Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'm changing my tune in light of his quotes about how he'd been feeling over the past few months, and broadly speaking since his dad died. Not an unreasonable thing to do? He will be a superstar at Fremantle now that he's home, just wasn't to be at Melbourne.

https://outline.com/nzAPD7

From The Australian, courtesy of a five minute Google search.

"He’s a young player with enormous talent and to get Jesse on board and committed to the footy club was fantastic,” Goodwin said yesterday on SEN.

“But most importantly, the way he’s come back into training on Monday, he’s run a personal best time, he’s come back with his body in elite condition and he’s setting himself for a really strong season.”

When? The message has always been that we don't want to let him go but will do what is best for him. Hogan's manager said after the trade was completed that he would have stayed if the Dees were based in Perth.

Was that the same amount of research you put into Steven Mays fake match up on Hogan?

Changing your tune in like with what myself and a few others have been saying for a while and originally abused, then disagreed and then mostly accepted.

Goodwin went on Fox footy and couldnt have been more emphatic he was staying. If you wanna YouTube it an watch it be my guest.

I don't care about his training habits, a tangent away from my point. I never thought he was unfit, but he never put in enough effort game day. He didn't make enough contests and didn't chase and tackle ever. In fact when he did tackle the board would celebrate such was the rarity and actually pat him on the back. He wasn't commited to the club and I wasn't commited to him as a fan. Don't care he's gone

Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo fan here, I’ve got some questions for you regarding Jesse Hogan.

I watched his highlight video of all his goals in 2018. A lot of them are deep 1 on 1’s, he won’t be getting those kind of situations at Fremantle as frequently.

How does he play in general leading up/taking pack marks on the wing because our key forwards don’t actually play inside 50, they roam to half back and people wonder why we can’t score.

Ross Lyon football, I don’t want to explain but anyways, Hogan won’t be as good as people are making him out to be.

I watched a May highlight video after the Hogan video and WTF I want that bloke, he loves crunching people. No one stands a chance within vicinity of May, he’ll piledriver you into the ground harder than he piledrives his missus on their wedding night.

Good luck in 2019, assuming you guys go deeper than Freo, I will be cheering yous on❤️

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I watched his highlight video of all his goals in 2018. A lot of them are deep 1 on 1’s, he won’t be getting those kind of situations at Fremantle as frequently.

How does he play in general leading up/taking pack marks on the wing because our key forwards don’t actually play inside 50, they roam to half back and people wonder why we can’t score.

Ross Lyon football, I don’t want to explain but anyways, Hogan won’t be as good as people are making him out to be.

I watched a May highlight video after the Hogan video and WTF I want that bloke, he loves crunching people. No one stands a chance within vicinity of May, he’ll piledriver you into the ground harder than he piledrives his missus on their wedding night.

Good luck in 2019, assuming you guys go deeper than Freo, I will be cheering yous on❤️
Don’t believe some of the write downs he is getting at the moment on this board, we are just going through a phase of distancing one who was once dear to our hearts, he will be an exceptional player for you guys.

For a guy his size, Hogan has exceptional aerobic capacity, and therefore would be well suited to a game plan that requires forwards to roam the length of the ground. Don’t worry if he gets the ball on the wing or on the flanks, he is a very smart user of the ball so will hit up a target for you further up the ground, or at least maintain possession. It wouldn’t surprise me if Lyon has had you guys playing this style with the knowledge of Hogan’s impending arrival. Hogan idolised Nick Riewoldt growing up so to be able to assume a similar role in a Ross Lyon team would hold appeal for him.

He is a massive upgrade on any of your current forwards but since he will get most of the attention from opposition defenders, it could allow guys like McCarthy and Kersten to get a new lease on life. Compared to May for us, he is a bigger get for you guys, since he has the capacity to completely transform your forward line and since he is so young will play for a decade, while we’ll be getting about 5 years out of May.

There’s no real way to avoid the fact that losing Hogan hurts us. We just mitigated the damage somewhat picking up May, which balances up our list a bit, although you could argue that we’ve gone from too many key forwards to too many key defenders. And this puts a lot of importance for us on Weidemann becoming a really consistent dangerous forward.

