Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He still needs to work on that quick of the mark step. I don’t think he’ll end up being a pressure forward, but playing afl, in that position, he needs needs to work on his speed, otherwise he’ll end up being another Hrovat, and that isn’t a knock on Hrovat, as he was a very good player in his own right.
but in the end there was no point of difference.

Eh. We all know my opinion on Hrovat. He was always an inside mid (dubbed the 'clearance king' in his draft year for a reason) who we tried to transform into that predominantly forward role. It didn't suit him and never would have. Mahony on the other hand appears to have grown up playing this role.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Eh. We all know my opinion on Hrovat. He was always an inside mid (dubbed the 'clearance king' in his draft year for a reason) who we tried to transform into that predominantly forward role. It didn't suit him and never would have. Mahony on the other hand appears to have grown up playing this role.
We didn’t do it, the bulldogs did it because they had another 20 players playing that same role. Absolutely we need more smart/skillful footballers in the team.
and I’m not saying he doesn’t need to add a step of pace as I want him to fail. Im saying it because I believe he could become elite if he works on that area.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Size and pace are against him at the moment, but he's 18 years and 8 months of age and has shown definite glimpses of AFL football capability already.

Don't go too early on yet another one folks. Don't get caught in the next installment of the IWTEOH posse.

Here's one from left field, I reckon he has the basic traits to be a decent centre square midfielder one day, provided he picks up a few more cms, and you can tell by his frame that he will add the requisite muscle in time.

Don't forget that Sam Mitchell was 179cms & 81kgs when he was overlooked for 74 other players in the 2000 draft.

Size and pace are against him at the moment, but he's 18 years and 8 months of age and has shown definite glimpses of AFL football capability already.

Don't go too early on yet another one folks. Don't get caught in the next installment of the IWTEOH posse.

Here's one from left field, I reckon he has the basic traits to be a decent centre square midfielder one day, provided he picks up a few more cms, and you can tell by his frame that he will add the requisite muscle in time.

Don't forget that Sam Mitchell was 179cms & 81kgs when he was overlooked for 74 other players in the 2000 draft.

Another Sam Mitchell would be nice.

I'm not sure many are writing him off (perhaps a couple of the usual clowns, but nothing new there), however I think he needs to do his developing out of the team for the foreseeable future.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The absolute large majority of players are completely shithouse in their first year. There's a few outliers each year, but the majority struggle to make an impact. If Turner or Garner were healthy than Mahony would likely only have played 1-2 games this year at most and we wouldn't be exposing him so much when he wasn't ready.

I can understand why people make the Hrovat comparisons, but people are forgetting that Hrovat was also a poor user of the footy. He was a smart footballer and could pick out the right options, but was just another poor kick in a side that had too many. If his skills were better then he absolutely would have made a decent career for himself.

I haven't seen enough with Mahony to make a call either way, but he looks like a natural footballer who makes good decisions and has a crack. If he can become a more physical Nathan Hrovat with better skills then that's a huge win.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

I must have missed something - what's the acronym?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Agree with pretty much everything in this comment. He is the youngest guy on an AFL list in the country right now. In a normal season where we had a VFL team and weren't completely stuffed by injury he may not have played a senior game yet. As it is he has had exposure to understand the pace and physicality of AFL football which will stand him in good stead.

BTRAIN2

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can see him overthinking at the moment and not really backing himself in. Understandable as he is inexperienced and finding his feet at a level above his capabilities right now.
I think he will be a player though. You don’t have to be super fast just because you’re short. He’s not that short anyway and he will gain another two or three cm

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Clear as day there's a player in this one, finding his feet in an unconventional season.

He's going to fill into the Papley size which there's no doubt he was drafted to do so. What he does in a year or so is up to him. Was well and truly doing the job as a junior though.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I reckon he’s a chance to kick a couple today.

If we can get a bit more ascendancy in the midfield, compete and bring to ground with quick deep entries, his hard work should pay off.

That’s my early call for the day.

I will be over the moon if he can get a couple on Rory Laird.

1596245642961.png

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
I have been critical of our drafting of Jack. I reckon I was wrong. Watched him as close as I could given it was on TV and I saw some really, really good efforts and second efforts from the kid today. He may just end up one of my favourites. Gee I miss seeing games live.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back