CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Will miss Jesse and hope he has a great career at Freo, I think we will look back at this deal and be pretty happy with it!
May genuinely makes us a much stronger team, having another leader around will be a huge bonus as well.

I suspect it will still be a tough being a forward at Freo again next year but as they add a few more pieces and their younger kids get better I think Jesse will really step up! I have no doubt he will win a coleman at some stage in his career.

He was always going to go home at some stage, we knew it and Freo knew it. Now was the time to let him go and focus on locking in our best 22 for the next 5 years and hopefully finally win a flag!

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
But Boyd is a good case in point - they paid him a King's ransom, and he played a handful of good games, one of which was a Premiership, but they aren't getting anything out of him now, and he's a million dollar a year player
I've posted this so often. That Boyd deal was just bizarre. I assume it had something to do with the Dogs needing to pay someone to fill their cap or something.

He literally played a handful of decent games. The rest was spent running around being decidedly ordinary in the VFL and being outbodied by Nev Jetta in the AFL. But people still call that trade a success because the Dogs won a flag, even though he played the most of that season in the 2s and really was only brought in due to the 567 injuries they had if I recall correctly. They really had an asbolute fairy tale month, that club. Spurred on by some AFL-sanctioned umpiring to help them with all their throwing as that was deemed how footy should be played in 2016.

I was watching (stupidly) the end of the trade period thing on Fox the other night and not even Johnno had him in their 22. For a million a year, he's not even on their bench. What a time to be alive.

I suppose what bugs me most about Hogan, is ******* Freo supporters where right after all these years. Early on it was thought he'd return home, Then there was that stupid old Insta photo, Signs a contract extension and still they don't go away. They where always confident on getting him to return to WA, but especially to them. West Coast was hardly mentioned.

despite the setbacks like the extension they where always confident on getting him. And that really shits me, because they where right

Can we do something about this pretty quick-smart?

upload_2018-10-18_12-37-34.png

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do we have any moody players left now?

I always found it hard to love Jesse because of the way he got shitty and dropped his head on the field.

Do we have any moody players left now?

I always found it hard to love Jesse because of the way he got shitty and dropped his head on the field.
Garlett

Yes, but isn't it possible that Freo just didn't think it was worth it to give up more for him? And isn't it possible that they'd be right?

I don't think comparing this trade to other specific trades is especially helpful. The circumstances are always very unique - and maybe clubs are starting to wise up on overpaying for hyped up players. Maybe this is at the start of not betting the farm on players like Hogan. Let's also not forget that he has a suspect foot, and an injury plagued history in general. Before Boyd was traded to the Bulldogs, I don't recall him having an injury cloud over him, much less the dreaded navicular injury. But Boyd is a good case in point - they paid him a King's ransom, and he played a handful of good games, one of which was a Premiership, but they aren't getting anything out of him now, and he's a million dollar a year player. Maybe Hogan would have attracted a better offer if he'd been playing to the end of the season, but he wasn't. I don't think we can expect much more than what we got. I, for one, have a feeling he's going to have a pretty average career. Some highlights, but not a champion. I doubt he'll ever kick large bags goals.

Yes, but isn't it possible that Freo just didn't think it was worth it to give up more for him? And isn't it possible that they'd be right?

I don't think comparing this trade to other specific trades is especially helpful. The circumstances are always very unique - and maybe clubs are starting to wise up on overpaying for hyped up players. Maybe this is at the start of not betting the farm on players like Hogan. Let's also not forget that he has a suspect foot, and an injury plagued history in general. Before Boyd was traded to the Bulldogs, I don't recall him having an injury cloud over him, much less the dreaded navicular injury. But Boyd is a good case in point - they paid him a King's ransom, and he played a handful of good games, one of which was a Premiership, but they aren't getting anything out of him now, and he's a million dollar a year player. Maybe Hogan would have attracted a better offer if he'd been playing to the end of the season, but he wasn't. I don't think we can expect much more than what we got. I, for one, have a feeling he's going to have a pretty average career. Some highlights, but not a champion. I doubt he'll ever kick large bags goals.

yet they gave him a $1m+ a year long term contract.

You dont offer that up for a plYer you dont think is worth alot.

We blinked first. Probably because we were cocky and had assured May he would be a Melbourne player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Undertaker

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2003
South Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Man U & Greenbay Packers
Congratulations on the Draft, hard decision to let Hogan go but in the end you guys did well in getting May. Your club has made the right call in chasing May he will make you a better team. Love what you did this year pity you could not get over the scum next door good luck in 2019.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
End of an era. Ive had that Hogan avatar ever since Hulk Hogan came to the MFC and flexed with Jesse.

Oh well. Nev tackling Duckwood so hard that snot flew out of his nose will now take its place.

Adios Jesse.
It’s a very classy new avatar. It feels a bit like you have finally discarded the relatively expensive, eye-catching, never quite comfortable pair of shoes and pulled on a great, classic pair that feel genuinely great walking around in.

Eww. No. Put it back.

Stahp.

I also get beauties from the boo-ers as well.

I'm sure Gold Coast were surprised to find out their player turned out for the Eagles earlier in the season:

Ah Chee.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back