Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Good news!

He probably is tracking for a return in the Hawthorn game. Can't see him being selected to play in Perth
Named in the bests today. I reckon one more week and bring him back in against the Hawks.

I've heard that it was always the plan that if there were no hiccups, he'd return on the Friday night against the Dawks. Club wants a big crowd for this home game and it's the lead-in to the 150th function as well! They initially thought it might be an 8 pointer to make the finals too. His minutes over the past 3 matches have been managed with Friday August 2 in mind. Obviously it was always best case scenario, so plans can change if he is in any way sore or not mentally right to return.

67774655_125637495358931_8138425374633141638_n.jpg

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seeing him today you wouldn’t have thought he’d just returned from such significant injuries. Probably played around 50-60% of the game. Took some nice marks and made a number of good thumping spoils.

we've missed that badly in 2019, if he can get back close to the form of 18, sheesh we're well on the way. fingers crossed.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've heard that it was always the plan that if there were no hiccups, he'd return on the Friday night against the Dawks. Club wants a big crowd for this home game and it's the lead-in to the 150th function as well! They initially thought it might be an 8 pointer to make the finals too. His minutes over the past 3 matches have been managed with Friday August 2 in mind. Obviously it was always best case scenario, so plans can change if he is in any way sore or not mentally right to return.
No offence to you, but I hope your mail is totally off the mark.

I’d be disappointed if Maj was used as a marketing tool for a game.

The media is going to make a massive deal of it anyway.

The question for the club - and for Maj - is whether they aim to get out in front of that, and try and control it somewhat (if that's even possible).

Whatever the club does, I hope they only do what Maj agrees to.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope they ice it all for the rest of the year.

Let him build some momentum and game time in the VFL and get his confidence back. Unleash him round 1 next year.
It's a complex situation and I was just hoping Maj would get half a dozen games in the VFL for the year. But Maj has clearly set himself to get back in the seniors this season and I would guess this motivation is an important part of his recovery. The question is whether he is match ready, both physically and psychologically. No doubt his return will have a significant impact on the team and club as a whole, although the risk of a letdown would be real. I think this weekend's VFL game at Arden St will tell us everything in terms of whether he is going to return against the Hawks. A solid game and running out the 4 quarters would make it more likely than not. Personally, I would be over the moon to see him return for the Friday night game and will try and drag my South Sudanese friends along to celebrate.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Reckon it would be best for him to get a game or two this year (assuming he is physically up to it of course) otherwise the pressure and hype will just build and build over the preseason and become a distraction for Maj imo

Reckon it would be best for him to get a game or two this year (assuming he is physically up to it of course) otherwise the pressure and hype will just build and build over the preseason and become a distraction for Maj imo
I agree but it has to be in Melbourne. It'll be like the McCartney game, a must attend that will be remembered for years to come. That would mean either the Hawks next week or the Power game the two weeks later.

Might not be until our last rd game.......

If it is that game we’ll have the double benefit of Maj returning to send Jordan Lewis off into retirement being carried off the ground.........on a stretcher after Maj reprises his shirtfront from last time they met. :delicious:

Back