Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Please take your negativity away and leave this thread. We're here to help one of our own heal.

roojor, thank you for all you do as a First Responder. I work in the field of veterinary medicine, and I too have seen some things that simply cannot be explained. I think it's completely fair and true to say we can have both. There is so much more to healing than just medicine.

Negativity? I'm praising the medical professionals who save lives and probably saved Majak's life, stealing their credit and giving it to magic is an insult.

People who dedicate their lives to helping others deserve all the credit they get.

Thanks for the reports.

Quick question, regardless of why, is he in an ok head space considering? Some people can get really down when they have bad injuries, others can find a little light.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
All I know is he has been given a fair amount of privacy in his recovery and he has been recuperating quietly, with visiting family and friends giving their love. Everyone who visits has been asked not to ask anything of him and not to take photos. I have not personally visited Maj so my feedback is from my close friend who is very close to the Daw family and has been supporting them. It sounds like he is getting good care from the hospital, club, and friends and family, as we would assume. I just get asked for my thoughts as I have some experience in such situations and they know I am a North supporter and have referred to all the support coming from other supporters, so they want to share news of Maj's recuperation. But I don't ask much other than how he is going. Mostly, we talk about how the family and community are dealing with this situation.

So you saw people whose heart had stopped then it started again with no intervention? Have you informed the medical word that magic exists yet? They will be amazed to hear that

This thread does not exist for your curiosities with medical phenomena.

Leg it.

All I know is he has been given a fair amount of privacy in his recovery and he has been recuperating quietly, with visiting family and friends giving their love. Everyone who visits has been asked not to ask anything of him and not to take photos. I have not personally visited Maj so my feedback is from my close friend who is very close to the Daw family and has been supporting them. It sounds like he is getting good care from the hospital, club, and friends and family, as we would assume. I just get asked for my thoughts as I have some experience in such situations and they know I am a North supporter and have referred to all the support coming from other supporters, so they want to share news of Maj's recuperation. But I don't ask much other than how he is going. Mostly, we talk about how the family and community are dealing with this situation.

No worries, appreciate the feedback you give as it does give me personally a lot of hope that Maj will get through this and that is the big result here.

So you saw people whose heart had stopped then it started again with no intervention? Have you informed the medical word that magic exists yet? They will be amazed to hear that

I appreciate what you said about first responders, I'm one myself, but take your fundamentalist rationality to some other emotion free thread please. This ain't the place for it.

Majak does exist. This is his thread.

This is the issue that Maj's family and community aren't comfortable with, from what I've been hearing. Within the South Sudanese community, the term 'mental illness' is perceived differently to the traumatic effects of war and the refugee experience, so there has been a lot of unhappiness, even anger, about the public discussion around mental illness and Maj's situation. Australian society might be in the process of coming to terms with the complexities of mental illness but there is another layer of cultural and historical factors affecting the South Sudanese and other refugee communities. And Maj is one of the young generation 'caught in between' his Australian and South Sudanese identities, so negotiating this can get very messy.

I dunno if this is the place but our society struggles with the extremes of the human condition. Economic society has a need to control and regulate and manage every *en thing and sometimes they just can't be managed or controlled or regulated. Calling extreme reactions to stuff "mental health issues" is just another way of trying to control something that is by definition hard or impossible to control.

Sometimes things get too much and rationality doesn't cut it any more. Calm measured reactions to the intensity of life aren't enough to help us cope. If that's what happened with Maj its an enough of an explanation for me but frankly all i really care about is that he gets himself together and is in a good place afterward.

(BTW This isn't a criticism of "mental health" or any attempt to remove the stigma associated with it. Different cultures explain the world differently and they have different ways of dealing with or even just talking about these issues. The universe is an insane place - we seem to think are living in the last remnants of an explosion that appeared to spring from nowhere, out of nothing and in an instant. True or not its the most rational explanation we westerners have come up with.:eek: Frankly if living in such a world doesn't make you a little crazy at times you are ****ed in the head.)

I dunno if this is the place but our society struggles with the extremes of the human condition. Economic society has a need to control and regulate and manage every ****en thing and sometimes they just can't be managed or controlled or regulated. Calling extreme reactions to stuff "mental health issues" is just another way of trying to control something that is by definition hard or impossible to control.

Sometimes things get too much and rationality doesn't cut it any more. Calm measured reactions to the intensity of life aren't enough to help us cope. If that's what happened with Maj its an enough of an explanation for me but frankly all i really care about is that he gets himself together and is in a good place afterward.

