Status
Not open for further replies.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of course you wouldn’t. A mercenary is someone who values money over ethics - or alternatively in the military it’s a soldier for hire. Neither fit. Ando just never liked him much which is fine.
Well, it wasn't very ethical to pretend like he was committed to the Dees when he was always planning to leave for another team. And he is a soldier for hire in the sense that he dropped us like a hot potato when the opportunity came along. And yeah, I never liked him much...so it's more than fine for me that I don't have to watch his sulky face anymore. :D

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Well, it wasn't very ethical to pretend like he was committed to the Dees when he was always planning to leave for another team. And he is a soldier for hire in the sense that he dropped us like a hot potato when the opportunity came along. And yeah, I never liked him much...so it's more than fine for me that I don't have to watch his sulky face anymore. :D
I think we’re going to amicably disagree on this one. But preferably with a macho nod and a grunt and firm handshake. I will even go one of those awkward hug motions, half body, with som backslaps which indicates a comradely gesture and nothing more intimate.

Whaddia say?

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I think we’re going to amicably disagree on this one. But preferably with a macho nod and a grunt and firm handshake. I will even go one of those awkward hug motions, half body, with som backslaps which indicates a comradely gesture and nothing more intimate.

Whaddia say?
Sounds like a bit of seppo bullshit the West Indies have introduced ...

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He’s going to, and was always only willing to go to, the team that he grew up supporting. I think he loves footy and he’ll love playing for Freo. But he’s probably not the most professional player rolling around in the AFL, he’s a natural talent so far.

So I think injury permitting, his best years are still ahead of him as he matures. Sucks to lose him, but we at least filled a big gap with a very good player.

Didn't we already sort out he was a bloody crows supporter not Dockers?

I hope he starts partying mid season and gets busted partying outside nightclubs with hookers an durries for all.

Think after removing watts from the side last year, it's not hard to come to the conclusion Goody doesn't rate Hogans desire to be the best either.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

I hope he starts partying mid season and gets busted partying outside nightclubs with hookers an durries for all.

Think after removing watts from the side last year, it's not hard to come to the conclusion Goody doesn't rate Hogans desire to be the best either.
If Goody only keeps players who want to be there, I can live with that. I know not everyone can be Chompers, but they bloody well should dream of it.

OMG the poor bugger!!!

Dp1_kQJV4AAAe6l.jpg

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
OMG the poor bugger!!!

Dp1_kQJV4AAAe6l.jpg
it was at this moment Jesse Hogan realised he'd made a terrible mistake.

Wish him all the best in his personal life, but can't say the same for his playing career. He chose to leave, regardless of whether or not he had good reason, if you're not with us your against us and he can GAGF.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

No idea where you got that from. He’s always been a dockers fan.

Comparing Hogan’s exit to Watts’ is pretty ridiculous.

SuburbanMe

Premiership Player
Feb 23, 2010
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB
come on guys, it was always going to happen. No use pretending it wasn't. Personally, I thought it'd happen next year, but eh - atleast its over and done. Our Backline is gonna be pretty tough as a result too. Mahoney knew what he was doing.

Good luck to Jesse. On we move.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
it's not hard to come to the conclusion Goody doesn't rate Hogans desire to be the best either.
The conclusion I came to is Goody read all the MFC gameday threads that pointed out how we function better without him and consequently gave him the arse.

So commited he turned up unfit to pre season training an was punished.
Agreed on that. Watts had become complacent after finally finding his groove in 2016, came back tossing away the hard work that got him to where he was. A lazy attitude of thinking i am where i am, not how can i get even better.

My assumption would be it doesn't matter if you love the club or not, you cannot be allowed to get complacent in a Goodwin team. This is Goody's team now, you don't break the threshold you're out. Doesn't matter how long you've been here or how much you love the group or the club itself.

