Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Maj nearly turned the game on his own - his ruck work again was phonomenal - caused Scott to have to adjust his midfield when he was otherwise in cruise control.

All Maj needs is some continuity - a very dangerous player in what is otherwise a meh team atm.

Doesn't get beaten in the forward line and dominants the centre square - and that's after 2 games back!

He will be a key for us next year.

What a pity we screwed up the centre bounce so badly when we got within 15 points. We were flying with all the momentum.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What a pity we screwed up the centre bounce so badly when we got within 15 points. We were flying with all the momentum.

Geelong got a couple of very flukey goals tonight also.

They're clearly ahead of us right now, but they do not impress me.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
was watching us get beat and towards the end of the game, my crazy mind had a vision of Maj opening the bowling for the Windies in the 80's. New ball of course.

Love him, and he is one of the very few exciting footballers that we have and that makes me kind of sad.

Roberts, Holding, Garner, Daw. Croft unlucky.

First change for mine.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Best thing is he has improved his forward craft. positioning and movement patterns look much better then prior 2018 when he seemed lost. He's been so close to clunking a few but is at least getting to the positions, whereas Brown this season has looked nothing of the sort

was watching us get beat and towards the end of the game, my crazy mind had a vision of Maj opening the bowling for the Windies in the 80's. New ball of course.

Love him, and he is one of the very few exciting footballers that we have and that makes me kind of sad.

Agree Maj has been exciting to watch.

FWIW - I find Mahony, Curtis, Larkey, Anderson, Jy and Zurhaar exciting too.

Maj is next level but I do think there is some excitement there.

Even Walker I have to say Gets me up and about snd Bailey now I’m thinking about it

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best thing is he has improved his forward craft. positioning and movement patterns look much better then prior 2018 when he seemed lost. He's been so close to clunking a few but is at least getting to the positions, whereas Brown this season has looked nothing of the sort

It's taken a while but one thing that stands out now is just that Maj now reads the play well and now has a good footy IQ for the game with experience and the steep learning curve he dealt with as a player early on, which imo was his biggest knock, he just looked lost for a lean few years, it wasn't until 2018 that he improved but now he looks even more improved.

The hard work pays off.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's taken a while but one thing that stands out now is just that Maj now reads the play well and now has a good footy IQ for the game with experience and the steep learning curve he dealt with as a player early on, which imo was his biggest knock, he just looked lost for a lean few years, it wasn't until 2018 that he improved but now he looks even more improved.

The hard work pays off.

It's better, but I still wouldn't claim it was "good"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong got a couple of very flukey goals tonight also.

They're clearly ahead of us right now, but they do not impress me.

I think they were up and about for this game too, which led to them getting the benefit of what appeared to be quite a few lucky bounces. There were a few occasions where the ball came to ground in a one-on-one marking contest, where the Geelong player just turned around and the ball appeared to bounce straight into their lap. Maybe, my frustrated imagination at play here, but...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good for what it used to be is the inference, and it used to be god awful.
I remember seeing him at Werribee one afternoon, after he kicked that goal at Victoria Park taking bounces from the defensive 50 to outside forward 50; a few weeks later he tries the same thing at Werribee, with another Bee player running close ready to take the receive; Maj ignores that option and gets run down from behind, holding the ball. As it was unfolding, you had this sense he was thinking 'this is what I do, I know how to do this', like it was the only thing he know how to do. Brad Scott moving him into defence was the difference, easier to understand the game with it in front of you, and having to take the responsibility for an opponent, rather having to make the play as a forward. Why it took so long is hard to understand in retrospect

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's an amazing athlete and reads the ball in the air as well as any other player. Since settling in defense it's not often you notice him attacking a contest and mistiming it.

Not having a go at his football IQ or anything, it's pretty clear it's improved, but I think the main difference between the days where he was stuck in no man's land (figuratively with his career, and literally in terms of where he would find himself on a football field) and where he's at now is that he much better understands what his own strengths and limits on the field are in terms of the contests he can and can not impact. Throw in a more than liberal dash of confidence that comes from his success and suddenly the entire game opens up for him. As long as he maintains his health and confidence I can't see him taking a step back any time soon, if anything he probably still has room to improve.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
*Malcolm Marshall enters the chat*

Enters it? He just about takes over the conversation. None of the others could bend it both ways like him at that pace.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will be the supercharged version of Leigh Brown. He is the everywhere man. In the hands of a good coach, he is an unpolished gem. In the hands of a mediocre coach that lacks imagination, he is a liability.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
Enters it? He just about takes over the conversation. None of the others could bend it both ways like him at that pace.
Bouncer was up there with the best of them. Didn't have the height advantage of a Holding, Garner, Ambrose but put many a batsman on his arse through sheer pace.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes Marshall was fantastic as was Ambrose.

I actually feel for the likes of Wood, Laird Kim Hughes . I think they’d have batted very well outside of that brutal West Indies era .

Maj could play as the all rounder .Erratic with the ball but could produce the occasional unplayable delivery . Handy with the bat too !

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's an amazing athlete and reads the ball in the air as well as any other player. Since settling in defense it's not often you notice him attacking a contest and mistiming it.

Not having a go at his football IQ or anything, it's pretty clear it's improved, but I think the main difference between the days where he was stuck in no man's land (figuratively with his career, and literally in terms of where he would find himself on a football field) and where he's at now is that he much better understands what his own strengths and limits on the field are in terms of the contests he can and can not impact. Throw in a more than liberal dash of confidence that comes from his success and suddenly the entire game opens up for him. As long as he maintains his health and confidence I can't see him taking a step back any time soon, if anything he probably still has room to improve.

He looks so good when he’s enjoying his footy.

117750224_3145399202241274_5583794509753283509_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back