(BTW This isn't a criticism of "mental health" or any attempt to remove the stigma associated with it. Different cultures explain the world differently and they have different ways of dealing with or even just talking about these issues. The universe is an insane place - we seem to think are living in the last remnants of an explosion that appeared to spring from nowhere, out of nothing and in an instant. True or not its the most rational explanation we westerners have come up with.:eek: Frankly if living in such a world doesn't make you a little crazy at times you are ****** in the head.)
It's a real discussion. Didn't an AFL survey identify mental health as the dominant issue for players?

Snake raised these philosophical questions around the human condition earlier too. It's the western, middle class conundrum of achieving material life aspirations but many still not being happy. Our rational individualism sometimes seems so complicated. Thank goodness for pigskins, shinboners, and Big Footy.

Camus (one of my heroes) also stated that, "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion", and ultimately this is the mantra by which I live my life.

The darkness ascends upon us all at times throughout our lives, and I believe the ultimate meaning of life is to live your life in such defiance of the darkness that you burn as bright white light.

Your only option is to go all the way.

We have to imagine Sisyphus as happy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still recovering in hospital. It's going to be a long haul, both physically and psychologically. It's good at least that the media vultures have lost interest or got the message to back off (unlikely as that would seem).
Yes. My only news has been that the physical damage to his hips/pelvis was massive as you could imagine and the recovery will be long. Just keep sending positive thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt he will be home for a few weeks yet, then it will be intensive physio combined with counseling.

I hope his anonymity is maintained.

Still recovering in hospital. It's going to be a long haul, both physically and psychologically. It's good at least that the media vultures have lost interest or got the message to back off (unlikely as that would seem).
Thanks. My thoughts are with him. Everyone have a safe and fun new year tonight and may every ones 2019 be the same :)

Coincidentally found myself driving under the bridge at Lorimer St this afternoon. Paused for a moment and gave thanks that he survived the fall. It truly is a miracle, I don't care what anyone says. Best wishes and hopefully a much happier new year to Majak, his family, and all who are close to him.

I just wanted to say that Majak is still very much in my thoughts. I know it will be a long road to recovery for him but I hope that everything is progressing well and that 2019 is a wonderful year that truly makes him happy.

Not enquired into this since the last post but heard tonight that Maj is going well and family was all together. Pretty much all you can hope for over the holiday season.

I don't know how others are feeling now about this situation with Majak, but he has dominated my thoughts ever since the news broke. I can't help thinking how terrible he must have been feeling, to take the action he took. It is an awful situation for him and anyone else feeling the same sorts of life experiences/pressures. I just hope one day he gets to read what we have been saying here so that he might realise how important he is in our thinking and that this helps him in his recovery. Sadly many others are in the same position and won't have anywhere near the level of love that Majak hopefully feels coming from the football world and the NMFC in particular.

A family friend is close to the Daws and has been for many years. She visited Majak in hospital over Christmas. She is not a footy person but said Brad and a few players were there when she was visited. She was happy and surprised to see that Majak is already walking again with the aid of a frame. He is in good spirits and is focused on recovering with the intention of getting back to playing. No discussion was had with respect to his mental state but rather everyone around him seems to be very supportive and encouraging which is good to hear.

A family friend is close to the Daws and has been for many years. She visited Majak in hospital over Christmas. She is not a footy person but said Brad and a few players were there when she was visited. She was happy and surprised to see that Majak is already walking again with the aid of a frame. He is in good spirits and is focused on recovering with the intention of getting back to playing. No discussion was had with respect to his mental state but rather everyone around him seems to be very supportive and encouraging which is good to hear.
Thanks for sharing that. We are all hoping for the best result.

No doubt media peeps with accounts here have read this..........which means you know his status. Thus no need to bug people.

Message to media:- you'll get your chance eventually. But all in good time.

Hello people

Good to read Majak's on the mend, i hope it sparks a bigger conversation about mental health in our society

Had a question, i've never heard of a broken hip for a footballer that i can remember; how long will that as a physical injury take to heal? would you expect him to be physically ready for round 1, 2020?

Hello people

Good to read Majak's on the mend, i hope it sparks a bigger conversation about mental health in our society

Had a question, i've never heard of a broken hip for a footballer that i can remember; how long will that as a physical injury take to heal? would you expect him to be physically ready for round 1, 2020?
Beau Dowler I think had a broken hip from a car accident
He came good physically, just wasnt upto it skill and commitment wise

Beau Dowler I think had a broken hip from a car accident
He came good physically, just wasnt upto it skill and commitment wise
Yep. I can only think of dislocations like the one suffered by Sam Day when he hyper-extended his leg. Dermie recalls his dislocated hip injury and said he was never the same.

Make no mistake it would be an incredible feat for Majak to come back from this injury. Factoring in his size and the pressures involved with AFL football...

Personally, I see a Jason McCartney-like story unfolding. Coming back against the odds, showing his determination, and then moving on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back