Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Staying the course is so you.

You’ve had strong opinions on Maj and stuck by them

You strike me as the sort of bloke that collects matchbox cars or some such bullshit.

All of this "I had faith" waffle, is for certified twits.

If you, or anyone else, think the Daw of the last month is a shadow of the player he was for the overwhelming majority of time before that, then you have officially lost the plot. No one I can remember in football history has come close to being carried to the extent he has been carried. He's a certified freak event.

Best North hands since Gary Dempsey.

gary-dempsey.jpg

:stern look

Something I never thought I'd say in my bloody life.
Gary Dempsey looks like John Holmes twin brother. Brothers from another mother

Can we stop derailing the Magic Majak feel good love thread with "I told you so" comments?

I for one hope he stays in the backline for the most part, it's very very refreshing knowing that a player will almost certainly take a mark if the ball goes to them. That combined with his speed and frame I hope he's given a license to take the game on from half back a little bit more (just quietly he has a great fend off), he can be an absolute weapon if used correctly.

Can we stop derailing the Magic Majak feel good love thread with "I told you so" comments?

I for one hope he stays in the backline for the most part, it's very very refreshing knowing that a player will almost certainly take a mark if the ball goes to them. That combined with his speed and frame I hope he's given a license to take the game on from half back a little bit more (just quietly he has a great fend off), he can be an absolute weapon if used correctly.
It depends. If posters copped s**t on here for sticking by a player why should they not be able to revel in it slightly when he has exceeded expectations. At the end of the day 99% of posters in here want North players to succeed but there are some that have stayed the course?! I've defended Jacobs (after the sydney final a few years back when certain posters kept reposting the gif of him falling over), Majak, and Jed for some time and had to look up stats etc. to strengthen my points and reinforce why I think they should stay on the list. Complaining about it is a bit rich because you can't have it both ways. Either eat humble pie or ignore it, simple really.

Last edited:
Hey, how can I argue with someone that would trade Goldstein and keep Preuss?
More so the poster that posted that comment. I found it quite funny tbh.

In fairness to the bull, I agree in that regard but I've wanted to trade Goldy for years. I just don't really rate ruckmen and would prefer to play a preuss type with a player like Maj/McKay swinging in to give a chop out. But wrong thread for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You strike me as the sort of bloke that collects matchbox cars or some such bullshit.

If you, or anyone else, think the Daw of the last month is a shadow of the player he was for the overwhelming majority of time before that, then you have officially lost the plot. No one I can remember in football history has come close to being carried to the extent he has been carried. He's a certified freak event.
He kicked 6 in his second game, took one of the greatest marks ever, and kicked 4 in a losing elimination final. He was crueled by injury which denied him any continuity at all and struggled to adapt to more rigorous attention from defenders, but the talent was always there. The club knew it (hence the 8 years), and lots of us knew it too and understood why he had a spot on our list.

You didn't, and while there's no shame in that (we've all been wrong about players); a lot of your comments over the last few years reflect very poorly on you as a person. Particularly stuff about him 'only being on the list because he's bloody sudanese', which is a pretty disgusting and also frankly ridiculous sentiment. Even when he started playing well, and receiving praise from coaches who know more about his role and KPIs than any of us, you continually slammed him (and anyone who suggested he was playing well) and ridiculed any suggestion he could ever make it as a key defender.

As for the second half of your post, Jed Anderson showed significantly less than Maj prior to this year, as have many others. So yeah, considering the amount of times you've called me a moron (and endless adjectives) for stating that I thought he had the ability to develop into a capable AFL player, I reckon I'm allowed this one 'I told you so' post :D

It depends. If posters copped s**t on here for sticking by a player why should they not be able to revel in it slightly when he has exceeded expectations. At the end of the day 99% of posters in here want North players to succeed but there are some that have stayed the course. I've depended Jacobs (after the sydney final a few years back when certain posters kept reposting the gif of him falling over), Majak, and Jed for some time and had to look up stats etc. to strengthen my points and reinforce why I think they should stay on the list. Complaining about it is a bit rich because you can't have it both ways. Either eat humble pie or ignore it, simple really.

Well i've never been a Maj doubter, or Jed doubter for that matter, but in regards to tef at least he has acknowledged (albeit reluctantly) Maj's improvement. It's more than you can say about some posters so it seems a bit petty to rub it in after the fact.

Either way though I think we all know what we can attribute Majak's continuity this season to:

kF3Uv5k.jpg

Well i've never been a Maj doubter, or Jed doubter for that matter, but in regards to tef at least he has acknowledged (albeit reluctantly) Maj's improvement. It's more than you can say about some posters so it seems a bit petty to rub it in after the fact.

Either way though I think we all know what we can attribute Majak's continuity this season to:

kF3Uv5k.jpg
I agree. I don't think tef should have it brought up every single game. A light dig here and there is harmless.

I've been saying for years "he just needs some continuation in his game!" and finally he's got that. It's exactly why I said he'll be AA in 2019 if he stays fit. A full pre-season, a chance to build some confidence on top of that...it has been amazing. I think many people over looked that. He blew up in games because he had no foundation. Not everyone is a ben brown like freak that can have no pre-season and then come out and have an impact. Testicles crossed Majak can stay fit. I've liked watching his season unfold in front of all of us.

Come on Tef, you’re smarter than that. It’s not like the club drafted him onto the rookie list and said "right, let’s cross our fingers for 8 years because he’ be good publicity for the huddle".