But back on Hogan, it is obvious that since his debut season he has been/ was struggling with things being so far away from his family while his father’s health declined. This sort of thing would cause distress for any young man as it did for Hogan, and it’s certainly no reflection of poor character for it to have affected him greatly. His season for us in 2015 was phenomenal not just because it was his first season, but because our team was really s**t then. Since then he has only really shown glimmers of his potential, which has been frustrating for us dees supporters since he is capable of so much more. But heading home now gives him the opportunity to get his head and body right and develop continuity in his performance which he has lacked since his debut season. He has always been good, but the injuries and emotional distress has hampered him from becoming great. Even in a half decent team, if he puts it all together he will become unstoppable and could well become the best forward in the league. Which makes him well worth the price of picks 6 and 23.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Don’t believe some of the write downs he is getting at the moment on this board, we are just going through a phase of distancing one who was once dear to our hearts, he will be an exceptional player for you guys.

For a guy his size, Hogan has exceptional aerobic capacity, and therefore would be well suited to a game plan that requires forwards to roam the length of the ground. Don’t worry if he gets the ball on the wing or on the flanks, he is a very smart user of the ball so will hit up a target for you further up the ground, or at least maintain possession. It wouldn’t surprise me if Lyon has had you guys playing this style with the knowledge of Hogan’s impending arrival. Hogan idolised Nick Riewoldt growing up so to be able to assume a similar role in a Ross Lyon team would hold appeal for him.

He is a massive upgrade on any of your current forwards but since he will get most of the attention from opposition defenders, it could allow guys like McCarthy and Kersten to get a new lease on life. Compared to May for us, he is a bigger get for you guys, since he has the capacity to completely transform your forward line and since he is so young will play for a decade, while we’ll be getting about 5 years out of May.

There’s no real way to avoid the fact that losing Hogan hurts us. We just mitigated the damage somewhat picking up May, which balances up our list a bit, although you could argue that we’ve gone from too many key forwards to too many key defenders. And this puts a lot of importance for us on Weidemann becoming a really consistent dangerous forward.

But back on Hogan, it is obvious that since his debut season he has been/ was struggling with things being so far away from his family while his father’s health declined. This sort of thing would cause distress for any young man as it did for Hogan, and it’s certainly no reflection of poor character for it to have affected him greatly. His season for us in 2015 was phenomenal not just because it was his first season, but because our team was really s**t then. Since then he has only really shown glimmers of his potential, which has been frustrating for us dees supporters since he is capable of so much more. But heading home now gives him the opportunity to get his head and body right and develop continuity in his performance which he has lacked since his debut season. He has always been good, but the injuries and emotional distress has hampered him from becoming great. Even in a half decent team, if he puts it all together he will become unstoppable and could well become the best forward in the league. Which makes him well worth the price of picks 6 and 23.

Don't pretend to speak for others, have been wanting him out of the side for a long time. Plenty of others aswell

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm changing my tune in light of his quotes about how he'd been feeling over the past few months, and broadly speaking since his dad died. Not an unreasonable thing to do? He will be a superstar at Fremantle now that he's home, just wasn't to be at Melbourne.

https://outline.com/nzAPD7

From The Australian, courtesy of a five minute Google search.

"He’s a young player with enormous talent and to get Jesse on board and committed to the footy club was fantastic,” Goodwin said yesterday on SEN.

“But most importantly, the way he’s come back into training on Monday, he’s run a personal best time, he’s come back with his body in elite condition and he’s setting himself for a really strong season.”

When? The message has always been that we don't want to let him go but will do what is best for him. Hogan's manager said after the trade was completed that he would have stayed if the Dees were based in Perth.

I've said this not long ago, but you put far too much stock in what people say to the media. Are you still recovering from the shock of Scully not being a one club player? Actions, not words.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide

I watched his highlight video of all his goals in 2018. A lot of them are deep 1 on 1’s, he won’t be getting those kind of situations at Fremantle as frequently. How does he play in general leading up/taking pack marks on the wing because our key forwards don’t actually play inside 50, they roam to half back and people wonder why we can’t score.

That’s up to Lyon and your forward coach to make it work, particularly as Lobb can play forward as well. at his best he is the top 5 in the league. I wish he was still with us but life goes on.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
A mercenary is someone who prioritises cash over ethics. He was clearly not fiercely loyal to Melbourne and wasn't going to wait a year to try and win a flag, so his priorities are probably a bit different to most footballers, but mercenaries are inherently defined by chasing money.

