Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

It's unbelievable how easily he wins the centre bounce tap every time - and against blokes who are 8 cm's taller than him. And he doesn't just win it - he gets a clean palm to position - basically worthy of a handball.

His vertical leap and timing of the jump are the best in the business - NicNat close behind him but I would back Maj to win the tap 9 times out of 10.
A couple of times yesterday I was reminded of that famous Micheal Jordan silhouette - the Air Jordan logo. He was just a little bit like that.

It makes me wonder how good he would have been with no Goldy playing for us for the last decade. Perhaps in the same league as Goldy. One of those things we will never know.

I'll be honest. I think know I've been depressed since he jumped.

I feel like a huge weight has lifted off me. It was within a few weeks of my old man dying, I was down in Melbourne dealing with follow up stuff and my thoughts on the media coverage of the pseudo gang crisis are in this thread for anyone to read. I was disgusted then when I heard this news and wasn't sure he'd live let alone play footy again I was disgusted. I honestly felt ashamed at what waste of sporting talent and a bit of national unity (remember the Swans game that year?) Anyway enough of that now.

It's a massive relief to see him back playing the sort of athletic eye catching footy we always knew he was capable of.

It's a real moment and something Maj, the club and everyone who has supported him on his journey back to footy should be proud of. It might not seem like it but it's probably as good a thing as winning a flag.

Speaking of which....

Before he ran out of legs yesterday he was one of the most dominant and influential players on the ground. With a full team and him at his best we are a flag threat right now. Hard to believe given this season but there you go.

A couple of times yesterday I was reminded of that famous Micheal Jordan silhouette - the Air Jordan logo. He was just a little bit like that.

It makes me wonder how good he would have been with no Goldy playing for us for the last decade. Perhaps in the same league as Goldy. One of those things we will never know.

Daw can only do his current thingies with goldie. Daw is an excellent 'nothing' type player in that because of his culture and upbringing, a mechanical regimented playing book would not suit him at all and that's why he struggled for any sort of consistency from 2010 until he was given the defense duty plus some free floating ruck plus pinch hit forward. The club is finally started to pick up on best practices in regards to highly talented but difficult to manage players. If we are pencilling him in as a specific type of player, i.e. power marking forward that roams the forward 50 then it adds stress to him which will result in injury because Daw would be doing stuff that his body is not used to. I do believe the same mistake might be happening with Woods in that we seem to have a role pencilled in for him without giving regards to the suitability of the player. The team has to also evolve by the players we have at disposal. I really want to see Woods being trialled at half back, Atley in the middle, Polec centersquare on-ball. These are players at the peak of their power so they need to be given output equivalent to their maturity. Also new roles mean new learning, and learning means growth. If there is no growth one will get stagnant and complacent and eventually going backwards. Players like Atley, McMillan, Polec can give no more from their existing roles but adding new job descriptions, they might pick up new skills hencing opening up new opportunities that might actually make them flourish.

Kangaroos will need to see plenty more magic from Majak to table a contract extension – but the signs are promising
The return of Majak Daw undoubtedly made North Melbourne a better side and added the X-Factor the Shinboners have been desperately lacking. And it could go a long way to securing him a contract extension.

Majak Daw’s emotional return to AFL could have been a worthy end point to a courageous comeback just like Jason McCartney before him.
McCartney hung up the boots that glorious night aware he had nothing left in the tank.

But behind the emotion of Daw’s remarkable comeback after nearly ending his own life was a performance that showed he might just be getting started.

In 2018, Daw ranked second in contested marks behind Jeremy McGovern from Round 3 onwards as he found his niche as an intercepting defender.

Now, Daw might contend with Levi Casboult and Aliir Aliir as football’s most versatile player.

Against Adelaide he started as a key forward, spent time roaming the ground as a ruck and then marched forward again to kick that emotional goal.

He took the second-most intercept marks on the ground, was targeted six times inside 50 (second for the game) and thrilled Rhyce Shaw with his strong tap-work and second efforts in close.