However Watts and Hogan are different kettles of fish

To be a mercenary doesn't mean you will only go with the highest pay. I mean footy is a job for him, he doesn't look passionate as a player. He's in it for the money - money oriented career, that sort of mercenary. Doesn't mean he doesn't care about anything else in life - he obviously cares about being home in WA and being with his friends and family. He's just a footy mercenary - not a sociopath.
A mercenary is someone who prioritises cash over ethics. He was clearly not fiercely loyal to Melbourne and wasn't going to wait a year to try and win a flag, so his priorities are probably a bit different to most footballers, but mercenaries are inherently defined by chasing money.

This quote interests me:

“Having other things on my mind probably started to affect my performance and my general wellbeing to the point where I started to venture into what might be best for me on and off the field.”

I'm not really sure where Topkent and a few others get the idea that he wasn't committed to his preparation, particularly in light of the improvements to his aerobic capacity in 17/18, but it does sound like he dropped the ball in a big way for a lot of 2018. Once his form fell off a cliff, it seems pretty clear he wasn't too focussed on getting back into it. I suspect once he's a year into his time at Freo, we'll see the same manic competitor we saw when he broke onto the scene with that strut inside the F50.

The fact that he was clearly never going to be motivated in r&b anymore means the club simply had to trade him.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
A mercenary is someone who prioritises cash over ethics. He was clearly not fiercely loyal to Melbourne and wasn't going to wait a year to try and win a flag, so his priorities are probably a bit different to most footballers, but mercenaries are inherently defined by chasing money.

This quote interests me:

“Having other things on my mind probably started to affect my performance and my general wellbeing to the point where I started to venture into what might be best for me on and off the field.”

I'm not really sure where Topkent and a few others get the idea that he wasn't committed to his preparation, particularly in light of the improvements to his aerobic capacity in 17/18, but it does sound like he dropped the ball in a big way for a lot of 2018. Once his form fell off a cliff, it seems pretty clear he wasn't too focussed on getting back into it. I suspect once he's a year into his time at Freo, we'll see the same manic competitor we saw when he broke onto the scene with that strut inside the F50.

The fact that he was clearly never going to be motivated in r&b anymore means the club simply had to trade him.

See now you are changing your tone, you and a few others were certain he would be a star for Melbourne sooner or later and now 'its clear he was never going to be motivated for us'
That's the same thing me an Ando727 an schmuttt Cannon82 etc have been saying all along.

I don't know how much training he and Watts did, how would I? But I don't ever remember an article on him in the 5 years about how he was putting in extra at training like Jones or Gawn or Viney or Oliver or Brayshaw etc.

Of course he turned up to training and ticked the boxes but that doesn't cut it in a Goodwin system evidently.

He was a better forward as a 19 year old than as a 23 year old. I could care less what he does at Fremantle as he was never likely to do that at Melbourne

See now you are changing your tone, you and a few others were certain he would be a star for Melbourne sooner or later and now 'its clear he was never going to be motivated for us'
That's the same thing me an Ando727 an schmuttt Cannon82 etc have been saying all along.

I don't know how much training he and Watts did, how would I? But I don't ever remember an article on him in the 5 years about how he was putting in extra at training like Jones or Gawn or Viney or Oliver or Brayshaw etc.

Of course he turned up to training and ticked the boxes but that doesn't cut it in a Goodwin system evidently.

He was a better forward as a 19 year old than as a 23 year old. I could care less what he does at Fremantle as he was never likely to do that at Melbourne
I'm changing my tune in light of his quotes about how he'd been feeling over the past few months, and broadly speaking since his dad died. Not an unreasonable thing to do? He will be a superstar at Fremantle now that he's home, just wasn't to be at Melbourne.

https://outline.com/nzAPD7

From The Australian, courtesy of a five minute Google search.

"He’s a young player with enormous talent and to get Jesse on board and committed to the footy club was fantastic,” Goodwin said yesterday on SEN.

“But most importantly, the way he’s come back into training on Monday, he’s run a personal best time, he’s come back with his body in elite condition and he’s setting himself for a really strong season.”

The club was also emphatic he would be a Melbourne player for his career a month before we traded him

When? The message has always been that we don't want to let him go but will do what is best for him. Hogan's manager said after the trade was completed that he would have stayed if the Dees were based in Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back