Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didn't cover himself with glory today. Getting exposed to more senior footy than suits his needs because of our injuries. Unfortunately he's a lightning rod for criticism from some of the biggest sh*t trucks on here.

Hayden three years older and has been objectively worse than Jack this year but gets nowhere near the scrutiny.

Hayden three years older and has been objectively worse than Jack this year but gets nowhere near the scrutiny.
Yep, but also doesn't get the golden run.

Hayden has played every game he has been fit for this year.
Fair enough I have no oomph to debate, just can't think he offers a lot right now. Two absolute gimme goals at that level and he brackets them like he's a naval gunner. He torched Walker on the wing to hit up Lazarro who was about a foot shorter than his opponent .... Hayden will be off to WA at years end anyway, imo.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One piece of play perfectly summed up Mahony’s limitations. Takes the mark on the wing and the Geelong player chooses to run with the link up option, instead of taking the ground given, which would have drawn the Geelong player or allowed him to break the line, he stands there and then kicks a contested ball to Lazzaro who is a foot shorter than his opponent.

Absolutely brain dead s**t from a player at this level. Blokes playing park footy would have had more idea than Mahony had today.

Not saying he is a bust yet, but that was just gobsmackingly dumb.

This kid hasn’t got any elite attributes, so if he can’t effectively use the pill, I’m not sure what he brings?

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A kid getting AFL games pumped into him before he's ready...

Unfortunately the "play the kids" brigade don't actually like it when the kids get played unless they're prematurely muscle-bound or able to give a couple of highlights a game.

The butchered shots at goal are always going to be a lightning rod for criticism though, momentum killer.

As per Rick18 notes:

Jack Mahony
Given Mahony’s physical attributes, for him to become more than a player between 15-30 on a list, he needs to either be above average in a number of categories or elite in a couple.

For Mahony it looks like his disposal has to be the element which sets him apart, coupled with an ability to cover the ground and be in the right places more often than not.

In the latter two categories, both the eye test and the AFL’s tracking data suggests Mahony has the potential to do so. In four of the first five games, Mahony has ranked in the top five for average speed in attack, which matches what we’re seeing with the 19-year-old seemingly being around the play often. It’s a nice base to work from.

Where everything is falling down at the moment for Mahony is his disposal. He’s had 57 touches for 17 turnovers this year, a rate of 3.35 to 1. To compare that ratio to a handful of Kangaroos who are relied on to create or take distance, keeping in mind the higher the number the better:

Jack Ziebell: 4.47
Jy Simpkin: 5.64
Jaidyn Stephenson: 4.95
Tom Powell: 5.44

This is the type of area which has to be the goal for Mahony if he’s to be more than a fringe player long term.

It’s important to be clear Mahony is far from a lost cause, despite the general level of frustration there seems to be in the outer with his current level of performance. If Mahony wasn’t getting to the spots he’s finding himself in, and instead turning it over with inconsequential possessions in the chain, then there’d be giant worries.

But at this stage, it’s a matter of figuring out how to improve his disposal. Is it with a spell in the VFL ala Bosenavulagi with a clear directive on what to work on? Or does the VFL not allow the same opportunities for someone with Mahony’s role to improve at a quick rate? There’s plenty to consider.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably a lesson learned for Luffy imo.

When picking smal forwards/mids they have to tick two boxes, like Richmonds model.

1. Leg speed above all else
2. Above average disposal.

Mahony looked like he had elite decision making and disposal when he first came to the club. He’s just at rock bottom in terms of confidence imo.

He will never have leg speed.

The above two points is why Richmond didn’t mind losing Jack Highins, as he didn’t pass point one as well as others on their list.

Marksup

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His disposal is an absolute disgrace. There’s no point sugar coating it. He can’t kick the ball over 30m and when he tries to, it is a misguided lob wedge. He can get in the right position and get the ball 68 times for all I care, if he can’t use it what good is that?

It’s nowhere near AFL standard and he shouldn’t play again until it is.

