Past James Rose - delisted 2019

Hewett is a fair way back in the pecking order, don't see him playing and gone end of the year. Onto Rose, good effort, and that photo would suggest he could carry a bit more muscle eventually. Gotta feeling about this guy.
The power of hindsight ey Jellsy? :p

TripleB

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
at the time we still had Mitchell running around, and no Hayward on the radar. My position was somewhat defensible, in the end untenable.

You can be forgiven for the Rose call, he looked to most of us like he could make it as a livewire small forward.

Not as easy to forgive the Hewett call, always looked like he had what it takes to me, great off either side of his body, finds it in traffic and as good a set shot from within 40m as there is in the club.

Hard to see him coming back in unless he dominates the NEAFL and we have injuries to Rohan/Hayward. Had hopes for him after a patch of games last year where he showed some signs of belonging at senior level.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The club obviously had the same faith and interest a few of the board (myself included) had in him getting a second contract of 2 years. I think between Papley and Hayward as well as mids who can rest forward in Dawson Hewett Heeney and Parker he's going to find it hard to force his way in.

I still think he could be a pretty decent role player, I wouldn't be surprised if another club picks him up even if I can't imagine who it would be. He's south australian so I guess I can throw in the obligatory Adelaide or Port punt?

He seems pretty keen on being a business blablabla, so maybe he'll stick around sydney and play with Uni a la X Richards.

I love watching James Rose (in NEAFL) run around the forward line - he is always on the move - at times. I wish him all the best.

Rose has shown he can do some real flashy stuff in the NEAFL, but there doesn't seem to be much else to him as a player. it's one thing to do that in the reserves, and a whole different ball game at the top level. Only the most elite can get away with that kind of play in the seniors. The disparity between Rose's reserves form and what he's shown in the senior side is just too much to suggest he could be elite enough at senior level.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He could be a decent role player... just not with us, we have too much depth.

He probably holds value to other teams so I think we'll get something for him. Not much mind you but still if the value can be deferred into the future it's worth something a bit more to us. Our 3rd or 4th this year for another teams 3rd or 4th next year.

Last chance for him surely, if he doesn't perform he is one of the first delisted.
9 disposals and a goal, plus occasionally running fast - that is the minimum standard for a spot in our long term forward line.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Deserved! And why wouldn't it be? Let's face it, he's been equally, if not better than Cameron according to votes and opinions and yet you're all calling for the messiah to the ruck division to play! You all should know that it's a midfielders game, not a ruckman's...good on him!

Rose's stats in the NEAFL this year

Averaging
13.0 kicks
7.6 handballs
20.6 disposals
4.8 marks
3.5 tackles
4.4 inside 50s
1.2 rebound 50s
2.5 clearances

Total
8 games
16 goals
13 behinds

Particularly good in the last 3 matches (named in the best players all 3 games)
28.0 disposals 6.3 marks 4.0 tackles 5.7 inside 50s 1.3 rebound 50s
6 goals 10 behinds

Last year
Averaging
13.5 kicks
8.0 handballs
21.5 disposals
5.6 marks
2.4 tackles
3.6 inside 50s
0.8 rebound 50s
2.2 clearances