Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
He's getting murdered in particular for "that kick" but that kick was exactly what Noble has been spruiking, trying to make things happen and learning the hard way when failing. He can be blamed for the goal going the other way to a degree but he can't be blamed for the next five, our guys should collectively be better.

He tried his guts out all day and he's only going to get better. Feels like he cops more from some people here because they didn't like where we drafted him but gee, don't know if I've seen a 19 year old ten gamer cop it like this from some.

I posted this in the Autopsy thread but I think it bears repeating here:

Just on that Mahony kick into the middle. I noticed that Jy (I think it was) who was about 25m away near our HFF actually called for him to centre it so it's not 100% Mahony's fault. With the new game plan it will be a learning curve of knowing when to slice through the middle on the 45's and when to go down the line, so I reckon in 10 games time this mistake doesn't happen.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

Just on that Mahony kick into the middle. I noticed that Jy (I think it was) who was about 25m away near our HFF actually called for him to centre it so it's not 100% Mahony's fault. With the new game plan it will be a learning curve of knowing when to slice through the middle on the 45's and when to go down the line, so I reckon in 10 games time this mistake doesn't happen.

Bang on.

Jack definitely deserves another crack this week. He was unlucky yesterday and he, probably, lost a bit of confidence. 3 efforts he made backfired in quick succession. He did really well to persist.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get the vibe they're not going to drop him nor are they going to try and turn him into what he's not.

I agree - I just question whether he is developed enough to play that role yet. We need to remember, he was the youngest player in the comp last year.

We're not going to miss finals because he stuffs up a few times there.

I say play the kid in the role we see him in for the next 12 years.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Devington summed it up really well but restating it here.

10 games
19 years old
Interrupted preseason
Debut season in 2020 - essentially worth half a season

Comes in and gets involved. That's all we should ask right now.

I cursed his errors on the day but how often had we had kids (and seniors) who come and look like they're not even sure what to do?

He found the action and botched the execution of a few times. Had a bit of bad luck too.

His precision will improve. Persist.

yep

There was plenty of comments before the season started that we need to put up with some mistakes and inconsistency from our young players
First game in and the pitchforks are starting to come out !
He'll be fine. Good players learn from their mistakes and I think he has the footy IQ to figure it out

*Unpopular opinion.

I'm buying Jack Mahony shares

Worked unbelievably hard to get involved and I think he 'looks' slower than he actually is. No doubt he made some questionable decisions and execution was also off (probably more of the latter given it accentuates the former) but if he's getting it 15 times a game, getting a tackle a quarter and hitting the scoreboard every week as 19yo, we all know he possesses footy smarts and is usually cleaner with his ball use.
Exactly the way I saw it.

Looks quicker and got more involved. Not worried about his disposal as we saw that his disposal was fine last year, but he lacked the tank to go for longer.

hundini

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2002
Switzerland
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's getting murdered in particular for "that kick" but that kick was exactly what Noble has been spruiking, trying to make things happen and learning the hard way when failing. He can be blamed for the goal going the other way to a degree but he can't be blamed for the next five, our guys should collectively be better.

He tried his guts out all day and he's only going to get better. Feels like he cops more from some people here because they didn't like where we drafted him but gee, don't know if I've seen a 19 year old ten gamer cop it like this from some.
The kid is a real goer. Runs hard both ways to get in good positions. Tackles big blokes with serious intent and has heaps of footy smarts, reported throughout his junior and draft years. He's done exactly what his coaches have asked in 2020 and now in 2021 so clearly is highly coachable. Yet he's not a sexy looking head and so keyboard warriors offer the type of myopic criticism seen on this forum...
Gee whiz, I hope the misery the number of losses north will deliver (& there will be plenty) over the coming 2 seasons bring much morbid satisfaction to those haters

With ‘that kick’, what may not be evident to those that watched on TV is the fact that I’m pretty sure Pt had an extra man down the line - Aliir.
He didn’t want to kick to a 2 on 1 so attempted to bring play in board.
Didn’t work on this occasion.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Yeah but unfortunately I think the modern game has gone past the Leigh adams short and slow type
Actually it hasn’t.

I was talking to an assistant coach not long ago and he was telling me the thought process in AFL recruiting is heading away from the pure athlete back to pure footballers - ie ball winners with high footy IQ’s.

We just recruited two in Phillips and Powell.

Mahony is in the same category - he’s the least of our worries.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Yeah first half of the year there’ll be teething issue with the new game plan - also add into that our injury list and having to play kids before they’re ready.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
With ‘that kick’, what may not be evident to those that watched on TV is the fact that I’m pretty sure Pt had an extra man down the line - Aliir.
He didn’t want to kick to a 2 on 1 so attempted to bring play in board.
Didn’t work on this occasion.

Correct.

As per usual, we had absolutely nothing forward of the ball.

Go back and watch the replay, particularly of the first quarter.

we haven’t had a small forward consistently involved in multiple plays inside 50 since Boomer and/or Lindsay.

And he has better defensive running.

He is a gem, I’m all in on Mahoney stock and I’m taking names.

Back