is stuff, no more team first. Good work Hawks

Look i might sound crazy here but here is my opinion now.
O'Meara: If we get him we expect a season like burton. comes in late ready to go gives him confidences in his body and ability and the fans something to look forward about in the future. Then 2018 is when he steps it up
T-Mitchell: We already know what will be getting inside beast, tackling ability, good quick hands and physical presences.
Vickery: The unknown. Huge risk-reward here. Hopefully he trains hard, does more than expected and really fits into the team well. Would love to see him kick 30-40 goals. Question is Ruck-Fwd or Fwd-Ruck
Shiels
: Already know what we get. Good tackler, tagger at times, inside ability, quick hands, good foot skills and physical presences.
O'Rouke: Hawks knew he would take time, due to injuries at gws and his lack of game time. Looks set to be best 22 next year, and with another pre-season hope to see him get more time in the middle. Because when he did in my opinion thats when he shined as a player.
Langford: If he can just work on his kicking efficiency he is a good player. Again an inside player with a ball magnet mentality and physical player. 2014 proved what he can be and who he hopefully will be.
Hartung: Will take the Hill role and in my opinion will fill it well. doesn't need to be a physical influence, just a ball carrier with a good foot and reading of the play. I believe he deserves a whole season now, no in and out.
WhiteX: Honestly thought his career with hawthorn was over. But he is that swing man back/fwd. cool under pressure, good decision maker, body on the line player. Will be our new burgoyne.
Brand: Has he signed? But will be a good KPB and deserves a near full season next year.
Burton: Gee im excited about him. Again another swing man who will be able to play back/fwd. Looked cool under pressure and smart with ball use. only going to get better. who knows what he is going to be, but it will be something special.
Lovell: Thought he showed good signs as well. be interesting to see what he develops into, because many hawks supporters i have spoken to believe he will be a inside mid and other believe he has the ability to play the wing. Good potential.
TOB: Look not as much as we expected or hope from him. but i thought he look alright down back. Seemed more influential down back and confident in his ability. Really hope he improves in the off-season.
Sicily: Has the goods, he has shown it. We just need him to be able to lift when things aren't going 100%
Howe: I actually don't have much of an opinion on him due to not really knowing his game. in-put would be good

I can see a lot of positives. games and spots have freed up for these players and it allows new leaders to speak up.

Look i might sound crazy here but here is my opinion now.
O'Meara: If we get him we expect a season like burton. comes in late ready to go gives him confidences in his body and ability and the fans something to look forward about in the future. Then 2018 is when he steps it up
T-Mitchell: We already know what will be getting inside beast, tackling ability, good quick hands and physical presences.
Vickery: The unknown. Huge risk-reward here. Hopefully he trains hard, does more than expected and really fits into the team well. Would love to see him kick 30-40 goals. Question is Ruck-Fwd or Fwd-Ruck
Shiels
: Already know what we get. Good tackler, tagger at times, inside ability, quick hands, good foot skills and physical presences.
O'Rouke: Hawks knew he would take time, due to injuries at gws and his lack of game time. Looks set to be best 22 next year, and with another pre-season hope to see him get more time in the middle. Because when he did in my opinion thats when he shined as a player.
Langford: If he can just work on his kicking efficiency he is a good player. Again an inside player with a ball magnet mentality and physical player. 2014 proved what he can be and who he hopefully will be.
Hartung: Will take the Hill role and in my opinion will fill it well. doesn't need to be a physical influence, just a ball carrier with a good foot and reading of the play. I believe he deserves a whole season now, no in and out.
WhiteX: Honestly thought his career with hawthorn was over. But he is that swing man back/fwd. cool under pressure, good decision maker, body on the line player. Will be our new burgoyne.
Brand: Has he signed? But will be a good KPB and deserves a near full season next year.
Burton: Gee im excited about him. Again another swing man who will be able to play back/fwd. Looked cool under pressure and smart with ball use. only going to get better. who knows what he is going to be, but it will be something special.
Lovell: Thought he showed good signs as well. be interesting to see what he develops into, because many hawks supporters i have spoken to believe he will be a inside mid and other believe he has the ability to play the wing. Good potential.
TOB: Look not as much as we expected or hope from him. but i thought he look alright down back. Seemed more influential down back and confident in his ability. Really hope he improves in the off-season.
Sicily: Has the goods, he has shown it. We just need him to be able to lift when things aren't going 100%
Howe: I actually don't have much of an opinion on him due to not really knowing his game. in-put would be good

I can see a lot of positives. games and spots have freed up for these players and it allows new leaders to speak up.

