Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Medium midfielder who impressed with his aggressive attack on the ball and his opponent whenrepresenting Western Australia in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships averaging 18.2 disposals (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles. He is a prolific ball winner at Colts level with East Fremantle averaging 27.1 disposals, 7.4 tackles and 6.4 clearances in nine matches

Last edited:
Welcome to the Bloods Chad.
DRAFT ANALYSIS: “A hard-working medium-sized midfielder who thrives on the contested side of the game.”
THE Willetton Junior produced an outstanding season of football that has seen him rise up many draft boards. An inside midfielder similar to West Coast’s Jack Redden, Warner is hard-working, thrives on the contested side of the game, has good skills and is defensively sound. While he does not boast explosive speed, Warner has shown an ability to get from contest-to-contest, often throwing his body around like a battering-ram to win the hard ball for his team.
Warner produced an outstanding season for both the Sharks and the WA U18s State team. In nine games for East Fremantle’s Colts team, Warner averaged 27 possessions, seven tackles, three inside 50s, three marks and showed an ability to hit the scoreboard, booting eight goals. He was named in the best on seven occasions, and of these, the standout performances came against Claremont in round one (24 possessions, seven tackles, three inside 50s and a goal), Swan Districts in round 14 (31 possessions, 13 tackles, five inside 50s and a goal) and Peel Thunder in round 15 (26 possessions, eight tackles and three inside 50s).

from https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-11-28/pick-45
Warner also produced a strong Championships campaign, that saw him average 19 possessions (nine contested), seven tackles, four inside 50s and three clearances across four games. His best performances came against Vic Metro (12 possessions and 11 tackles) and Vic Country (25 possessions – 10 contested – six inside 50s, five tackles and four clearances).

Chad Warner
Club: East Fremantle
Height: 181cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Midfielder
Medium midfielder who impressed with his aggressive attack on the ball and his opponent when representing Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 disposals (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles. He was a prolific ball-winner at Colts level with East Fremantle, averaging 27.1 disposals, 7.4 tackles and 6.4 clearances in nine matches.
What they said
"The focus going into the AFL Draft was to refresh our midfield group. Chad is a left-footer, he's really hard at the footy, he's got an upbeat personality and we really like his attack on the footy and his use of the ball. His ability to influence the contest is really impressive." (Sydney Swans General Manager - Recruiting and List Strategy Kinnear Beatson)

Highlights
Warner%20thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Medium midfielder who impressed with his aggressive attack on the ball and his opponent whenrepresenting Western Australia in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships averaging 18.2 disposals (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles. He is a prolific ball winner at Colts level with East Fremantle averaging 27.1 disposals, 7.4 tackles and 6.4 clearances in nine matches

Looks like there's going to be some sore opposition midfielders in a few years time after lining up against Rowbottom and Warner.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Out of left field but looks the hard working type we value. Bonus is that he has good skills. Welcome Chad
Beatson and Dalrymple were rather chuffed with themselves they got him, so I’ll take that as a good sign.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
You guys have an absolute ripper here.
I've known him since childhood & he was always one of the youngest in his class & his footy team due to WA cutoff dates for birthdays. He was always small & skinny, but fast & skilled with a surprisingly good mark for his height.
Since then he has grown & filled out & is as tough as old boots. He hurts oppo players, like his old man did, in a fair, but nasty way.
Brilliant character & will do anything for the team. Will work as hard as anybody on the track.
Seriously, I can't speak highly enough about him, & no I'm not related.
Check out his WA game against Vic Metro where he hardly got the ball, but he made sure Rowell didn't do much either.
All the best & I reckon you guys drafted as well as anybody & it's not just because my son is mates with Chad.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
You guys have an absolute ripper here.
I've known him since childhood & he was always one of the youngest in his class & his footy team due to WA cutoff dates for birthdays. He was always small & skinny, but fast & skilled with a surprisingly good mark for his height.
Since then he has grown & filled out & is as tough as old boots. He hurts oppo players, like his old man did, in a fair, but nasty way.
Brilliant character & will do anything for the team. Will work as hard as anybody on the track.
Seriously, I can't speak highly enough about him, & no I'm not related.
Check out his WA game against Vic Metro where he hardly got the ball, but he made sure Rowell didn't do much either.
All the best & I reckon you guys drafted as well as anybody & it's not just because my son is mates with Chad.

I didn't think taggers we're allowed in the U18 Championships? Still thanks a lot for the write up as that all sounds very promising.

Last edited:
Back