Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Running straight and kicking off the instep like that takes skill. Building his confidence to show what he can do

Let's put it this way, if I had tried that when I was playing footy, then I would have dislocated my hip. :D

How far do we think he can actually kick? 45m?

I'd love to see him get the confidence to take shots when he takes marks inside 50m, instead of always taking the short option (which often works, although the pass to garner didn't).

Definitely looks skilled enough to take the responsibility himself and have a shot.

I'd love to see him get the confidence to take shots when he takes marks inside 50m, instead of always taking the short option (which often works, although the pass to garner didn't).

Definitely looks skilled enough to take the responsibility himself and have a shot.

I think he struggles for distance. 45m seems like enough to take the shot from inside the 50 but he's probably aware it might not clear the blokes on the goal line.

I keep coming back to Patch when I see him play. Hard nut, highly rated junior who slipped due to size. Playing that high half forward/mid role, providing an extra around the stoppage, cracking in for 20 odd disposals, heaps of tackles and inside 50 goal assists, and a goal or two each match.

He has the potential to be a very, very good midfielder too IMO. I just think he may be robbed of that opportunity to spend lots of time in there given his age and the players we have coming through.

I think he struggles for distance. 45m seems like enough to take the shot from inside the 50 but he's probably aware it might not clear the blokes on the goal line.

I keep coming back to Patch when I see him play. Hard nut, highly rated junior who slipped due to size. Playing that high half forward/mid role, providing an extra around the stoppage, cracking in for 20 odd disposals, heaps of tackles and inside 50 goal assists, and a goal or two each match.

He has the potential to be a very, very good midfielder too IMO. I just think he may be robbed of that opportunity to spend lots of time in there given his age and the players we have coming through.

I 100% agree, although it looks like his ball use will be a bit better then Patch's.

I've always liked Shane Edwards from Richmond as a player due to his efficiency with the ball and score involvements. I reckon Mahoney has that potential.

I'd still like to see him taking shots when in scoring positions. Surely it will come with time.

This pass..................................

:) :) :)

THAT takes SKILL!

That's ****ing D. Jarman level stuff!!!!

I look forward to him increasingly getting the ball in hand on the outside to be able to use it like this. He was doing this stuff representing Vic Metro playing alongside Rowell and Anderson.
Kid has footy smarts

Get the eff out of our team and into the vfl

turnover, plodder , momentum killing king
If you could drop posters for lack of judgement, persistent vibe killing and an unwillingness to acknowledge good footy from a young player - the BF equivalents of the missed tackles, lack of speed and skill deficiencies you incessantly go on about in others - you would have to take your own advice here and leave BF and join the masses in the twos... Facebook.
Your performance of late would indicate that you’re not up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you could drop posters for lack of judgement, persistent vibe killing and an unwillingness to acknowledge good footy from a young player - the BF equivalents of the missed tackles, lack of speed and skill deficiencies you incessantly go on about in others - you would have to take your own advice here and leave BF and join the masses in the twos... Facebook.
I’d be captain coach of the board

hop on my shoulders while I take us to glory

That rules ..... out too then 👍😁 80522279-D102-4A41-BE16-0852A1016942.gif 22ACD3BE-FAAE-47C0-AD81-07DE65CDB0D2.gif

Not Jack's fault Garner dropped an absolute sitter.

Not Jack's fault Garner dropped an absolute sitter.

I agree with you, although that's not my point.

Players that kick goals from scoring positions are always better. Even more so if they're forwards.

There doesn't look to be much of a reason skill wise why Mahoney can't kick these goals instead of always looking to pass it off, which he needs to add to his game in my opinion.

The good news is that it looks like his confidence is growing every week, so it will come.

Not been critical, just objective.

I agree with you, although that's not my point.

Players that kick goals from scoring positions are always better. Even more so if they're forwards.

There doesn't look to be much of a reason skill wise why Mahoney can't kick these goals instead of always looking to pass it off, which he needs to add to his game in my opinion.

The good news is that it looks like his confidence is growing every week, so it will come.

Not been critical, just objective.
Its just goal sense. Some players just have a fantastic spatial awareness of where the goals are and as the play develops and players are moving the ones with great goal sense always know where the goals are relative to where they are located which makes it just a case of executing the kick to score. Some are not even that athletic. I played with a bloke who's nickname was pies (he did enjoy eating them rather than barracking for them) and was well over 100kg at the time but when he picked it up clean and in range routinely slotted it.

Oo this is a high stakes game of big footy is it!?

Just focus on putting something on the table yourself.

If you disagree, state why you disagree, and if you suggest it's because of Mitchell's overall career, and not trait similarities, then you have missed the point by light years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back