Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Its hard work getting around outside of a town. Pavements make it easier for people with leg injuries and hip problems to walk around. the paddocks at my place are uneven and potentially dangerous. I did my hammy playing footy once and was on crutches for a few days. It was really hard to do anything outside the house. I mean hobble to the car, check the mail (50 metres of uneven driveway), get to then sit in the garden. Maj is welcome to stay at my place if he wants during his recovery but I dunno how good an idea that would be before he was "fully"^ mobile. That said I bet he'd love somewhere like Byron Bay.

^edited to add "fully" as in the best recovery he can make.

My thoughts also go out to the playing group. Does anyone have any insights as to what the club is doing for them, and how they are coping.

I spoke to Jed Anderson at the club yesterday. They were struggling and hurting but the club's looking after them. Don't want to say more than that.

Scummy ****s.

We have been absolutely open to these f***s and then we ask for one modicum of privacy for one of our blokes and they do this s**t.

IMHO a tweet from Heath is not enough Buckley should call another press conference and tear the ****s apart.

Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference in this case but we have been an easy target for years, not sure why we'd think it would change now.

Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference in this case but we have been an easy target for years, not sure why we'd think it would change now.

Ironically the media claim to love the access North give them. I’ve heard many journalists say we're the best club to deal with. Be nice if they showed a bit of love back the other way

Of course. That's exactly what I said. Just that if they are they will look for funding to support it and highlight "see we are good people!!! see!!!"

People that pin it on the AFL are going a bit overboard, but I think the onus is on them now to do whatever they can to get ahead. The questions have been asked for a while now and I think now is the time.

Which is why you book them in for mandatory meetings once a fortnight.

Exactly. There doesn't need to be anything wrong. Could just be a simple Likert scale to get them thinking at least or asking how they felt after the game / social media etc. Just opening up and a player may find an underlying issue.

I think a mandatory meeting once a fortnight with an open door policy for a few hours here and there for drop-ins or even just a 10-min chat.
Exactly. You normalise it. Even if there are no major issues to chat about, or even minor issues, whatever. You get in, chat, head off. Everyones doing it so no ones the only one. Sure, there's always perspectives around voluntary and involintary engagement but a worker worth their salt knows this and works with it. But if the only requirement is be there then the power still remains with them to talk, and most importantly the opportunity.

The other concern would be the connection with the mental health worker, cause not everyone clicks with all workers. So you give an option for replacement, like you can see you're own preferred if you like but on the same schedule as everyone else. You wont be worse off for it, you wouldn't ditch a rehab session, this has to be the same level as that.

Ironically the media claim to love the access North give them. I’ve heard many journalists say we're the best club to deal with. Be nice if they showed a bit of love back the other way
Give an inch take a mile.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is nothing wrong with holding onto some hope that he will come back one day.
His injuries are very serious, however with good surgeons he cold be walking even running in 6 months, that ofcourse is taking into account that his injuries are hip and pevic related and no spinal damage.

Got nothing to lose so im gona keep hoping he makes a recovery to run out again some day.

I remember watching an episode of "I shouldn't be alive" where an elite female distance runner went out for her usual training run. She slipped and slid down the side of a canyon before a sheer 20 meter drop at the end where she landed on her feet and shattered her pelvis. After trying in vain to drag herself along the ground for 2 and a half days to get out, she gave in. Lucky for her, her dog was able to alert rescuers in time to save her.

I believe she went through an extensive rehabilitation, learning to walk etc, but is now back running again. I guess you can never say never and given that Maj is a very fit individual, a return may still be possible one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if its been written earlier cbfd scrolling through 50 pages but i thought Schwattas interview the other morning with the Bolte Bridge in the background was poor. Didn't sit well with me at all. Not the interview, just the location.

Saw this and thought it was pathetic. Schwatta should have known better. It was cheap. Expected from channel 9, not from him.

I hope the following happens at the next club media conference.

*Buckley steps in from the side* "anyone here from the Hun?"

*reporter tentatively raises hand at the front of the pack*

Buckley: "on your bike son. Nothing for you here."

I hope the following happens at the next club media conference.

*Buckley steps in from the side* "anyone here from the Hun?"

*reporter tentatively raises hand at the front of the pack*

Buckley: "on your bike son. Nothing for you here."
Just give them totally false info pre game. “Yeah nah, we’re excited to introduce Ben Brown in his new role as a key defender, and we have rookie listed Brent Harvey and expect his comeback match any day now”

Just give them totally false info pre game. “Yeah nah, we’re excited to introduce Ben Brown in his new role as a key defender, and we have rookie listed Brent Harvey and expect his comeback match any day now”
Alternatively, spill that we are changing to 6 games in Tassie when it's a fat lie.

For the pure shitstorm.

This looks like some promising news... from the age...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...n-mobility-after-surgery-20181220-p50nhd.html

"
North Melbourne player Majak Daw was having surgery on Thursday for the injuries he sustained earlier this week.

Daw was scheduled to have surgery to repair multiple fractures to his pelvis, which he suffered after an incident on the Bolte Bridge on Monday night.

6d4bede99f58f93260d9a7cffb0f38270472d3dd

Majak Daw is undergoing surgery on Thursday.CREDIT:AAP

Assuming the surgery is successful, Daw is expected to be fully mobile again at some point.

After recently losing a close friend (ex AFL player) in a car accident, you just want to ask them why? It could have been avoided without going into specifics. With Maj (although totally different) its a different kettle of fish but at least there is some good to come from this as hopefully we can find out why. If not us then the powers that be. If this leads to better understanding and it can save 1 life going forward then this will be not only a wake up call for us, but set a standard going forward for all of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back