Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, he might not be any good, but he’s 13 games in so there is absolutely no way of knowing either way yet anyway. Works hard and has had glimpses - I think people are still hung up on the nightmare moments he had two weeks ago. No one worth bringing in over him, so let him have a go to build some consistency and show us what he’s got.

All this time I thought your profile pic was mr bean looking at his watch

Anywho, has anybody else noticed this year and last year quite a few of our highlight plays start with a Mahoney disposal about 8 seconds before the goal?
I love the way players who start scoring chains get no love on this board. Some people must have been strangely excited by that game at kardinia park in 2019.

I love the way players who start scoring chains get no love on this board. Some people must have been strangely excited by that game at kardinia park in 2019.
He's a player that I'd like to see one of those "every possession" videos of for his games. Would be enlightening I think.

But I don't get the calls for players being dropped for form with where we are at.
When developing, you need to reward effort before potential I think. Jack, Kayne, a few of the maligned guys are responsible for some very visible mistakes and that's making them whipping boys. But the thing is they're getting involved and that's setting the right example.

Just had a quick look at AFL stats pro

we’ve got 2 players in the top 100 in the league for score launches
Simpkin @ 12 - 3 per game
Turner@ 97 - 1.7 per game

2 players in the top 160 inthe league for score involvements
Simpkin @ 98 - 5.7 per game
Powell @ 157 - 4.7 per game

mahony ranks 300th in involvements with 2.7 per game (9th at north)
267th with 0.7 launches per game (12th at north)

He's a player that I'd like to see one of those "every possession" videos of for his games. Would be enlightening I think.
You can do that with StatsPro. Just go to the player you're interested in and it will list the games they've played in. Another click and you're there. 5+ second long clips of each involvement.

1617797354267.png

It misses a fair bit, you wont see much in the way of their involvement if they didn't register a disposal or tackle for example.

Thought he had a few moments where he was exceedingly clean below his knees and in traffic. Got to good spots. See you next week Jack
He's still doing a lot right, but forward impact and disposal efficiency just aren't working out for him. It's frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he had a few moments where he was exceedingly clean below his knees and in traffic. Got to good spots. See you next week Jack
Agreed. Had some moments. He is one i think with a full complement would be getting his touch in the vfl and coming into the side with a bit of confidence in his game. Has a bit more time than he thinks at stages, just needs to settle himself and execute like he was known for as a junior

He's the slowest fast player I've ever seen.

Seems to run up and down on the spot and ball taken away with ease. Yet apparently he is quick?

But he wasn't our worst and he tries bloody hard so I'll leave it there.

He’s a Plodder
Essentially was given a role to run all
Over the ground starting on a wing but just doesn’t give us anything

he’s not afl quality. Should have been replaced by Curtis last week
So is he your next Macmillan?

I really do admire his effort and tenacity. Truly.

It's just not enough though.

The amount of times his opponent ran away from him out of a contest or he chased 5 meters behind a Crow with no impact on the disposal...he tries hard but he's just got little in the way of weapons to put the effort to good use.

It says a lot that 2 or 3 clean handballs in traffic have people saying it was a good game, great improvement etc.

He remains a liability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back