Senior 1. Jack Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Now he he getting the build and the fitness he can start to show more influence. Doesn't often get done in one on ones. Great vision and his smarts, dare I say, gives him a bit of X factor.

He's also as bottom age a player can be in his draft year too along with Harry right?

Carried a serious shoulder injury his second year, probably from carrying the weight of othere expectations. But he was absolutely phenomenal yesterday, he does the little things well, gets a fist in when the opposition should easily have marked it, he tackles, he attacks the footy and he looks to bring others into the game even when he hasn't had a stack of touches.

Those things you can't teach, kid will be just fine for us.

For me he’s cemented for the remainder of the season barring injury. He will only continue to improve at AFL grade. Even his marking is slowly improving. You can see early in games it’s better (although I thought he had more than a single mark yesterday?) then as he tires as the game wears on he loses a bit of the strength to clunk the ball. Another pre season into the shoulders and arm muscles will improve that.

Outside that his work rate and desire is unquestionable. His focus on forward pressure is great for someone who has no genuine speed. I can’t see him having a starting position outside forward pocket or half back flank but you need good contributors in those spots.

He’ll play many roles for us going forward I think. Floating between high half forward and the stoppages. Even deep forward to use his goal sense. What I love is how he brings other blokes into the play consistently.

AR and a few weeks building confidence in the 2s seem to have done wonders.

Might be jumping the gun but I think we’ll be seeing a lot of little Carlton fans with the #1 on their guernsey like I and so many others had in the 90s.

(Especially girls. The man’s a dreamboat)
Stocker is a Dream Yatch

True, I should have been more stringent in saying that specific draft year.

Actually you did imply it when I do re-read. Sorry for missing it. Jack's a gem. always thought the doubters just wearing wrong goggles. All he needed was to be allowed to play one of his roles and now he is. Still find it strange he only attended one centre bounce that I noticed in last two weeks but least they using his forward craft better now.

To the muppets who spent 4 quarters getting stuck in JSOS at the footy last week, you've got no idea. Not the most gifted player in the world, but you know what you're gonna get from Jack. A poor 2018 where he was very unfairly maligned (how many other pick 50-somethings have their game so critically assessed in their 3rd year of footy?) and bereft of confidence. Looks to have had a good preseason in the gym, less pressure on him and he's finally got some self-belief back. Very happy for him, still not sure where he fits in long term but he won't leave any stone unturned in getting the best out of himself.

Jack has been good all year, and was outstanding today - particularly in the first half.

We know he has limitations and I'm still not certain where he fits long term, but there's no doubting he's an unconditional footballer. Gives everything he's got every time he takes the field.

Can seriously play and is a bloody smart footballer to boot, always finds himself in the right spot at the right time.
I’d say he’s shown enough to suggest he’s definitely predominantly a forward.

His intent and desire are just what we are looking for in the forward zone.
It should be an example of application the other forwards need to apply.
If they did we would not see the easy rebounds by opposition defenses that we have seen to date.
That hand in to disrupt a collingwood mark in the last quarter was the stuff he does, he does not make it easy for defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the players from that age bracket that has elevated his game. Clearly stronger this year especially as a December born recruit and will only get tougher. Last year we debated whether at 191cm he was too tall to be a high pressure forward but too small to be a KPP. Yesterday he put immense pressure on the ground balls as well as when the Pies tried to transfer play and halved contests in the air that most players wouldnt have had the smarts to do. Seems to have rediscovered the speed and desperation that had us all excited in year 1. I am from Perth but was at the G yesterday and he was a real stand out for me. The thoughts start to shift not to whether he is a player thats not quite tall enough or quick enough but rather someone that can do both those things very well and thatd be a massive enhancement to our list if we get a player who has both those attributes. Started the year thinking it was make or break for him and after yesterday hes definitely upward trending. Great to see.

To the muppets who spent 4 quarters getting stuck in JSOS at the footy last week, you've got no idea. Not the most gifted player in the world, but you know what you're gonna get from Jack. A poor 2018 where he was very unfairly maligned (how many other pick 50-somethings have their game so critically assessed in their 3rd year of footy?) and bereft of confidence. Looks to have had a good preseason in the gym, less pressure on him and he's finally got some self-belief back. Very happy for him, still not sure where he fits in long term but he won't leave any stone unturned in getting the best out of himself.
I simply do not get the critisim. He is far and away one of the best ball readers in our team, instinctually knows where to play and what to do. Has a footy brain way above his age, yet gets shouted down for making the odd howler. At least he backs himself. There are others I would drop before JSOS.

Played well yesterday. I think he is on his way to cementing a best 22 position...the signs are very positive.

He has the smarts and skills so basically more about improving his physical attributes.....more bulk, strength and explosiveness...will become an A grade footballer I think...he looks committed

He’s an AA quality defender in waiting this kid.

Trust me. You read it here first. He showed again yesterday he has that weird habit his dad had of getting to contests he shouldn’t. Super smart.

Can’t wait to see him down back for a long block.

Id argue jack and cripps have the highest footy iq of our playing group. Jsos will be a out n out gun.

Very pleasing progress being made on all fronts- if he could be a better mark and set shot kick - he'd be scoring high in the B&F internal polling.

had to earn his spot in the 2's this year which was great. I don't hear anyone shouting nepotism now...

at the very least Jack is a wonderful tool for the coaches to keep others out of the side with... "chase like Jack and you'll get a game son..."

I suspect with his smarts he will make it as a utility. Go forward, go back, go through the middle. Pretty handy to have that bloke on the bench who can cover an injury at any position on the ground (excluding ruck perhaps)

the black boots say it all!

He’s an AA quality defender in waiting this kid.

Trust me. You read it here first. He showed again yesterday he has that weird habit his dad had of getting to contests he shouldn’t. Super smart.

Can’t wait to see him down back for a long block.

I dont think he will play back as he lacks speed off the mark.

However, dead right that yesterday he made a couple of contests that were a spitting image of his dad.

Best game for the club - reckon he will grow plenty from this game.

Hasn't cemented it for me but has certainly shown his worth and ability. Just needs to keep working and putting in each week. Just great seeing a Silvagni out there
Strength and fitness base has helped, playing him through the NB's midfield which has no doubt helped him develop his all round game particularly in contested one on one situations another kid who looks like he's starting to feel more comfortable out there, good footy smarts...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back