Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Great footy smarts, good skills and tough as guts. Just needs to work on endurance and must try and increase his pace on field; even if its just for short bursts.
In a real weird position where he's small which normally means he's quick but just isn't. Not sure where he fits TBH; especially in North's new and improved 'pacey' team. With 2-3 years development with the players we have in the side/drafted 2020 I just don't see where he really fits or who he pushes out.

Great footy smarts, good skills and tough as guts. Just needs to work on endurance and must try and increase his pace on field; even if its just for short bursts.
In a real weird position where he's small which normally means he's quick but just isn't. Not sure where he fits TBH; especially in North's new and improved 'pacey' team. With 2-3 years development with the players we have in the side/drafted 2020 I just don't see where he really fits or who he pushes out.

I'd be putting some size on him and getting him to the stoppages. He strikes me as an inside type.

Massive sign of confidence in this kid. Comes across as a "greater than the sum of his parts" type. Thinking back to say Adams whose brain and skill let him deliver well and above what his body seemed to indicate as his potential.

Massive sign of confidence in this kid. Comes across as a "greater than the sum of his parts" type. Thinking back to say Adams whose brain and skill let him deliver well and above what his body seemed to indicate as his potential.

Leigh Adams is the perfect comparison IMO

Patch was one tough hombre, seeing Jack come back on after hurting his shoulder and get right back into the action he may well share a few traits.

I still hate Judd for his weak as piss chicken wing action on Patch.

I already hated him to start with and made it worse......

Last edited:
I still hate Judd for his weak as piss chicken wing tackle on Patch.

I already hated him to start with and made it worse......
Judd (like Hodge and Jordan Lewis) was responsible for some of the lowest cheap shots I’ve seen on the field, yet always got forgiven by commentators as something ’out of character’! It was BS. Especially when guy’s like LT and Byron were pilloried for going hard within the rules.

Judd (like Hodge and Jordan Lewis) was responsible for some of the lowest cheap shots I’ve seen on the field, yet always got forgiven by commentators as something ’out of character’! It was BS. Especially when guy’s like LT and Byron were pilloried for going hard within the rules.

Absolutely. Judd was a dirty player and I won't hear otherwise. Same as Lewis - Hodge I have a level below in sniper stakes.

I still can't understand why any commentator can laugh at that? Not going for the ball, busting an already bad shoulder?

Weak as piss considering Patch was defenseless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. Judd was a dirty player and I won't hear otherwise. Same as Lewis - Hodge I have a level below in sniper stakes.

I still can't understand why any commentator can laugh at that? Not going for the ball, busting an already bad shoulder?

Weak as piss considering Patch was defenseless.
I don’t think they realised initially what was happening but that was about the time Bruce was beginning his decline. They all were more intent on fellating Judd rather than calling out things like the eye gouging, pressure point disgrace and other disgraceful behaviour (I’m pretty sure there were elbowing and biting incidents too). Judd’s post playing career underlines what a piece of s**t he is IMO. I reckon Jack Mahoney might be a commentators favourite if he is any good on the back of his shorter stature.

LT’s treatment was absolutely disgusting. In a way, it didn’t help that he was a quieter bloke with a minimal media presence. Did have his issues with staging, but was generally a great role model for the youngsters.

LT’s treatment was absolutely disgusting. In a way, it didn’t help that he was a quieter bloke with a minimal media presence. Did have his issues with staging, but was generally a great role model for the youngsters.
The media typecasts some blokes as villains to suit their narrative and then commentate to back up their views. LT was crucified as was Choppy, other guys like Dermie, Barry Hall or Rhys Jones were lauded for being bad guy’s. Chris Lewis was another who’s talent was overlooked in favour of high lighting his indiscretions or Toby Greene.

Feel like as he builds strength and endurance his influence on games will increase. Hes a smart player who knows how to find it and where to get it to. Im really bullish about this guys prospects.
Recollection was his endurance is good. Particularly good in multiple 400m or so runs. Beat some good runners in that area.
Seems solid over the ball. One touch player, even under pressure - a trait of the new draftees.
Attributes he also has we’ve missed of late:
- strong tackler. I recollect him taking Dixon from Pt down in the wet. We’ve missed pressure when it hits the ground forward with Turner out. Need more of that - demonstrated by drafting too.
- composure and delivery into the 50. He has an ability to consistently put the team in a better position with his disposal. Takes the right option. Takes his chances on goal.
Great combo.

He’s going to be the one that flies under the radar from our 2019 draft haul IMO. Everyone loves Perez - who wouldn’t?, and Comben is getting some pretty over the top expectations. Jack has a lot of time up his sleeve (youngest player in the comp in 2020). He also works his a*** off, on the track - was putting in time running in the offseason with Rowbottom.

I get the knocks from a pace perspective. IF he did have pace, he’d have the attributes to be an absolute star. Still pretty bullish on him and think he can become a really good player. The list management team obviously rate footy IQ very highly, and Jack has that in spades. He’s also an excellent user.

I don’t think the future 22/forward half need to all have pace. It will help if he’s got some quick players around him (Stephenson, Zurhaar, Atu, Spicer etc.). I see him becoming that elite score involvement/assist forward, whilst providing good pressure and kicking goals himself.

Pretty confident he will be a player that gets the absolute most out of himself.

He’s going to be the one that flies under the radar from our 2019 draft haul IMO. Everyone loves Perez - who wouldn’t?, and Comben is getting some pretty over the top expectations. Jack has a lot of time up his sleeve (youngest player in the comp in 2020). He also works his a*** off, on the track - was putting in time running in the offseason with Rowbottom.

I get the knocks from a pace perspective. IF he did have pace, he’d have the attributes to be an absolute star. Still pretty bullish on him and think he can become a really good player. The list management team obviously rate footy IQ very highly, and Jack has that in spades. He’s also an excellent user.

I don’t think the future 22/forward half need to all have pace. It will help if he’s got some quick players around him (Stephenson, Zurhaar, Atu, Spicer etc.). I see him becoming that elite score involvement/assist forward, whilst providing good pressure and kicking goals himself.

Pretty confident he will be a player that gets the absolute most out of himself.

Lachie Neale isn’t any quicker than Mahony.

Or taller for that matter.

LT and Goodes had similar issues with staging, I've always found it interesting how the media has differentiated between these two in regards to this.

LT and Goodes had similar issues with staging, I've always found it interesting how the media has differentiated between these two in regards to this.

You know who else staged? Just about every white campaigner in the league, way more than Lindsay did. Did the racist media say anything about it? No they didn’t!

Lachie Neale isn’t any quicker than Mahony.

Or taller for that matter.

Yeah, but he has 15kgs & a better tank at the moment though.

This is where Jack needs to focus. Size & endurance. Forget about leg speed, he'll never have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back