Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Watching the game on tv he literally torched 3-4 opportunities to have us further in front at quarter time.
Was the difference between getting belted and being right in it IMO.

can’t fault his effort but I reckon his missed shots were due to fatigue more than anything and being gassed

can we please play him closer to goal ffs

Last edited:

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he's the biggest battler we have right now in the young crop, he knows his own limitations physically but that doesn't deter him from trying his guts out ala Turner style every week.

Once he has enough experience behind him those deficiencies in his game from a skill standpoint will be tightened up, and he'll be as handy as a Caleb Daniel type once he matures.

Sure he looks thirty, but gotta remember he's as green as grass.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
iirc he was actually an inside mid growing up.
Ah ok cool...didn't know much about him since I've been a bit out of the loop on the ins and outs

Reminds me a little of Daniels from Bulldogs (not just cause of his size). Don't see this guy as a forward myself.

I think he's the biggest battler we have right now in the young crop, he knows his own limitations physically but that doesn't deter him from trying his guts out ala Turner style every week.

Once he has enough experience behind him those deficiencies in his game from a skill standpoint will be tightened up, and he'll be as handy as a Caleb Daniel type once he matures.

Sure he looks thirty, but gotta remember he's as green as grass.
Yep it’s been mentioned a few times but he’s unfortunately pretty much hrovat 2.0 lack of height and acceleration gets found out in the modern game

Caleb Daniel Type? Reminds me of the time that Aaron James was likened to Wayne Carey. :stern look

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The only youngster that people are happy to (and freely) critique.

He is 19.

Give him a chance. Has the smarts and the work ethic to make it. He may not, but it is premature to call it at this stage in his career.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Another suburban footballer without any real skills offered a sizeable contract extension without any justification.

We may as well add him to the leadership group with Kanye as well.
Surprised to read he had been extended to end 2023. I think sometimes we need to risk losing someone instead of these premature extensions.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If Mahony was wearing a Melbourne jumper, I doubt you'd be so bullish about his future as an AFL footballer.
Everyone's got a view, and fair enough, but I think Jack's going okay - biggest area improvement is disposal efficiency, which is low. More of that deft entry to Turner please (also helpful if Kayne kicked what he should have)

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If Mahony was wearing a Melbourne jumper, I doubt you'd be so bullish about his future as an AFL footballer.

Who says I'm 'bullish'.

I'm just not laying waste to a 19-year-old kid who hasn't even got 50 games under his belt like the rest of you.

And being rose-tinted about the 'what-ifs' of drafting is an exercise in futility, go off and live in the fantasy world if you like, but you'd just be sitting there with your arms crossed pouting and nothing will come of it.

Back