North Melbourne will want to see more of that to hand him another contract for 2021 but Daw, 30 next March, gives this side so much versatility and flexibility.

How much?

Todd Goldstein had spent the previous three games playing 100 of 105 minutes, 93 of 97 minutes and 97 of 102 minutes.

Against Adelaide he roamed around as the game’s best player playing just 86 of 108 minutes, perfectly fresh to take on Geelong in four days’ time instead of run ragged.

The challenge now for Daw is to channel Goldstein’s fitness.

His pectoral injury held him back this year, but he has also taken months to get back to full fitness, Daw interchanged seven times yesterday as a burst player.

He will need to show he can build on that 70 per cent game time to ensure he’s part of the club’s plans next season.

Former North Melbourne midfielder Nick Dal Santo told the Herald Sun yesterday if Daw needed more consistency he was still capable of feats not many were capable of in the AFL.

“He has changed his game. He has improved his ability to read the ball and he wasn’t always able to do that before,” he said.

“Even those intercept marks, it is stuff he hasn’t been able to do consistently.

“He just gives them a different look. He helps Goldstein, he helps the forward line by soaking up a key defender and he gives them a choice to do something different with Nick Larkey or Cam Zurhaar or Robbie Tarrant.

“It allows the dominos to fall differently for other blokes.”

There is no greater live kill at present than an Adelaide side rebuilding and on its knees because of injuries to key players.

But in Daw’s performance yesterday there was a strong argument that he has been exactly what they have been missing amid a barren losing stretch.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daw can only do his current thingies with goldie. Daw is an excellent 'nothing' type player in that because of his culture and upbringing, a mechanical regimented playing book would not suit him at all and that's why he struggled for any sort of consistency from 2010 until he was given the defense duty plus some free floating ruck plus pinch hit forward. The club is finally started to pick up on best practices in regards to highly talented but difficult to manage players. If we are pencilling him in as a specific type of player, i.e. power marking forward that roams the forward 50 then it adds stress to him which will result in injury because Daw would be doing stuff that his body is not used to. I do believe the same mistake might be happening with Woods in that we seem to have a role pencilled in for him without giving regards to the suitability of the player. The team has to also evolve by the players we have at disposal. I really want to see Woods being trialled at half back, Atley in the middle, Polec centersquare on-ball. These are players at the peak of their power so they need to be given output equivalent to their maturity. Also new roles mean new learning, and learning means growth. If there is no growth one will get stagnant and complacent and eventually going backwards. Players like Atley, McMillan, Polec can give no more from their existing roles but adding new job descriptions, they might pick up new skills hencing opening up new opportunities that might actually make them flourish.

Insert Billy Madison everyone is dumber for listening to this gif here

I'm not quite sure what I just read there, but I certainly feel a lot dumber after reading it.

B3D4DF5B-A618-47E9-BB15-56382822F8A0.jpeg

This is going to be an ageless image. Outstanding photography. Should be short listed for awards. Kudos to the photographer.

View attachment 926139
I know as a footy fan nothing compares to the experience of winning a flag or a final but those of us who witnessed it as we stood and roared in the stands know how lucky we were to be part of this moment. It will be an experience I treasure forever.

Last edited:
Forget about all that for a minute, he makes us better on field now.
For once this year, we weren’t beaten in the air.
He didn’t play the best game but how damn important was he just getting the ball to ground, never beaten.
meant our defence could setup..
Wouldn’t be surprised if we shock a few teams in the coming weeks..

Well done Maj, welcome back!

Spot on, when he went forward, he competed in the air and brought the ball to ground, which is unfortunately what BBB hasn't been doing. Helped that Adelaide are barely SANFL level as well.....Good stuff from Rhyce and the coaching staff to make a statement with those omissions.

Huh?

I think I sort of get where you’re coming from, RR. But, jeez, you really need to work on certain aspects of how you’re expressing yourself in this instance. You’ve left your post so open to (mis)interpretation here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back