Most players, the ones who start playing competitive footy in under-9's, who get identified as potential talent at 11-12, are what they are by the time they get to 23-24. Nobody expected Aaron Mullett to have much improvement in him by the end of last year. Nobody expects Kayne Turner or Luke McDonald to improve in any way other than get fitter and tidy up their disposal as best they can. But at 23 Maj had just kicked 4 in a final, we had concerns about both ruck and key forward depth, and other clubs were sniffing around. And he had as many years of competitive footy under his belt as most 18yo draftees (albeit more of them in a professional system).

So when you say 8 years is it really the last 3 you’re complaining about? The first 3 were the Project Player phase and the next 2 was where he was supposed to make his mark. While that last contract might have been a bit generous,

1. It suited our list profile to hang on to him
2. It was reasonable to think he could still meaningfully improve.

So he didn’t improve in '17 as a R/F and they rolled the dice on a change of role. Better than running out his deal in the twos and we’re paying him anyway. And Taz moved from OK KPF to excellent full back at about the same age.

Yeah most project players would make it or not in 3-5 years. He’s lucky that circumstances lined up like they did for him.

Come on Tef, you’re smarter than that. It’s not like the club drafted him onto the rookie list and said "right, let’s cross our fingers for 8 years because he’ be good publicity for the huddle".

Most players, the ones who start playing competitive footy in under-9's, who get identified as potential talent at 11-12, are what they are by the time they get to 23-24. Nobody expected Aaron Mullett to have much improvement in him by the end of last year. Nobody expects Kayne Turner or Luke McDonald to improve in any way other than get fitter and tidy up their disposal as best they can. But at 23 Maj had just kicked 4 in a final, we had concerns about both ruck and key forward depth, and other clubs were sniffing around. And he had as many years of competitive footy under his belt as most 18yo draftees (albeit more of them in a professional system).

So when you say 8 years is it really the last 3 you’re complaining about? The first 3 were the Project Player phase and the next 2 was where he was supposed to make his mark. While that last contract might have been a bit generous,

So he didn’t improve in '17 as a R/F and they rolled the dice on a change of role. Better than running out his deal in the twos and we’re paying him anyway. And Taz moved from OK KPF to excellent full back at about the same age.

Yeah most project players would make it or not in 3-5 years. He’s lucky that circumstances lined up like they did for him.
The bloke would have got a gig at another club, would have reached his potential and we would be abusing our list managers for the next 10 years.

Come on Tef, you’re smarter than that. It’s not like the club drafted him onto the rookie list and said "right, let’s cross our fingers for 8 years ...........

Yeah, that pretty much was the case, as you alluded to later:

This criteria could have applied to any of a bunch of other players that weren't fortunate enough to get carried for years.

I am wrapped that Maj has finally come good (fingers crossed), but the rest of the bullshit surrounding him is off the charts.

He's a very, very fortunate player.

Not many other discarded players had the physical attributes or potential upside that Maj had.
In fact, precisely zero of them did.

That is purely the reason he stayed, plus the court case stuff I think. He has been a Rookie for at least 3 of his years and he had been handy back-up for Goldy during that time. In fact the potential plus the flexibility was exactly why he remained.

I received this email for an event I am attending next week. This is very disappointing for the students that arranged this event and booked Majak months ago.
What possibably could the players be going to in Sydney other than an end of season piss up.

Update on Speakers - Majak Daw
The St Bernard's College Social Justice Network is disappointed to announce that we have been informed by North Melbourne Football Club that Majak Daw is no longer available to speak at our event in person.

The players will be on a trip to Sydney as the club is not in contention for finals. A student has been invited to North Melbourne Football Club to interview Majak, which will be filmed and shown at the event.

We are excited to announce that we have added two new wonderful speakers to the evening. Brigid Arthur, co-founder of Brigidine Asylum Seeker Project (BASP) and tireless advocate for refugees and Biong Deng Biong, Executive Officer at Edmund Rice Services Limited (ERCRS), refugee from South Sudan and passionate promoter of social harmony and equality.

While we understand how eager many ticket holders were to hear Majak Daw speak in person, we know the event will be another inspirational and thought-provoking night for everyone, as we celebrate the contributions of refugees and asylum seekers to our nation through hearing their stories.

We apologise for any disappointment and thank you for your support.

Last edited:
I received this email for an event I am attending next week. This is very disappointing for the students that arranged this event and booked Majak months ago.
What possibably could the players be going to in Sydney other than an end of season piss up.

Update on Speakers - Majak Daw
The St Bernard's College Social Justice Network is disappointed to announce that we have been informed by North Melbourne Football Club that Majak Daw is no longer available to speak at our event in person.

The players will be on a trip to Sydney as the club is not in contention for finals. Mikhael Touma, student and speaker, has been invited to North Melbourne Football Club to interview Majak, which will be filmed and shown at the event.

We are excited to announce that we have added two new wonderful speakers to the evening. Brigid Arthur, co-founder of Brigidine Asylum Seeker Project (BASP) and tireless advocate for refugees and Biong Deng Biong, Executive Officer at Edmund Rice Services Limited (ERCRS), refugee from South Sudan and passionate promoter of social harmony and equality.

While we understand how eager many ticket holders were to hear Majak Daw speak in person, we know the event will be another inspirational and thought-provoking night for everyone, as we celebrate the contributions of refugees and asylum seekers to our nation through hearing their stories.

If you no longer wish to attend the evening, it would be very helpful for catering and event management purposes if you update your booking via Eventbrite.

You can do this by clicking "View or manage order" in the Your Tickets email you received from Eventbrite or via your Eventbrite account or the mobile app.

We apologise for any disappointment and thank you for your support.

yeah with Maj it takes about eight years for him to arrive, so line up tickets for the 2026 event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back