This quote interests me:

“Having other things on my mind probably started to affect my performance and my general wellbeing to the point where I started to venture into what might be best for me on and off the field.”

I'm not really sure where Topkent and a few others get the idea that he wasn't committed to his preparation, particularly in light of the improvements to his aerobic capacity in 17/18, but it does sound like he dropped the ball in a big way for a lot of 2018. Once his form fell off a cliff, it seems pretty clear he wasn't too focussed on getting back into it. I suspect once he's a year into his time at Freo, we'll see the same manic competitor we saw when he broke onto the scene with that strut inside the F50.

The fact that he was clearly never going to be motivated in r&b anymore means the club simply had to trade him.
He took a paycut to move to Freo. He’s not a mercenary, he just wanted to be around more family and friends following the passing of his father and his own health scare.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very sad to see Hogan go but I've been thinking it over. First of all it's kind of a relief, was sick of hearing every year that Hogan is homesick so now he's gone we can move on. Had a while to accept the trade pretty much played out exactly as expected. By the sounds of things Hogan really wanted to go home so more than I realised so in that case if he wanted out trading him was the right thing to do.

I also think getting May in is a great get. We are at the point where we are pushing for a grand final and our defense looks very strong now. Big problem was leaking goals and I think May really will fix this problem, also no eight goal hauls from that smug Hawkins.

Not really sure what to expect KK I never really paid too much attention to him but by the sound of things could be a very handy addition. I was the same with Hibberd was unsure but it turned out well so hopefully the same with kk.

The Pruess trade is a mystery but the club obviously has a plan and Tyson wanted more opportunity, he really helped the club when it was on it's knees but situation has changed and he's well down the order.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this list build. Bring on 2019.

He took a paycut to move to Freo. He’s not a mercenary, he just wanted to be around more family and friends following the passing of his father and his own health scare.

Isn’t that what I said?

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jesus, you plonkers can get hung up over a word. I was being casual with the word mercenary, sure. I just don't think he gives much of a rats about success in football. It's a meal ticket, it sets him up for a comfortable life. But if he wanted to win a flag, he went to the wrong club. More chance at the Dees. But by all means, keep getting upset about the dictionary definition of mercenary. I'm happy to keep using the term if it floats your boat to defend him against it. :p

Last edited:

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I wonder if picking weid up in the draft we knee that someday hogan was going to leave? Or was the plan originally to put hogan and weid together and we found a KPF in McDonald?

OMG the poor bugger!!!

Dp1_kQJV4AAAe6l.jpg
One of em looks very happy. Other...”what’ve I done?”

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Was a big fan, kid was a natural, could have been anything. Probably would be dirty if he didn't have a foot we were a chance to Trengove and/or if he was going to a good club. Can't say I really care in the end. Don't wish him well or ill in his career. I guess he'll get a heap of the ball chasing kicks on a s**t team. meh.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It seems a freo fan has just joined BigFooty and gone back to a 2015 thread where I commented that they kept missing big fish like Clark and Frawley. They liked my post. That person is quiet keen, I mean that was very relevant 3 years ago.

It seems a freo fan has just joined BigFooty and gone back to a 2015 thread where I commented that they kept missing big fish like Clark and Frawley. They liked my post. That person is quiet keen, I mean that was very relevant 3 years ago.
Stop making excuses mate, you ****ed up, take it like a man

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne

Got to give credit to Jesse and Goodwin

Goodwin wanted to keep him but he put everything a side to make sure Jesse heads back home to family for his mental state

Hogan is a very respectful man, never bagged the Club at all

Wish him everything but the best at Freo

bingers

Debutant
Mar 12, 2010
Northcote
AFL Club
Melbourne

Goodwin wanted to keep him but he put everything a side to make sure Jesse heads back home to family for his mental state

Disagree that Hogan is respectful.

The Club bent over backwards to look after him. He did not repay the loyalty/care shown by the Club over many years.

I don't wish him any harm, but I don't wish him good luck either.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Mate when has a player ever bagged his former club lol? I can't wait for every performance for freo being bumped into this thread as either vindication or proof we made a mistake. He's a Fremantle player, stuff him I say.

He played 71 games for us

Jordie McKenzie and Matthew Bate played more.

Will finish with ~150 for freo. He's not a Melbourne guy and never will be to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back