Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then this is where you and i disgress.

A complicating factor or a hard choice? Sure
A mitigating circumstance? Maybe

An excuse? Absolutely not.

The question is not whether that culture drives a compulsion to commit violent crimes of retribution, its about whether we will stand for that as a civilized society. I for one am not going to let the poor treatment of indigenous people cloud the fact that sanctioned, violent retribution is wrong, and should be called out as barbarism, whether its migrant gang violence from the 70s, or this case here.

The theological or cultural beliefs of any group should not be above the law in my view.

Replace indigenous people with some other groups of Australians who have traditionally practised some pretty unsavoury practises, and see if you would be so apologetic or understanding of them.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suppose my use of "excuse" was misleading and more accurate ways to describe the background to what happened would be how you put it, either "complicating factor" or "mitigating circumstances".

I, like you, definitely don't think that just because he's indigenous and that's his culture think what he did is alright.

In essence, I agree with everything you mention in this post. My goal was to shed some light on the mitigating circumstances (see what I did there) surrounding Jurrah's fall from grace.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Machete attacks are another one of those peculiar social situations that are difficult for some people to understand, much like determining when to use the dessert spoon, entree knife, soup spoon etc at formal dinner parties.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Machete attacks are another one of those peculiar social situations that are difficult for some people to understand, much like determining when to use the dessert spoon, entree knife, soup spoon etc at formal dinner parties.

Or people allegedly hiding behind tribal law as an excuse for incestuous rape of a minor

oops, did i post that?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
and Jesse Hogan, the subject of this thread, is not so far as I know indigenous.

While it’s been great hearing so many voices and viewpoints on a range of issues, could I ask that if anyone wants to further debate these matters head off to a general discussion thread where you can prosecute your view to your hearts content. And believe me you can find multiple voices on any side of an issue to really peel back the loose skin of any matter you choose.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Or people allegedly hiding behind tribal law as an excuse for incestuous rape of a minor

oops, did i post that?
Yeah you did. Unless it has some relevance to Hogan though let’s leave it for this thread thanks. There are boards on Bigfooty where you can play out this stuff.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I hope you don’t mind but I’m keen to go to bed, and since no other mods are around I’m locking this one for now given it has truly departed from the topic.

It will get unlocked once I wake up or another mod appears for any further Hogan style discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back