I have thought the same about Kayne Turner’s kicking, he’s just fortunate he’s been able to reinvent himself as a tagger.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably a lesson learned for Luffy imo.

When picking smal forwards/mids they have to tick two boxes, like Richmonds model.

1. Leg speed above all else
2. Above average disposal.

Mahony looked like he had elite decision making and disposal when he first came to the club. He’s just at rock bottom in terms of confidence imo.

He will never have leg speed.

The above two points is why Richmond didn’t mind losing Jack Highins, as he didn’t pass point one as well as others on their list.
Spot on - but was Luff on board for that draft period? can't remember

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His disposal is an absolute disgrace. There’s no point sugar coating it. He can’t kick the ball over 30m and when he tries to, it is a misguided lob wedge. He can get in the right position and get the ball 68 times for all I care, if he can’t use it what good is that?

It’s nowhere near AFL standard and he shouldn’t play again until it is.

I have thought the same about Kayne Turner’s kicking, he’s just fortunate he’s been able to reinvent himself as a tagger.
You share the same criticism of LDU then? He couldnt hit the side of a barn..

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree, he's judged like a JZ or Atley, just ridiculous
I agree, we don't need to be knocking down a teenager and cancelling his career 5 games into a season, but I think it's also objectively clear Jack has got a lot of work to do on his kicking - probably also a confidence thing at the moment. Put him in the 2s and let him rack it up, which I'm pretty sure he will

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree, we don't need to be knocking down a teenager and cancelling his career 5 games into a season, but I think it's also objectively clear Jack has got a lot of work to do on his kicking - probably also a confidence thing at the moment. Put him in the 2s and let him rack it up, which I'm pretty sure he will
PEOPLE NEED TO GET THIS THROUGH THEIR THICK SKULLS. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SCOOBIE DOOS TO REPLACE HIM AND GIVE HIM A SPELL. The only two that did anything from the scoobs was Xerri, Garner and a bloke that isnt listed. FFS you bunch of old moles

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
PEOPLE NEED TO GET THIS THROUGH THEIR THICK SKULLS. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SCOOBIE DOOS TO REPLACE HIM AND GIVE HIM A SPELL. The only two that did anything from the scoobs was Xerri, Garner and a bloke that isnt listed. FFS you bunch of old moles
Yep!!!!!

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
thanks for your informed judgement about what's available at the VFL level after your one attendance via Kayo, I never knew, so I'll bear it mind.

But on the question of selection, depending on who's carrying a knock, two changes will be required for Zurhaar and LDU (Noble said as much in his presser). With Hall out, that means - again, assuming everyone comes up - someone will need to go out, and in my judgement, that would be Mahony. If others pull up proppy, Mahony will get a reprieve, but needs to work on his kicking

Ps: the next VFL game is 1pm at Arden Street vs Frankston. See you there

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
thanks for your informed judgement about what's available at the VFL level after your one attendance via Kayo, I never knew, so I'll bear it mind.

But on the question of selection, depending on who's carrying a knock, two changes will be required for Zurhaar and LDU (Noble said as much in his presser). With Hall out, that means - again, assuming everyone comes up - someone will need to go out, and in my judgement, that would be Mahony. If others pull up proppy, Mahony will get a reprieve, but needs to work on his kicking

Ps: the next VFL game is 1pm at Arden Street vs Frankston. See you there
Taylor comes into the 22. There is your 2

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You’re right. We don’t have the luxury to drop anyone atm

Krakouer Bonar

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack Mahony is a better footballer than any of the slobs that stick the boots into him on this website. He's out there, why arent you!!

sruss

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ranked 10th among rising stars in total tackles.
Ranked 10th among rising stars in marks inside 50.
Ranked 9th among rising stars in tackles inside 50 per game (5th total).
Ranked 10th among rising starts in total clearance (7th in stoppage clearances).
People have earmarked him as a failure and will now only see what they want to see. Didn’t dominate, but is working hard in game FIFTEEN.

Back