Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he’s a chance to kick a couple today.

If we can get a bit more ascendancy in the midfield, compete and bring to ground with quick deep entries, his hard work should pay off.

That’s my early call for the day.

Very well called :thumbsu:

I have been critical of our drafting of Jack. I reckon I was wrong. Watched him as close as I could given it was on TV and I saw some really, really good efforts and second efforts from the kid today. He may just end up one of my favourites. Gee I miss seeing games live.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May I ask why you were critical of drafting?

Saw the two things he can build a game around today. Reading the play and football skills. The tackling was good too. Add a bit more size and he'll get a lot more HTB calls as he catches on faster than others with his quick mind.

Don't discount him as a future midfielder.

May I ask why you were critical of drafting?
7 tackles in a landslide win is nothing to get stiff over. Gee whizz.
As a small forward, he lacks leg speed and I really don’t see much X factor. 6 games to kick his first goal.....
He’s “crafty” apparently but he has a hell of a lot of work to do.
Not writing him off but to use our 2nd pick on him - I find that very, very interesting to say the least.

Dare I say it....Robbie Grey like. No amazing athletic attributes (I think) but just a very very smart footballer who loves a snag. I know we love an athlete who can run 20 metres in 2.8 seconds, and can jump over a 6ft high fence in the AFL these days but the football brain and the 6th sense this guy has (once he fills out and has a few pre seasons in the legs) is simply going to be so much more valuable then those traits in the long run. He will ice games for us on more then one occasion. He will be a bloke I want to kick it after the siren. Can’t wait to see what Agent Mahone has install for us all over the next 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he’s a chance to kick a couple today.

If we can get a bit more ascendancy in the midfield, compete and bring to ground with quick deep entries, his hard work should pay off.

That’s my early call for the day.
Quoted for accuracy...

Very interesting moment (off GRs all the goals vid-second goal) Jack sticks the tackle on the wing/back flank, gets the free, and soon after he's seen running past Jed in the forward line who delivers it on a platter to Higgo. Jack doesn't get it a second time, but shows he's covering the ground well, and running with intent. One moment a midfield defensive play, next minute he's past two lines of defenders.

Showed off some really good tackling skills today, and he can clearly kick a goal when he's in the right spots and giving a chance. His set shot routine is very clean as well.

Kid has some serious weapons that can make him have a really solid foundation for becoming a quality player.
Wow. If Mahoney has “serious weapons” how do you describe Liam Ryan, Charlie Cameron and Tom Papley?

Wow. If Mahoney has “serious weapons” how do you describe Liam Ryan, Charlie Cameron and Tom Papley?

5 years older, 7 years older and 6 years older.

7 tackles in a landslide win is nothing to get stiff over. Gee whizz.
As a small forward, he lacks leg speed and I really don’t see much X factor. 6 games to kick his first goal.....
He’s “crafty” apparently but he has a hell of a lot of work to do.
Not writing him off but to use our 2nd pick on him - I find that very, very interesting to say the least.

It was a pick in the 30’s big DF. It’s not like we flushed a pick in the early teens on a 170cm FP.

I’m hardly ”getting stiff” over the performance, but you need to give a kid a chance in the game. Too many want to be first in with the “ I called it, he’s no good”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back