Great list compile. Everyone bar the players that haven;t played much/or not at all on that list are going to have to lift at least by 25 - 40% on their current output. Some even upward of that. With Lewis and Mitchell leaving...Clarkson is now putting the question back onto the group....CAN YOU lift....and take us into the next phase.

Great list compile. Everyone bar the players that haven;t played much/or not at all on that list are going to have to lift at least by 25 - 40% on their current output. Some even upward of that. With Lewis and Mitchell leaving...Clarkson is now putting the question back onto the group....CAN YOU lift....and take us into the next phase.
correct. we also find out who is up to standard and who isn't.

If anyone thinks this is all part of the plan and not a big mess, go watch GW video about the trade. This period will go down as the worst ever.

Our engine room has been destroyed - JOM no nearer to getting done. Pick 10 draft was a dum decision as it has meant we have nothing to negotiate with now. I would of prefered my chances to get the JOM deal done with the pick we traded for 10.

Apparent GC want a first and early second. Im sure if we went to them offered what we did for pick 10 now this deal would be done.

Apparently now Hartung is off the table, good luck next year when breust becomes a RFA, he aint going to take less than market value after this whole F#$%# up.

*throws toys out of cot*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Langers and Woody are going to really step up next year . Langford can get back to 2014 form and better with a good pre season and injury free run. As for Woodward I am super confident in this bloke , he built up his body during his time out with knee injuries and is now a contested ball beast., he played 3 games back for Box Hill and was close to BOG in them all when the club shut him down for the last few weeks, he is going to shock a lot of people how he goes next year.

Our engine room was destroyed last year by the best clubs, keep it the same you reckon? and accept a Brisbane Lions demise? Nah, I disagree with you 100%
Im not saying I am against change, I believe they had a plan to rebuild the list. However the way they went about it has resulted in us getting squat all for two legends. Mitchell I can accept but Lewis for two late pick upgrades? Surely when they came up with the idea to move these two on, they were expecting to atleast get a 2nd for Lewis. GW even admits that they didn't want to lose him and looked exhausted when he fronted the cameras. This is poor planning and even worse execution.

So you think the way Hawks went about this trade period has been great? I think its a cockup since the start. Changing Vickery's contract structure, quickly completing the Mitchell deal, completing the pick 10 deal, then doing a flip-floping on Lewis and now backtracking on Hartung.

I mean it's no wonder we get such crappy deals for Mitchell and Lewis. There has been no process/structure only desperation quickly scrambling last minute.

We have a pick 10 which is looking like it might not be enough to get Omeara, so why did we do the trade in the first place? Are you telling me that all this is just my inaccurate perception?

Whats worst is now Clarko has to come out and defend the decisions made and from his interview i don't get any answers for the reasons why we did what we did so far.

I know alot of you will say "in clarko and GW we trust, considering where they have taken us" but when there a massive F&*D up like this, im sorry but its hard not to get upset.

The rationale of Lewis/Mitchell i can understand. Tugs at the heart strings, but good buisness for all parties.

The Tom Mitchell trade was a win in my eyes.

In that respect, we've done well... but in isolation the trade with St Kilda is concerning.

That may all change and we trade in JOM or use pick 10 to select him in the national draft... but if we don't, it looks like a paniced move.

I've had a gutful.Sam leaving has killed it for me, he'll if Lewis goes and poppy makes it worse.i decided tonight that the way us the supporters have been treated and forgotten about by the club shows me that they couldn't care less about the fans, treat veterans with disdain move them on for bit players from multiple different clubs,acted aggressively like rabid dogs to get players who know nothing about the brown & gold.Decided it's time to walk away from footy, Sammy was my hero wanted my son to meet him but it never happened, now definetly won't... I never had another member of the team I liked except lake from the three peat, after that i didn't even barrack for sizzle.So maybe being heartbroken it's time to move on to things that aren't so painful.i'm tired of everybody praising GW and clarko.they got this wrong, very wrong.
I accept your wish to be removed from the Hawk Board.

Another great trade week deal completed. Thanks Clarko.

Totally agree. Clarkos members response was well crafted, carefully avoiding the real question of 'where do we sit now' and focused on 'looking after the boys leaving' and 'culture'.
Well base line is we have handed over a lot for a wooden nickel in Vick and A decent player in Tom.
Clarko looked beaten and frazzled.
So he should, been a bad week.

It you had told me at the start of the trade period that we had to lose one of Lewis or Mitchell to secure O'meara, I think that could be reasonably sold.

The problem is that during the trade period we have now lost Lewis, Sam and all our top picks and we still seemingly can't afford O'meara. Top 10 only feels like a stretch.

Trading Sam early for no value, set a terrible precedent that we were desperate. It just seems that in hindsight ( given we got no value for either) , that we should have left these deals until after we had something finalized that satisfied the gc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back