Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Still need to earn a game to play.

Mahony hasn't so we give that opportunity to someone else.

And who is the person who decides whether he has earned a game, you or David Noble?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FFS Im sick of the “he’s only 19 give him a chance” sh*t. Every week I see an 18 or 19 year old draftee from an opposition club in their second or third game kicking 3 goals or amassing 30 possessions.

Just face it - I cannot remember the last time that we drafted someone who has excelled early or we have been able to develop into a star.
Tom Powell tread is that way —->

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's not quick, but he's a good decision maker and he's certainly not soft.

He busts a nut every minute he's on the ground from what I've observed.

He's the A-typical, needs 2-3 pre-seasons, needs an additional 40kg on the barbell, needs to shave 30 seconds off his 3km time kid. He's going to have to rely on being strong in the contest and fit to keep up at AFL level, as he doesn't have the ability to get separation.

Which we have a lot of players needing to get fitter and stronger atm.

I think the club were hoping for a Jack Higgins type when he was drafted, i.e not the quickest player, but an ability to rack it up at HF and be damaging in possession.

That hasn't quite worked at this stage.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very early days with Mahoney, but I find it incredibly strange that he got a 2 year extension so early on. He hasn’t exactly set the world on fire and has clear deficiencies in his game. Not to say these deficiencies won’t improve but they were clearly there when he signed the extension. He is a Vic boy and I really couldn’t see rival clubs circling too much. To me he is the type you would wait to the middle part of his second year and decide if he warrants a 1-2 year extension or be moved on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very early days with Mahoney, but I find it incredibly strange that he got a 2 year extension so early on. He hasn’t exactly set the world on fire and has clear deficiencies in his game. Not to say these deficiencies won’t improve but they were clearly there when he signed the extension. He is a Vic boy and I really couldn’t see rival clubs circling too much. To me he is the type you would wait to the middle part of his second year and decide if he warrants a 1-2 year extension or be moved on.

Really??
are we actually knocking a contract extension on a 19 year kid?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really??

Happy to sign the kids, just prefer to do it after more output. I didn’t think it was necessary to do it with still another year to run on his contract. Especially when there are deficiencies in his game. It would have been more logical to extend him mid way through this year or give him a 1 year extension originally.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Happy to sign the kids, just prefer to do it after more output. I didn’t think it was necessary to do it with still another year to run on his contract. Especially when there are deficiencies in his game. It would have been more logical to extend him mid way through this year in my opinion.

Still don’t get it, if you think the kids part of the future, sign them up and move on..
it’s not like we’re complaining about extending a 27 year old playing in the VFL or he’s commanding a million a year.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Still don’t get it, if you think the kids part of the future, sign them up and move on..
it’s not like we’re complaining about extending a 27 year old playing in the VFL or he’s commanding a million a year.

Maybe I am less confident with his future than most. As I have stated he has deficiencies in his game, so why not give him time to improve those areas before locking him in for 2 more years (3 seasons in total).
I have by no means put a line through him and I hope those deficiencies improve. I will back the club in their decision, but I personally would have waited to be more sure he is apart of our future.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Jack has some stuff going for him but the speed metrics don't correlate to performance for mine.

He has never looked quick in the play itself - haven't seen him tear off ball in hand or surge defensively to close down an opponent.

He must be hitting his top speed running to present an option but doesn't look to have the acceleration or variable speed in his play you'd associate with a player who 'looks' quick.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All this time I thought your profile pic was mr bean looking at his watch

Anywho, has anybody else noticed this year and last year quite a few of our highlight plays start with a Mahoney disposal about 8 seconds before the goal?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
All this time I thought your profile pic was mr bean looking at his watch

Anywho, has anybody else noticed this year and last year quite a few of our highlight plays start with a Mahoney disposal about 8 seconds before the goal?

My, you made me look at the pic more closely.

Thanks very much for that..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Play the kids!”

“Nope, not that one”

1617775532565.png

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Really??

I can't believe we gave him the godfather offer, out of everyone.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Had to give it to someone and he won the paper, rock, scissors playoff to secure 5 years x $850k.

He kept going rock and they kept trying to catch him out. Incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back