Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Needs to be in vfl working on his craft we had to rush him in last season but this season we can afford him playing vfl for a bit. He's got football smarts but needs to work on execution

At the moment we can barely get a team on the field, prepare yourself for 22 games for Jack and the main reason for that is his head doesn’t drop.

I’m with you on his need to hone execution but we’re in the perfect spot for him to learn that in the big league. If the season is about the future we’re not gonna flick a 19 year old off to the reserves unless he’s really stinking it up.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who says I'm 'bullish'.

I'm just not laying waste to a 19-year-old kid who hasn't even got 50 games under his belt like the rest of you.

And being rose-tinted about the 'what-ifs' of drafting is an exercise in futility, go off and live in the fantasy world if you like, but you'd just be sitting there with your arms crossed pouting and nothing will come of it.
Agree

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perhaps the path Mahoney should be following then - playing VFL and learning the craft.

My view on that is that it depends. If he was to go back to the VFL because they want to get serious game time into him as an inside mid-fielder then I can see plenty of upside in that. If they were to send him to the VFL only to play as a small forward who pinch hits in the middle then he may as well stay in the seniors where he will learn the role against the best and at the game pace he needs to contend with.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My view on that is that it depends. If he was to go back to the VFL because they want to get serious game time into him as an inside mid-fielder then I can see plenty of upside in that. If they were to send him to the VFL only to play as a small forward who pinch hits in the middle then he may as well stay in the seniors where he will learn the role against the best and at the game pace he needs to contend with.
He was drafted as an inside mid who can play forward.

He is very young and obviously has physical limitations (hence the Sam Mitchell references and for those a little older Greg Williams was the same).

It seems to me the normal career path here would be to work 2 full seasons in the VFL - these type of slower more skilled guys are simply not ready at 19 for AFL level - they need more training on how to overcome their limitations and are more likely to be ready at circa 21.

As to the argument that we have no one else - well Atu was recruited for a role as a small forward - why is he still running around in the 2's? Get him in.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agreed and I expect him dropped this week with Lmac, Curtis and Bonar back

Those 3 definitely all available? Corr? I would expect Attu and Xerri to be a big chance of selection too.
I assume Polec and Anderson likely to miss. I would drop Atley and Turner before Mahony to send a message that senior players need to have an actual impact. Lachie Young might be in trouble as he caused multiple damaging turnovers although he didn't appear to drop his head.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Those 3 definitely all available? Corr? I would expect Attu and Xerri to be a big chance of selection too.
I assume Polec and Anderson likely to miss. I would drop Atley and Turner before Mahony to send a message that senior players need to have an actual impact. Lachie Young might be in trouble as he caused multiple damaging turnovers although he didn't appear to drop his head.

Corr is still out for 3-4 weeks

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
He was drafted as an inside mid who can play forward.

He is very young and obviously has physical limitations (hence the Sam Mitchell references and for those a little older Greg Williams was the same).

It seems to me the normal career path here would be to work 2 full seasons in the VFL - these type of slower more skilled guys are simply not ready at 19 for AFL level - they need more training on how to overcome their limitations and are more likely to be ready at circa 21.

As to the argument that we have no one else - well Atu was recruited for a role as a small forward - why is he still running around in the 2's? Get him in.
Maybe under different circumstances he would've played 20 games in the VFL and a handful of AFL.

Depending on who's available this week, there'd be no harm in putting him back to the VFL, stick him in the middle and let him get his hands on it 20+ times.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Young's doing ok, with the pressure in the backline the young guys will make mistakes trying to take the game on, he'll improve over time. We need defenders who are brave and wanna make stuff happen.

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
FFS Im sick of the “he’s only 19 give him a chance” s**t. Every week I see an 18 or 19 year old draftee from an opposition club in their second or third game kicking 3 goals or amassing 30 possessions.

Just face it - I cannot remember the last time that we drafted someone who has excelled early or we have been able to develop into a star.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
FFS Im sick of the “he’s only 19 give him a chance” sh*t. Every week I see an 18 or 19 year old draftee from an opposition club in their second or third game kicking 3 goals or amassing 30 possessions.

Just face it - I cannot remember the last time that we drafted someone who has excelled early or we have been able to develop into a star.

How many of them played in winning teams?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FFS Im sick of the “he’s only 19 give him a chance” sh*t. Every week I see an 18 or 19 year old draftee from an opposition club in their second or third game kicking 3 goals or amassing 30 possessions.

Yeah, bullshit. Logan McDonald got 3 goals once. Braeden Campbell got 25 disposals once. Apart from that no 18/19 year old in their first, second or third game has come close this year, let alone every week.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bullshit, in winning teams with really good senior support around them perhaps and Not being crushed and belted every week.

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco

Powell. Already looks like he's played 50 games, has more poise and footy smarts than most of the list.

Digby Morrell

All Australian
Aug 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I share your frustrations.

It feels that way because we are naturally more critical of our own as supporters. Very rarely do 19 year old have a huge impacts on games ( there is the odd beast like Walsh, Rowell for example) but our youth is up there as one of the more talented groups in the league I think.
Each player grows at a different rate. Some take 50 -60 games, some are instantly good and some don’t just make it.

Stephenson has had a 30+ game, by the end of the year I think we will have seen LDU, Powell and potentially Phillips do the same.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I share your frustrations.

It feels that way because we are naturally more critical of our own as supporters. Very rarely do 19 year old have a huge impacts on games ( there is the odd beast like Walsh, Rowell for example) but our youth is up there as one of the more talented groups in the league I think.
Each player grows at a different rate. Some take 50 -60 games, some are instantly good and some don’t just make it.

Stephenson has had a 30+ game, by the end of the year I think we will have seen LDU, Powell and potentially Phillips do the same.

Agree.

Ben Cunnington didn't rack up a 20 possession game until his 26th attempt. He didn't start to regularly have 20 plus possession games until he had played 45 games at the senior level.

Jack is tracking alright. He may never be an elite top 20 midfielder in the comp but that still leaves room for him to be a very good senior AFL player.

JZTIME!

All Australian
Jul 21, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree.

Ben Cunnington didn't rack up a 20 possession game until his 26th attempt. He didn't start to regularly have 20 plus possession games until he had played 45 games at the senior level.

Jack is tracking alright. He may never be an elite top 20 midfielder in the comp but that still leaves room for him to be a very good senior AFL player.
I must be watching a different kid to some others. Yes he needs to get fitter and a little harder at the contest, but i think every time he gets near it he is very clean. Picks it up first attempt and then fires off a handball. Doesn't seem fazed by the pace of the game and vision looks good by hand. I think he could be a really good HFF who rolls up into the stoppages then pushes forward. He sees passes others don't. When we are a little more pro active with our attack and kicking bigger scores, i believe his skillset will shine out even more

Needs to be in vfl working on his craft we had to rush him in last season but this season we can afford him playing vfl for a bit. He's got football smarts but needs to work on execution
He is already Crafty thank you very much. :stern look

Back