Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

I’d argue he isn’t one paced, not lightning but quick enough. kicking distance I’ll give you that but surely you can see the footy brain, tackling, hands, repeat efforts.
Not lightning is also another way of saying one paced

the other aspects you mention are all well and good but don’t require special talent other than footy iq.

He plays a role but I’d like to see Ford or Lazzaro or others play and see whether we get a greater net gain as a team

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

the other aspects you mention are all well and good but don’t require special talent other than footy iq.

He plays a role but I’d like to see Ford or Lazzaro or others play and see whether we get a greater net gain as a team
Being able to consistently apply pressure with repeat efforts clearly IS a special talent, or else almost everyone on the field would be doing it.

You can talk all you want about him not having any great attributes, but personally I think his fearless mindset, willingness to throw his body into the contest, ability to spring up and apply pressure after going to ground, and his running capacity are all good or better attributes. I think he's clearly shown glimpses of great football smarts and clean skills too, and I'd expect those glimpses to become more pronounced as his body matures and he gets more experience.

He's far from a finished product, but I think the amount of effort he expends on and off the field belies someone who takes their career more seriously than most players his age and that is an exceptionally good thing.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If there was a continuum of pace and lightning represented one end of that continuum, then 'not lightning' would represent literally anywhere else on it. So no, not code for 'one paced.' He has pace, and has a crack.

At risk of creating an echo chamber, youve replaced Jmac with a 19 year old, your schtick is tiresome and repetitive. Have a spell.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Being able to consistently apply pressure with repeat efforts clearly IS a special talent, or else almost everyone on the field would be doing it.

You can talk all you want about him not having any great attributes, but personally I think his fearless mindset, willingness to throw his body into the contest, ability to spring up and apply pressure after going to ground, and his running capacity are all good or better attributes. I think he's clearly shown glimpses of great football smarts and clean skills too, and I'd expect those glimpses to become more pronounced as his body matures and he gets more experience.

He's far from a finished product, but I think the amount of effort he expends on and off the field belies someone who takes their career more seriously than most players his age and that is an exceptionally good thing.
I would add that his game is trending in very much in a positive direction. I think I'm the only person on this form who openly admits they didn't rate Boomer Harvey in his first season - but I accept that over time, he improved and earned his place in history, not only for the number of games, but for his skill and tenacity.

I also think Mahoney had been playing a role but as he's been freed up more and more he is having influence. I think you can see it in his team mates that they are happy with what he does.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers

Mate you bag this bloke and Bailey yet you revel in naming B-grade castoffs from every other club that could be great for us to target in the offseason.. get off BF and get on the Comedy Circuit you’re missing your prime..

I know I’ve banged on about this before, but it is clear his efforts frequently lead to other teammates getting possessions and scoring involvements, instead of it spitting out the other way.
There aren’t stats for that, yet, but it is a vast improvement for us. As he gets more games under his belt he’ll start getting more of those possessions himself and keep the stats obsessed happy.

hundini

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2002
Switzerland
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A small forward that is one paced and can’t kick over 35m doesn’t get me excited
The knock on that he did in the first quarter was excellent. It’s the first time I’ve seen a North player do it. The top teams are adept at it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes. And wears the hit in the process. Plays football in the right (Shinboner) spirit. For the jumper, not stats or ego.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

mate it’s ok to be wrong, hell I thought Devon Smith was going to be a Brownlow Medal winner when he first started

just because he isn’t lightning quick doesn’t mean he’s one paced at all. He covers ground well.

the footy iq has directly led to goals for the club.

If everyone can do the pressure acts why doesn’t everyone do it?

he’s not a X factor type small forward he is almost like and “inside” type of small forward.It’s his role and he does it bloody well.

I think Ford could be the X factor forward your talking about but that shouldn’t be at mahoneys expense.

Lazaro in my opinion will also offer plenty but in a different role. I think his direct competition is Bailey Scott potentially atley.

I’m not over exaggerating by saying it’s unlikely we win without him last night

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His pressure is excellent & definitely something to get excited about.

But for me, the thing that gets me really excited about Jack, is how clean he is. He's a one touch footballer (TZ wouldn't understand the value in this attribute).

That play with Phillips which lead to a (Larkey?) goal, was seriously mint.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve done a 180 on the kid. You look at a North scoring shot these days and most have him in it at some point.

Not sure what his scope for development is longer term but he’s been very impressive this year.
This. Always at the scene of the crime and involved in some way. His repeat efforts are inspirational. You can see that it fires up his teammates. Iron Jack.

sruss

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is irrelevant and they’re totally different players but others might be as amused as I was to discover that our Jack is averaging better than Nick Blakey at:
Goals
Goal assists
Score involvements
Tackles
Disposals (both contested and uncontested)
Marks inside 50
Clearances
AFL fantasy points
We can use this to infer that - not only is our Jack going okay - but that Blakey is an overrated spud

Back